Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DMA-500 Anniversary Reference Monoblocks

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdp632 View Post
    Congrats and enjoy.
    Thanks, but let's hold off until I actually buy them!
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    They are both current products, and only a few select dealers can carry the 500s.
    Since you can count the number of Spectral dealers on the fingers of one hand, it seems foolish to me that there is any distinction between a dealer and a 'select" dealer. Is there really?

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Since you can count the number of Spectral dealers on the fingers of one hand, it seems foolish to me that there is any distinction between a dealer and a 'select" dealer. Is there really?
    In the US, yes, it's silly, there is only two that carry the 500s. But there are another ~100 more around the world. It's sort of a reward to the best dealers. Nonetheless, I don't care for such business practices in high end audio, or other sh*t like one Pass dealer owning most of the US market, etc.
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    In the US, yes, it's silly, there is only two that carry the 500s. But there are another ~100 more around the world. It's sort of a reward to the best dealers. Nonetheless, I don't care for such business practices in high end audio, or other sh*t like one Pass dealer owning most of the US market, etc.
    Pass has a unique approach. You can’t compare them to other brick and mortar dealerships. They are not direct to consumer but they’re not conventional dealership model either. The consumer happens to be very well served by the Pass model in my opinion. I would not compare Pass Labs to Spectral when I comes to marketing approach and other services. For instance almost all models are always available with in-home trials.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Pass has a unique approach. You can’t compare them to other brick and mortar dealerships. They are not direct to consumer but they’re not conventional dealership model either. The consumer happens to be very well served by the Pass model in my opinion. I would not compare Pass Labs to Spectral when I comes to marketing approach and other services. For instance almost all models are always available with in-home trials.
    I think Pass has a sick sales model
    System link WBF

Warming up

Fascinating amplifiers, claimed to measure better than the 30SV preamp, including distortion... quite impressive... more to come

Name:  T5D_6136.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  1.62 MB
    Name:  T5D_6128.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  435.4 KB
    Last edited by ack; 05-24-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    System link WBF

ack, two questions about the DMA 500, from your pictures. There appears to be a spacer under the knurled aluminum foot that the amp rests on, is this a compliant material? The wiring harness that connects the output stage to the speaker binding posts looks like the one used prior to the RS series amps, not the massive black ones they had, any explanation on this? I am looking forward to hearing these new amps, not sure where though now that Overture isn't a player. Thanks for your posting!

Quote Originally Posted by edwardce View Post
    ack, two questions about the DMA 500, from your pictures. There appears to be a spacer under the knurled aluminum foot that the amp rests on, is this a compliant material?
    Yes it's Sorbothane. I will be adding a layer of Isodamp when I get off my butt one day

Quote Originally Posted by edwardce View Post
    The wiring harness that connects the output stage to the speaker binding posts looks like the one used prior to the RS series amps, not the massive black ones they had, any explanation on this?
    No idea; I can only guess that it's part of the overall capacitance and inductance of the circuit, possibly in conjunction with the speaker cables. There is no technical bulletin either for us to to be able to tell anything on this. I can also tell you that I briefly replaced the MIT speaker cables with some thin hook-up wire I have, in a test to make sure I didn't blow the speaker cables (see my system's thread discussion on this), and the amp ended up sounding literally like a 1960's hand-held transistor radio - no kidding.
    System link WBF

FWIW, I've been and will continue to be writing my impressions on these amps under my system thread, starting at http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post512724
    System link WBF

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234