Elipsa SE. Room size

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Having heard Stradivari I'm considering the SF brand. My room is small so I need smaller speaker. What size room is recommended for Elipsa SE ? And does the Elipsa SE sound similar to Stradivari?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats and a great speaker. I used to own the Strads and enjoyed listening to the Elipsa's as well. My overview is that both speakers are fantastic. My recollection is that the Strad had a complexity/sophistication of sound of its own (some would say not transparent, others would say who cares...gorgeous). The Elipsa had less of that incredible richness of tonality but equally had a very tonally clean delivery which, when setup well, was a great transducer of music. It also reacted well to high powered solid state, perhaps better than the Strad. By contrast, i preferred the Strad's reaction to mid-powered, high current valve amplification and to the high powered Class A SS I used.

As for room size, i have found remarkably well setup speakers that initially might seem 'too big' can actually fit well into smaller rooms, and some amazingly 'small' speakers (B&W Silver Signatures) can sound incredibly 'big' even in big rooms. How big is your room?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Having heard Stradivari I'm considering the SF brand. My room is small so I need smaller speaker. What size room is recommended for Elipsa SE ? And does the Elipsa SE sound similar to Stradivari?

No, IMHO unfortunately is does not. It is a different type of sound. If you enjoyed the Stradivari consider the Futura Amatti - now Sonus Faber is presenting the new Amatti's you should be able to get a great price on the old speaker.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey alfa,

Didn't you have Wilson Audio?
What prompted you to look for a different speaker/brand?

cheers,
alex

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Hi asiufy,
you are right. i have the Sasha and heard the Strads in a very good acoustic space. The Strad sounded incredible especially with strings and voices. now you would say i should try my Sasha in a good acoustic space to compare and i would agree. But i think that the Strads and hence the SF sound probably beat the Wilson sound.
This is going to open a can of worms but please understand i have not done a fair comparison.

my room is "smallish" and terribly asymmetrical. Probably my Sasha would sound incrediblybetter in an appropriate room.
dimensions are roughly 3.5 meter by 6 meter. Room divided in at about 4 meter by a partition 1.2 m high and 1,t5 m long. This partition is to the right of right Sasha. Wall with window to the left of left Sasha.
i hope LL21 can picture my room.

so, in addition to room size i can expect responses comparing Sasha to Elipsa and SF vs wilson.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi asiufy,
you are right. i have the Sasha and heard the Strads in a very good acoustic space. The Strad sounded incredible especially with strings and voices. now you would say i should try my Sasha in a good acoustic space to compare and i would agree. But i think that the Strads and hence the SF sound probably beat the Wilson sound.
This is going to open a can of worms but please understand i have not done a fair comparison.

my room is "smallish" and terribly asymmetrical. Probably my Sasha would sound incrediblybetter in an appropriate room.
dimensions are roughly 3.5 meter by 6 meter. Room divided in at about 4 meter by a partition 1.2 m high and 1,t5 m long. This partition is to the right of right Sasha. Wall with window to the left of left Sasha.
i hope LL21 can picture my room.

so, in addition to room size i can expect responses comparing Sasha to Elipsa and SF vs wilson.

The question is...can you have the speakers in the other corners so that they are 3.5 meters apart and facing down the 6m length of the room? You can sit near your partition (just in front or to the side) and listen but it allows your speakers to fire down the long dimension of the room.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
The question is...can you have the speakers in the other corners so that they are 3.5 meters apart and facing down the 6m length of the room? You can sit near your partition (just in front or to the side) and listen but it allows your speakers to fire down the long dimension of the room.
LL21
i cannot turn my position by 90 degrees as the short partition will not permit appropriate seat position. i have considered removing the partition but it is has a structural pillar supporting the roof. i am considering complete renovation of the room and all my problems will be solved..........for a while

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21 i cannot turn my position by 90 degrees because of the short partition.

My Strads were firing down the short side of the room in the old room...about 3.7m from tweeter to listening position i think, with a total depth from wall behind speaker to behind listening position of around 4.75m or so. And the speakers were about the same distance apart. The room however was about 10m wide with a very short ceiling.

They had good breathing room. I would have thought you could try Strads which i remember one reviewer commenting was more sensitive to the amount of space to the SIDE of each speaker than needing to have significant depth BEHIND them.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
No, IMHO unfortunately is does not. It is a different type of sound. If you enjoyed the Stradivari consider the Futura Amatti - now Sonus Faber is presenting the new Amatti's you should be able to get a great price on the old speaker.

Sumiko says the Sonus Faber new Tradition range is better than the older range being faster and more more accurate . i could not find review of the Serafino or Amati in the Tradition range.Have you heard these?

maybe the moderator will move this to a new thread

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sumiko says the Sonus Faber new Tradition range is better than the older range being faster and more more accurate . i could not find review of the Serafino or Amati in the Tradition range.Have you heard these?

maybe the moderator will move this to a new thread

Sumiko could well be correct...or they could be promoting the new stock for sale. I cannot say which. I COULD believe that the newer SF range have been voiced to be faster, more agile as the more recent generation of SF Homage and other series had already been trending in that direction.

That said, its all about personal preference, and if you liked Strads...the good thing is you can find Strads, Amatis and several other fantastic SFs at deep discounts to retail. I have seen the new SF replacement of the Amati...or the new model which just came out and looks like the old Amati...but not heard yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing