Which is better way to connect lampi golden gate?

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I am wondering if anyone has compared the below methods of hooking up yr lampi big 7 or Golden gate:
1. Direct USB either without power usb switched off at source or via non powered usb cable
2. Connect via intona
3. Connect via regen amber
4 connect via intona and regen amber within chain

Appreciate opinions.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I am wondering if anyone has compared the below methods of hooking up yr lampi big 7 or Golden gate:
1. Direct USB either without power usb switched off at source or via non powered usb cable
2. Connect via intona

Appreciate opinions.

I have not heard every USB cable out there, but the Sablon 2017 cable in its unpowered version suitable for the Lampi does a very good job.

The amount of additional detail it delivers without any edgyness is pretty amazing, compared to other top drawer cables

Contact Mark, and tell us what you hear when you have tried it out

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I have not heard every USB cable out there, but the Sablon 2017 cable in its unpowered version suitable for the Lampi does a very good job.

The amount of additional detail it delivers without any edgyness is pretty amazing, compared to other top drawer cables

Contact Mark, and tell us what you hear when you have tried it out

I have to agree with EuroDriver completely. I has been using Totaldac usb + iFi Micro USB 3.0 powered by Hoer wege power supply with good result. When I happened to know about Sablon Audio, I hesitantly tried his powered usb cable (previous version). It has already surpassed what Totaldac is giving me all the time. The sablon powered usb cable give more details, body and transparency to my systems. I invited some close friends to audition both Totaldac and Sablon powered usb. Majority of them prefer Sablon. I am not sure what runs in Mark's head. He offered me to upgrade to his latest unpowered usb but I have to ship those cables back to him. I was calculating, what if it is not as good as before? So I kept delaying while following all the noise in this forum. I read so many that who tried the new unpowered usb are having good to amazing result.

To make the story short, I jumped in the same wagon.

When it returns..I only need a few seconds to realize..it makes A LOT of difference!!! It's so quiet, background it pitch dark. Small details surges up. It was there but not so obvious and clear. I have been longing to hear this kind of vocal, so wet, lusty and seductive.

This is my personal experience, if you have a Lampizator Golden Gate, grab Sablon's unpowered usb cable as a start.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
2. Connect via intona

Appreciate opinions.

I have been using an Albedo unpowered siver USB cable with my GG Lampi - it works very well.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I have to agree with EuroDriver completely. I has been using Totaldac usb + iFi Micro USB 3.0 powered by Hoer wege power supply with good result. When I happened to know about Sablon Audio, I hesitantly tried his powered usb cable (previous version). It has already surpassed what Totaldac is giving me all the time. The sablon powered usb cable give more details, body and transparency to my systems. I invited some close friends to audition both Totaldac and Sablon powered usb. Majority of them prefer Sablon. I am not sure what runs in Mark's head. He offered me to upgrade to his latest unpowered usb but I have to ship those cables back to him. I was calculating, what if it is not as good as before? So I kept delaying while following all the noise in this forum. I read so many that who tried the new unpowered usb are having good to amazing result.

To make the story short, I jumped in the same wagon.

When it returns..I only need a few seconds to realize..it makes A LOT of difference!!! It's so quiet, background it pitch dark. Small details surges up. It was there but not so obvious and clear. I have been longing to hear this kind of vocal, so wet, lusty and seductive.

This is my personal experience, if you have a Lampizator Golden Gate, grab Sablon's unpowered usb cable as a start.

+1, the Sablon unpowered usb cable is simply fantastic sounding.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have dem'd the Albedo side by side and it was beaten fairly easily by the original Sablon. I then updated to a later spec and it the Sablon pulled ahead a lot. The Albedo is relaxed and musical but lacks the speed, resolution, timing and overall vitality of the Sablon.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have dem'd the Albedo side by side and it was beaten fairly easily by the original Sablon. I then updated to a later spec and it the Sablon pulled ahead a lot. The Albedo is relaxed and musical but lacks the speed, resolution, timing and overall vitality of the Sablon.

Thanks for the feedback Bill.

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I experimented and think I like the intona and regen within the chain. There is a higher degree of holographic presentation. Soundstage improved by quite a bit

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have heard both pwrd and unpwrd Sablon Reservas on SGM/Dac8
Pwrd one is simply superb
Unpwrd one is simply spectacular

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
Have heard both pwrd and unpwrd Sablon Reservas on SGM/Dac8
Pwrd one is simply superb
Unpwrd one is simply spectacular

Has anyone compared sablon against curious usb cables?

I am using the curious in my current setup and am curious about the sablon. Appreciate opinions.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
First off, is your Curious unpowered? If not, that alone would make it inferior to any decent data only cable going to an Amanero. Sablon has an updated unpowered cable.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Has anyone compared sablon against curious usb cables?

I am using the curious in my current setup and am curious about the sablon. Appreciate opinions.

I will try to answer your question.

First to kind of address wisnon comment about powered vs data USB cables. Yes that is true but in my experience only to a small degree compared to the best comparable powered USB cables. I have tried a few data only USB cables and some made a slight improvement over a powered USB cable while not so much with the others. In all cases it was so small an improvement I would not pay extra for it vs a comparable powered version. This is only my experience and I have not tried all data only but have tried some of the better ones so YMMV.
Also, the Curious Cable is specifically designed to act as a data only cable while still being a powered cable. So it should be able to compete head to head to data only USB cables and beat or at least hold its own against them.

I have tried many, but not all, of the better regarded USB Cables out there. Some as reasonable as $60 to $150 and others that cost over $1,000. (Though an Audiophile buddy uses one that goes for around $2,000 and he swears by it. I am hoping to bring one of the Sablon Elite for him to try.)

For me at one point I liked the TotalDAC USB. Then I had the chance to try the Curious USB. Talk about how different they sound. It is like one is vanilla and the other is chocolate. One is more analog and tube like but I would not say the other is more SS, just more open and cleaner.

But after having both in my system for a while, I decided that the Curious brought more to the music. That is till I heard Sablons new 2017 Reserve USB Cable, data only.

I had heard all the hype from all the users about how this was the best thing since sliced bread (I never could figure why use sliced bread as the thing to beat, lol) and its "magic". Oh please, wrong and wrong!!

It is so MUCH better then sliced bread and it is definitely not "magic" because this is so very real sounding and no slight of hand involved.

Mark Coles is no wizard but he has done something very real and tangible with this new USB cable design of his. And that is what the music sounds like when using it. Very real and tangible.

The instruments have a lifelike sound to them and an almost reach out and touch them quality.
The noise floor is...well I can not detect any noise. The background is...black.
But no notes are rounded or cut off, high ones or low ones. Highs are extended like they are in real life. Bass is full and deep and in control and not flabby, out of control or lacking depth.
Because of the lack of noise the dynamics are now on a different level then what other USB cables have done that I have experienced.
The transparency and resolving power is so much better but without being artificial or harsh. There is no spotlighting that I can detect.

I must say I can not fathom what Marks new Elite will be like if all the good press is even half right.

AS far as the Sablon vs the Curious lets just say the Sablon is a more lifelike sound and presentation.

The Sablon is a USB Cable that is MORE THERE THERE.

Mark, bring on the Elite!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing