DMA-500 Anniversary Reference Monoblocks

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We should be so lucky

Yes, but considering that the 400s will continue as a product, until perhaps upgraded, it's not an unreasonable asking price

MM622

Jun 2, 2013
May I know this DMA-500 is a replacement product for DMA-400 or a limited production's product?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
They are both current products, and only a few select dealers can carry the 500s.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
They are both current products, and only a few select dealers can carry the 500s.

Any Eta on your pair ? Btw looks like the 300RS is being replaced by the 300SV. Which should be a 500 tech wise in a stereo amp configuration.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Any Eta on your pair ? Btw looks like the 300RS is being replaced by the 300SV. Which should be a 500 tech wise in a stereo amp configuration.

My pair arrived but I won't buy until I sell my 400s at a reasonable price. I am surprised that no owner of the 500s - and there are many - has not provided any listening impressions so far. For my impressions, you will just have to wait :cool: but for now, I will just quote the dealer's characterization as "pure and natural", and I am not basing this on what I hear in the store and with the Magico M3s.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
My pair arrived but I won't buy until I sell my 400s at a reasonable price. I am surprised that no owner of the 500s - and there are many - has not provided any listening impressions so far. For my impressions, you will just have to wait :cool: but for now, I will just quote the dealer's characterization as "pure and natural", and I am not basing this on what I hear in the store and with the Magico M3s.

Congrats and enjoy.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Since you can count the number of Spectral dealers on the fingers of one hand, it seems foolish to me that there is any distinction between a dealer and a 'select" dealer. Is there really?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Since you can count the number of Spectral dealers on the fingers of one hand, it seems foolish to me that there is any distinction between a dealer and a 'select" dealer. Is there really?

In the US, yes, it's silly, there is only two that carry the 500s. But there are another ~100 more around the world. It's sort of a reward to the best dealers. Nonetheless, I don't care for such business practices in high end audio, or other sh*t like one Pass dealer owning most of the US market, etc.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In the US, yes, it's silly, there is only two that carry the 500s. But there are another ~100 more around the world. It's sort of a reward to the best dealers. Nonetheless, I don't care for such business practices in high end audio, or other sh*t like one Pass dealer owning most of the US market, etc.

Pass has a unique approach. You can’t compare them to other brick and mortar dealerships. They are not direct to consumer but they’re not conventional dealership model either. The consumer happens to be very well served by the Pass model in my opinion. I would not compare Pass Labs to Spectral when I comes to marketing approach and other services. For instance almost all models are always available with in-home trials.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Pass has a unique approach. You can’t compare them to other brick and mortar dealerships. They are not direct to consumer but they’re not conventional dealership model either. The consumer happens to be very well served by the Pass model in my opinion. I would not compare Pass Labs to Spectral when I comes to marketing approach and other services. For instance almost all models are always available with in-home trials.

I think Pass has a sick sales model

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Warming up

Fascinating amplifiers, claimed to measure better than the 30SV preamp, including distortion... quite impressive... more to come

T5D_6136.JPG
T5D_6128.jpg

Last edited:

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
ack, two questions about the DMA 500, from your pictures. There appears to be a spacer under the knurled aluminum foot that the amp rests on, is this a compliant material? The wiring harness that connects the output stage to the speaker binding posts looks like the one used prior to the RS series amps, not the massive black ones they had, any explanation on this? I am looking forward to hearing these new amps, not sure where though now that Overture isn't a player. Thanks for your posting!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
ack, two questions about the DMA 500, from your pictures. There appears to be a spacer under the knurled aluminum foot that the amp rests on, is this a compliant material?

Yes it's Sorbothane. I will be adding a layer of Isodamp when I get off my butt one day

The wiring harness that connects the output stage to the speaker binding posts looks like the one used prior to the RS series amps, not the massive black ones they had, any explanation on this?

No idea; I can only guess that it's part of the overall capacitance and inductance of the circuit, possibly in conjunction with the speaker cables. There is no technical bulletin either for us to to be able to tell anything on this. I can also tell you that I briefly replaced the MIT speaker cables with some thin hook-up wire I have, in a test to make sure I didn't blow the speaker cables (see my system's thread discussion on this), and the amp ended up sounding literally like a 1960's hand-held transistor radio - no kidding.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
So Ack

given your experience with 400s and the DAC, were people right when they said the 400s were too bright and there was an issue

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing