Columbia SAX 2386 - $10,000

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone understand why this LP fetches ten thousand dollars or more, and the limited re-issues around $1500???

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyone understand why this LP fetches ten thousand dollars or more, and the limited re-issues around $1500???

Rarity and performance. Although I can think of a number of albums that I would rather have and for a lot less money. But if you are a collector, that's one to place in your collection...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Most Kogan records on British EMI Columbia or ASD fetch $1,000's in NM condition. I have a sneaky suspicion why prices are so high is the success and money in the Asian hi end audio market. They want the best music too which is finite driving up prices in the U.K. for Golden age classical UK made records.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Kogan EMI Columbia SAX's have been going through the roof. The ERC reissue is around $600US. However, Testament has reissued most of the Kogan SAX's, doing a very nice job for the regular $25-35 or so price. I just checked on the Testament website and they have the Beethoven, Brahms and Tchaikovsky all available at $25.03 (however they are in the UK). Elusive Disc looks like it has the Beethoven and Tchaikovsky for $35 minus 15% sale right now. I met a collector about a decade ago at Amoeba Records in San Francisco. We started talking and he was looking for the Kogan Brahms Violin Concerto in an original SAX. IIRC, he said they were going for $800 or so, and he was willing to pay the price. Recently they have been in the $5K range, but I hadn't seen any at $10K. I only have one, the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, which I got 15 or 20 years ago for maybe $25 or $30. Now it is $5000. Absolutely crazy. That is what supply and demand does, and there isn't even a short squeeze going on! Larry

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Larry

Urban legend has it that this recording was made inside the iron curtain by the Columbia team as Kogan was rarely if ever allowed out. Would you know if this is at least partially true?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
the ERC is superb but at only 300 copies sold out & they have spent a fortune on these

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Larry

Urban legend has it that this recording was made inside the iron curtain by the Columbia team as Kogan was rarely if ever allowed out. Would you know if this is at least partially true?

That I had not heard before. I know that Kogan has several recordings with western orchestras besides the Beethoven. I would think it would have been a big deal in the '50's to have a complete orchestra go into the Soviet Union to do a recording there. I have an RCA recording of him with the Boston Symphony, and most of his EMI Columbia recordings are with the Philharmonia Orchestra of London or the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra.

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/20/obituaries/leonid-logan-a-leading-soviet-violinist-58.html

Here is his obit from the NYT. It says he played abroad frequently, including tours of the US.

BTW, the Mercury team went to the USSR to do a series of recordings around 1960. I remember that was a big deal. I think all the recordings were with Soviet orchestras, but American soloists were featured.

Larry

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
the ERC is superb but at only 300 copies sold out & they have spent a fortune on these

Thanks for posting this. I was lucky enough to meet Pete Hutchinson, the main person behind the ERC about six years ago when the project was first starting. Dave Parsons, his partner at ERC, is a London record dealer, whom I have known for quite a few years, took me over to Pete's studio, where I saw the various pieces of old equipment which were yet to be restored and reassembled. Here are a few shots I took on the visit. Pete has red hair.

DSC00383-500.jpg DSC00382-500.jpg DSC00386-500.jpg DSC00381-500.jpg DSC00385-500.jpg

It was a huge restoration project. I usually visit Dave annually and he kept me up with the project, including hearing test pressings as they were made available. The first major issue was the three Johanna Martzy albums of the Bach Violin Sonatas and Partitas, an original mono recording. Dave has been the person responsible for choosing which albums to do, since his record business specializes in the rarest and priciest classical recordings, of which the three Martzy's are among the top. They also chose the Kogan Beethoven and some other super rare albums. Many complex issues arose beyond the actual restoration, including unsatisfactory pressings, issues with the letter press printing of the album jackets and the sale of EMI Classical to Warners. Fortunately, Warners has been very cooperative with their project. I was able to hear the Beethoven Violin Concerto album in a test pressing at Dave's place three years ago, IIRC, and then an actual pressing that I borrowed from a friend last year.

Larry

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have the Beethoven Violin Concerto and enjoy it.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing