Jon's Reference System

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
After many trials and tribulations and lost dollars I have finally assembled a system that
transports me in the concert hall or recording studio and stirs up emotion to makes me say –
Wow! My only limitation with having a hi-end system in a swank modern DC Condominium
is not having a dedicated listening room to fully enjoy and maximize the capability of the
system or to do the tweaks necessary to get the best out of the system while achieving the
WAF. Nevertheless I have overcomed these challenges – yes even the WAF and have a
system that is integrated into the houses decorum and allows me to hear into the music and
gives me joy. Here is my system along with a few pictures.

Speakers: Alta Audio Hestia Titanium Speakers (Just Released - WOW - Replaced Martin Logan Renaissance 15A)
Amplification: Audio Research Ref. 6 Preamp, Ref. 3 Phono Preamp; Ref. 250SE Mono Amplifiers
Analog: VPI HR-X Turntable w/JMW 3D Reference Tonearm and Transfiguration Proteus Cartridge
Digital: dCS Rossini Player w/Clock, Antipodes DX Server and Sonos Connect Box with W4S Mods
Cables: AQ WEL Signature XLRs; AQ Oak Speaker; Digital: WireWorld Platinum/Nordost ; Power Cords:
Shunyata, AQ and Cardas
Power Conditioning: Shunyata Denali Series 6000T (Components) and 2000T (Power Amplifiers)
Record Cleaning: Audio Desk Vinyl Record Cleaning System
Audio Equipment Stand: Steve Blinn Design Double Wide Component Stand

IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.JPG

Reactions: NickMimi and tank64

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Very nice indeed Jon, almost menacing.
If I may offer one piece of advise, track down an NOS tested General Electric 6550A to replace the factory Sovtek in your Ref6,
Try a search of the forum for further comment on this.

Reactions: WeatherB

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Thanks Harlequin - will do

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Very nice indeed Jon, almost menacing.
If I may offer one piece of advise, track down an NOS tested General Electric 6550A to replace the factory Sovtek in your Ref6,
Try a search of the forum for further comment on this.

Counter to that I think NOS GE 6550 weren't very good in an Air Tight ATM2. I really didn't like them at all. Why? Imaging was all over the place.

NOS or not NOS, I think the EAT KT88 is the best sounding tube of that sort of type on the planet. Better than KT120 and KT150. Once Tesla Vrsovice but unreliable in that guise. Crying shame the sonics were fabulous. The EAT version may still have that problem or not I don't know. But if you want the best sonics and can afford some spares... they'll put such a smile on your face you won't believe it. Streets ahead.

I've only known a few aware of just how good that Tesla tube was. EAT reviews indicate it is in the same league and it looks identical pretty much.

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
I do, I play mostly classical, jazz and whatever I hear that is pleasing to my ear. thanks for asking.

Jon

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Counter to that I think NOS GE 6550 weren't very good in an Air Tight ATM2. I really didn't like them at all. Why? Imaging was all over the place.

NOS or not NOS, I think the EAT KT88 is the best sounding tube of that sort of type on the planet. Better than KT120 and KT150. Once Tesla Vrsovice but unreliable in that guise. Crying shame the sonics were fabulous.

Errrrrr! The 6550 in the Ref6 Pre amplifier performs power regulation in that particular circuit, and is Not employed within the output stage, I have also rolled a number of KT 88's vintage and new production tho not an EAT, IMHO the GE 6550A is the most balanced regulator valve that I have yet found as an alternative to the stock AR Ref Sovtek.

Last edited:

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Errrrrr! The 6550 in the Ref6 Pre amplifier performs power rectification in that particular circuit, and is Not employed within the output stage, I have also rolled a number of KT 88's vintage and new production tho not an EAT, IMHO the GE 6550A is the most balanced regulator valve that I have yet found as an alternative to the stock AR Ref Sovtek.

Thanks I have some tweaking to do. Have you ever tried Sophia Electric's Tubes? They have great sounding tubes.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just beautiful! Never heard of your speakers, tell us more about the ML 15A (a very current speaker) and how these Alta Audio improve on it: "Speakers: Alta Audio Hestia Titanium Speakers (Just Released - WOW - Replaced Martin Logan Renaissance 15A)". And who's behind Alta; very interesting drivers in their Statement.

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Just beautiful! Never heard of your speakers, tell us more about the ML 15A (a very current speaker) and how these Alta Audio improve on it: "Speakers: Alta Audio Hestia Titanium Speakers (Just Released - WOW - Replaced Martin Logan Renaissance 15A)". And who's behind Alta; very interesting drivers in their Statement.

The Alta Audio “Hestia Titanium” is the latest creation from Alta Audio’s founder and designer Mike Levy who has over 30 years of experience designing and building audiophile loudspeakers that have received critical acclaim within the industry. Two of his current designs “The Rhea and Celesta FRM-2” have been widely praised in The Absolute Sound, Tone Magazine, Audiophilia to name a few.

The prototype of his Hestia Titanium’s were debuted and well received at the last New York Audio Show in November 2016. http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2016/11/4/the-new-york-audio-show-2016. The speaker went into production in December and just released in late January

I auditioned the Alta Audio Hestia Titanium speakers, the same prototypes demoed at the NY Audio show, in my home before the speakers were released to the public. Alta Audio’s President and CEO Mike Levy personally drove six hours from New York to my home in DC, with his prototypes, set them up and we spent two hours listening to music I was familiar with. The two hour audition left me speechless. The speakers disappeared in my room like no other speaker I have heard. They were more transparent, dynamic and better balanced then the Martin Logan’s Renaissance ESL 15A’s providing more detail, better bass and created an unbelievable soundstage that was deep and wide extending outside of the speakers position. All I heard was live-like music in my home. Needless to say I had to have them and just receive the first units from Alta’s initial production release two weeks ago.

The speaker is a D’Appolito and dipole design with 5 drivers in a well braced deaden cabinet with cryogenic treated high quality crossover components. The specifications are as follows:

Specifications:
Height: 53 3/4 inches
Width: 15 inches at the bottom narrowing to 8 1/2 inches on top
Depth: 18 inches at bottom
Weight: 135 lbs
Driver complement (Morel Woofer and Midrange Drivers and RAAL Ribbon Tweeter):
1 Titanium former 10 inch Woofer in Alta XTL bass tuning
2 Titanium former 7 inch lower midranges
1 Hex cone titanium former 6 inch upper midrange
1 Amorphous core high output ribbon tweeter
Sensitivity: 90 dB / 2.83 Volts @ 1Meter
Frequency response: 28Hz to 47kHz
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Requirements: Minimum 50 to 400 Watts, Can be Bi-wired, or Bi-amped
Configuration: Open backed Di-pole

IMG_0351.JPG

Last edited:

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC

Here is the link to the latest review of the speaker, which provides a more detailed description of the speakers design.

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2017/2/9/alta-audio-titanium-hestia-loudspeaker

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks. Never heard of Mike Levy in the last 30 years... What else has he designed before Alta?

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
8A9EBAB2-7A3C-4AE8-8DF4-0B8FB16C5BDE.jpeg C49BFB85-00D5-40F3-8D36-A9E1354C3A9E.jpeg D6413CD3-BA01-4660-8014-203D99D15E83.jpeg After a year and 6 months of my original post I have upgraded most of my system again. Here is my latest system along with a few pictures.

Speakers: Tidal Agorias Silver Edition
Amplification: Audio Research Ref. 10 Preamp, Ref. 10 Phono Preamp; Ref. 250SE Mono Amplifiers
Analog: TriangleART Maestro Turntable w/Osiris MkII Tonearm and Apollo Cartridge
Digital: dCS Vivaldi Stack (DAC, Clock and Upsampler) and Paganini SACD Transport; Antipodes DX3 Server and Sonos Connect Box with W4S Mods
Cables and Power Cords: Nordost Odin
Power Conditioning: Shunyata Denali Series 2000T (2) (Power Amplifiers)/PS Audio P20
Record Cleaning: Audio Desk Vinyl Record Cleaning System
Audio Equipment

Last edited:
Reactions: GMKF and dcc

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Jon, that's a tight squeeze to get to the tt LOL.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations, I would love to hear Tidal one day, they certainly look fantastic.

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Congratulations, I would love to hear Tidal one day, they certainly look fantastic.
Sure, I occasionally having listening session and if you live in the area I will invite you accordingly

Reactions: Jon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing