Sony UHPH1 Universal Player Review

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Bad news, maybe. I still have to use a damn TV monitor.

I found that I had to download an app called "Music Server" to the UHP-H1 itself. It appears on the screen under "my apps." Finding this on the SONY website was circuitous at best. This application seems to be created for the Sony Walkman and the info hasn't been updated since! That app identifies a structure called Photos, Music, and Videos. One must have the (SONY) Music Center for PC (MCP) installed on the PC. This has its own structure that is like the normal music display of playlists, albums and so on of WMP, Roon, foobar, and so on. It does not match 1-1 with the Music Center. Once you get handshaking accomplished, there is a "Throw" option on the PC-based MCP that would seem to make the PC the master and the UHP-B1 the slave but at this point in my enquiry it seems one has to have both the PC and the Player running. There is also an HSEE processing option on MCP - do not know if I use this or the native DSEE processing on the UHP-H1.

What I want is the PC to push music to the UHP-H1. I want the player to recognize the PC if there is no disk in the SONY player and just play the music stream over my 155Mbs wifi. I don't want to turn on a monitor every time I try to do this. Time will tell. I can see why manufacturers are now putting apps on phones pad that control things to obviate the TV.

I am looking at this as educational - it shows that SONY is multimedia oriented with HSEE thrown in with SACD, DVDA as a bone to the audio enthusiast. I'm also getting a better feel for the structures of digital music. It is basically a server, streamer/renderer, DAC model that is a throwback to the old client/server model of computing with extra hardware thrown in. Reminds me of WNT networking.

I'm going to try to set the Music Server as the default app on the UHP-H1 when there is no disk. If not, I'll try other things to get rid of the damn flat screen. I'm also going to look for an iPhone app to control the damn UHP-H1 like OPPO and numerous other have. Maybe a "Walkman app!

Auto da Fe'.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Bso- I have played DSD files by plugging a thumb drive into the USB port in the front of the unit. I also have played files using Plex. To install Plex open the Opera app that comes with the UHPH1. When you open it you will see a message that they have changed the name from Opera to something else. Make sure Plex is running on your main PC. Then do a search for Plex within the app and install it. As long as the PC you have your DSD diles on has Plex installed they should play.

I happen to like the DAC on the UHPH1 better than the DAC on my Marantz 7702 for music. Make sure you go into settings and then Audio. I have the bit rate set for the highest resolution and have DSEE HX (the digital enhancement engine) turned on. Having this turned on makes a major improvement to my ear.

I even compared the analog out of the UHPH1 with my Bluespond Node on the same track. I preferred the UHPH1 as long as DSEE HX was engaged.
I compared a 96/24 track via USB to the same song streaming on Spotify. As long as the DSEE HX was engaged I think it was too close to call and would have a hard time telling the difference. Without DSEE HX I really don't like the SQ of Spotify but with it engaged it sounds nice.

Do need to have TV in the room after you have set things up? I found PLEX vague on their website - I have no idea what it does - you were more eloquent. I tried downloading it and it didn't seem to work but I think I had the PC and the UHP-H1 on different WiFi bands.

Did you have to download the Sony Music Server app in order to get your setup to work?

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Now UHP-H1 stopped working for some unknown reason. This is like networking in the 90's - I'm done - supposed to have fun with a hobby - like a bad job of work.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing