Sony UHPH1 Universal Player Review

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I can't believe what Sony delivered in this player. First of all a great DAC for music. I stream from the PC to the UHPH1 using Jamcast and bypass the need for USB. Compared to the DAC in my Marantz 7702 processor this sounds more open and closer to vinyl. If I only used this player as a DAC it would be well worth the $300 investment. Then you add the streaming ability. It has a lot of apps and I can stream Amazon video, Hulu, YouTube, Vudu, Spotify etc. The VQ is excellent and the player can upscale to 4K (but does not play 4K discs) and 3D. I have a 3D projector (but not 4K) and both the upscaling and native 3D are excellent. The player can decode BRD or send a bitstream to your processor. I let the player decode unless it is an Atmos or Auro 3D disc. This machine also does gaming. I got a wireless controller and a Sony Playstion online subscription with access to 250 games. I have not tried SACD's or DVD-A yet but will soon. I don't think I ever received better value for a purchase, this machine costs less than one of my cables! Highly recommended.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
This is great to hear. Imho Sony has made some giant killers. Thanks for posting.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I can't believe what Sony delivered in this player. First of all a great DAC for music. I stream from the PC to the UHPH1 using Jamcast and bypass the need for USB. Compared to the DAC in my Marantz 7702 processor this sounds more open and closer to vinyl. If I only used this player as a DAC it would be well worth the $300 investment. Then you add the streaming ability. It has a lot of apps and I can stream Amazon video, Hulu, YouTube, Vudu, Spotify etc. The VQ is excellent and the player can upscale to 4K (but does not play 4K discs) and 3D. I have a 3D projector (but not 4K) and both the upscaling and native 3D are excellent. The player can decode BRD or send a bitstream to your processor. I let the player decode unless it is an Atmos or Auro 3D disc. This machine also does gaming. I got a wireless controller and a Sony Playstion online subscription with access to 250 games. I have not tried SACD's or DVD-A yet but will soon. I don't think I ever received better value for a purchase, this machine costs less than one of my cables! Highly recommended.
I didn't care for the sound of the analog output which is used when functioning as a DAC: Thin and flat.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That looks like a great choice for $300. The trade off seems you can play 4K discs but no analog RCA connections so you can't use it as a DAC. That's a smart choice by Sony though because people will buy this primarily for the video and leaving off those RCA connections is how they can bring it in for under $300.

You are right, no analog jacks, for that you'll have to go with Oppo. :b ...Or Panasonic. ...And for more money too.
Still, eventually the street price of that Sony machine (HDMI and digital coaxial connections) will hit $199, or less.
And remember; it can not only play 4K Blu-rays but also 3D Blu-rays, regular Blu-rays, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, CD, SACD, ...multichannel.
Brief, it's a today universal machine for the price of a bag of chips.

By the way, Sony has an upper level 4K BR universal player, the UBP-X1000ES, with stereo analog out, but in my opinion it is too expensive and lacking in some primordial features. And but but but; it's only for audio dealer installers, for system integration.
http://theusbport.com/sony-unveils-the-ubp-x1000es-an-universal-4k-blu-ray-player/16495

* What is the best DAC for less than $200? :b

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I didn't care for the sound of the analog output which is used when functioning as a DAC: Thin and flat.

My experience was the opposite, when I used the DACs in my 7702 it sounded good, but when I switched to the Sony there was more air around cymbals, depth to the bass and vocals seemed more natural. Thanks for your review in Music in the Round, it helped me decide to pull the trigger :),

For movies the HDMI out worked best.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
My experience was the opposite, when I used the DACs in my 7702 it sounded good, but when I switched to the Sony there was more air around cymbals, depth to the bass and vocals seemed more natural. Thanks for your review in Music in the Round, it helped me decide to pull the trigger :),

For movies the HDMI out worked best.
Glad that it works well for you.

bitweasel

Jan 2, 2018

Kal, why did you let Stereophile put the player on their recommended component list? My experience with this player is that the analog outs are worse than I've heard from generic Chinese DACs bought of Amazon for 50 bucks. I was honestly amazed that a DAC could be as bad, as able to introduce errors into the timbre of music, as that found in the UHPH1.

so, ok, it is able to read many disc types and it lives on the network. The firmware has a mandatory sleep setting baked in; even hitting the device every 10 minutes with a wake on lan packet, it manages to go to sleep - which makes it far less useful as a DLNA renderer, since you often have to physically walk over, power it back on and then wait for your DLNA server or controller to pick it up again.

As far as good or bad quality of digital output, you can try all you like but you're not going to persuade me that at a 350 dollar price point, any vendor's digital output is different from any other. This is very much the realm of "a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0" - which is lucky, as if they could have bollixed up the digital, they would have, so that it would sound just like the analog and make it take an extra step to be sure how bad that was.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto

I am sorry that SONY has decided to discontinue this unit. I bought two. It does work very well with SACDs and DVD-As. For bass I hear what Kal is saying but I monkeyed around with interconnects and it seemed improved after a long breakin. I'm going to give one to my P.E. and see what he can do to upgrade the unit.

Witchdoctor, I'm interested in how you use it as a DAC. Do you use Ethernet to stream from the PC to the SONY? (I also have an HDMI output on my PC but I think it is audio bandwidth limited - I am not sure, maybe there is a software work-around.) Do you use a crossover cable or do you go through a switch? What resolution music are you streaming?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal, why did you let Stereophile put the player on their recommended component list? My experience with this player is that the analog outs are worse than I've heard from generic Chinese DACs bought of Amazon for 50 bucks. I was honestly amazed that a DAC could be as bad, as able to introduce errors into the timbre of music, as that found in the UHPH1.
Don't use the DAC.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If you don't mind Kal: https://www.stereophile.com/content...amplifier-sony-uhp-h1-universal-player-page-2

Ok, it's not an Oppo 205 with dual ESS Sabre 32-bit Premium DACs.
And the price is different too.

The Sony 800, which adds 4K native playback but deducts analog stereo and optical digital jacks and front panel display was on sale for peanuts just recently...only $150. It is basically the same exact player and Sony is indeed on the streaming bandwagon now. Let your pre/pro do the digital number crunching and the Sony transport you from all his various audio and video files. It also plays all the disc formats, DVD Audio included!

We live in a new age, and that is exactly what Sony is telling us here.
Me, I applaud them to live with the times.
Don't use any of the three models as a DAC, but as a universal transport, and extended files supported.
This machine does it all and for almost free!
It can play Netflix movies in 4K HDR. ...The 800.

Download the UHP-H1 manual and check the extensive audio and video files and formats supported; it's like a bible for the 2018 age.
? https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=UHPH1#/manualsTab
Click on "Marketing Specifications" (Specs).

? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Sony_UHP-H1_vs_Sony_UBP-X800/BHitems/1253334-REG_1317680-REG

Last edited:

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Although I think Kal's S'phile review answers some of the questions, viz.:

"Well, there's some good news. The UHP-H1 will play all of those formats, in stereo, from files streamed by the SongPal app or by DLNA, using wired Ethernet or WiFi, including DSD (DSD64 only), and up to 24-bit/192kHz for the other formats. Unfortunately, only DSD64 was reliable in multichannel; the FLAC and WAV files were either ignored by SongPal, or rejected by the UHP-H1 when I sent them via JRiver Media Center."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...1-universal-player-page-2#Gzf3g1kDguwv4cDy.99

I put them here anyway:

Questions: (after asking SONY support several times to NO avail): Can one transmit or stream audio files such as DSD via wired LAN internet (crossover cable or through switch) or via the wireless LAN from my PC, or Melco Music Server, to the Ethernet/wireless Ethernet UHP unit, that will then be connected via analog to the audio system?
2. Can one transmit or stream audio files such as DSD via the wireless LAN from my PC to the Ethernet/wireless Ethernet UHP unit, that will then be connected via analog to the audio system?
3. What special software eg JRIVER, or Sony's SongPAl is required to perform 1 or 2 above? How do I do it?
4. Are there any limitations to 1. or 2 above? For example, will it only output analog derived from PCM at 48k or something?
5. Has anyone checked the jitter performance of USB sticks versus computers, music servers, USB hard drives, etc. as a music source? If one must USB instead of Ethernet, there is an attraction to have different artists, genres or performances on the stick rather carrying a hard drive around.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Download the UHP-H1 manual and check the extensive audio and video files and formats supported; it's like a bible for the 2018 age.
? https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=UHPH1#/manualsTab
Click on "Marketing Specifications" (Specs).
I am afraid it is not even useful. When it lists a format, it fails to include indications of (1) which inputs/modes handle that format, (2) what resolutions are supported or (3) whether support is for stereo only or for multichannel as well. Certainly, combinations and permutations of those parameters cannot be appreciated. I found the specs, as offered, to be frustrating.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Although I think Kal's S'phile review answers some of the questions, viz.:....
First, I want to acknowledge your frustration. Second, I wish to note that this review was in the context of my MITR column and is focused on multichannel music playback.

Questions: (after asking SONY support several times to NO avail): Can one transmit or stream audio files such as DSD via wired LAN internet (crossover cable or through switch) or via the wireless LAN from my PC, or Melco Music Server, to the Ethernet/wireless Ethernet UHP unit, that will then be connected via analog to the audio system?
2. Can one transmit or stream audio files such as DSD via the wireless LAN from my PC to the Ethernet/wireless Ethernet UHP unit, that will then be connected via analog to the audio system?
3. What special software eg JRIVER, or Sony's SongPAl is required to perform 1 or 2 above? How do I do it?
4. Are there any limitations to 1. or 2 above? For example, will it only output analog derived from PCM at 48k or something?
5. Has anyone checked the jitter performance of USB sticks versus computers, music servers, USB hard drives, etc. as a music source? If one must USB instead of Ethernet, there is an attraction to have different artists, genres or performances on the stick rather carrying a hard drive around.

Whatever residual memory I have is encapsulated in what I published, so I cannot help you much. The only software apps I used were SongPal and JRiver.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Bso- I have played DSD files by plugging a thumb drive into the USB port in the front of the unit. I also have played files using Plex. To install Plex open the Opera app that comes with the UHPH1. When you open it you will see a message that they have changed the name from Opera to something else. Make sure Plex is running on your main PC. Then do a search for Plex within the app and install it. As long as the PC you have your DSD diles on has Plex installed they should play.

I happen to like the DAC on the UHPH1 better than the DAC on my Marantz 7702 for music. Make sure you go into settings and then Audio. I have the bit rate set for the highest resolution and have DSEE HX (the digital enhancement engine) turned on. Having this turned on makes a major improvement to my ear.

I even compared the analog out of the UHPH1 with my Bluespond Node on the same track. I preferred the UHPH1 as long as DSEE HX was engaged.
I compared a 96/24 track via USB to the same song streaming on Spotify. As long as the DSEE HX was engaged I think it was too close to call and would have a hard time telling the difference. Without DSEE HX I really don't like the SQ of Spotify but with it engaged it sounds nice.

Joemt

Apr 25, 2012
Hello,

I picked up a Sony UBP-X800 which is the lower unit, no analog audio out, and have a question I can't find an answer for.
I create my own DVD-Audio discs from either HD Tracks or from my Vinyl recordings but can't get them to play on this "universal"
player. The disc comes up unknown, getting a message saying, Is the disc in a format playable by this unit? Is the disc clean
with no scratches or fingerprints? These same discs play in a multitude of other universal players I or my other friends own.
[ Lexicon RT-20, Pioneer BDP-85FD, Marantz DV7600, Onkyo DV-SP502 ....]. It will play a store bought DVD-A, as in Foreinger's
debut album from Rhino.

Anyone create their own DVD-A's?

Thanks,

Joe T.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Bso- I have played DSD files by plugging a thumb drive into the USB port in the front of the unit. I also have played files using Plex. To install Plex open the Opera app that comes with the UHPH1. When you open it you will see a message that they have changed the name from Opera to something else. Make sure Plex is running on your main PC. Then do a search for Plex within the app and install it. As long as the PC you have your DSD diles on has Plex installed they should play.

I compared a 96/24 track via USB to the same song streaming on Spotify. As long as the DSEE HX was engaged I think it was too close to call and would have a hard time telling the difference. Without DSEE HX I really don't like the SQ of Spotify but with it engaged it sounds nice.

Hey, thanks for the great info. I need to move a little CRT into the music room and my PC into the music room to set it up and then get it the heck out of there.

Does anyone know what the bit rate and density of Spotify Premium is? I've had it with SiriusXM in my rural area in the car (works 20% of the time maybe and their same playlists over and over again. I will miss "Baroque and Beyond." I need something for background music and at $9 a month that is much cheaper than SXM.

Can I run Spotify into the unit via Wi-fi/wired E'net and have it upgrade the signal, or is there no app for such?

A cheap and cheerful unit.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto

I happen to like the DAC on the UHPH1 better than the DAC on my Marantz 7702 for music. Make sure you go into settings and then Audio. I have the bit rate set for the highest resolution and have DSEE HX (the digital enhancement engine) turned on. Having this turned on makes a major improvement to my ear.

I even compared the analog out of the UHPH1 with my Bluespond Node on the same track. I preferred the UHPH1 as long as DSEE HX was engaged.

dear Witchdoctor,

What "player" does the UHP-H1 need for a USB stick?

I can "ping" the UHP-H1 so I know it is on the same network as the PC server. Thank you I have time today to give PLEX a try. I tried the SONY Songpal app or whatever it is and it said I had to have Bluetooth enabled. I tried that and it recognizes the player but error code when I play music or "throw music" in SONY parlance. "Hey George throw a little Bach over here willya?" I don't use any HDMI connections as I have no A/V processor in this room. Thank you.

Have you tried plugging in a USB disk drive? Will it power it?

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
+2

And SONY Forum Support is "delayed" if not lost. Like Delta or United.

There seems to be this fusion move where a running monitor is required for everything. I don't want a damn screen in my music room. I have a nice big one in my video room. Now, if I could display the streamer on my iPhone or iPad to control the source PC with music files and send them to the DAC via Wi-Fi (I get 150Mb) with a set it or forget it I'd be downloading "DSD" files like crazy.

This reminds me of "way back when" we were building personal computers to run Windows NT because the major brands were loaded with proprietary hand-cuff devices and apps. The networking was a nightmare. Remember IRQs?

Now people are taking Intel NUCs that sell for $400 adding some special clocks, turning some stuff off, adding music software, replacing the top of the box with some aluminum sculpted, and selling them for $6500. Oh but you need another box and then a DAC.

It's like the Marx Bros'. "Day at the Races."

+++++++++++++++++++++

Update: I got the Sony Player App to Work. I changed the wireless network on the PC to be the same as the UHP-H1. They are both at 2.4 GHz. This is critical if you are going to use WiFi. I also loaded the Sony Music Server App on the Player. This also seems critical. I hope, if I do not load a disk in the tray, that the Sony Music Player will "wake up" the Music Server App on the player. Time will tell.

I can go Audio Direct and turn the display off.

I assume that the UHP-P1 is using the HSEE feature to "upscale" the music. The MP3s at 160kps were hopeless - too much sibilance. The CD rip I did of "6 Feet Under" is good.

Now to try some DSD files!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing