VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Pretty good article, if I do say so myself. I like his closing thoughts.

Tom

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A good, temperate call for calm from both sides
Tricky for me
The objectivist who I liked personally but wound me up big time was the infamous Purite Audio/Keith
He spent long periods trying to convince me that power cords cannot make any difference, that Class D SS better than Class A tubes, and that tweaks like Mooks, Entreq were sheer black magic/kitty litter/ways to part me naively of my hard earned
Specs were all, and also more a deeply held bias based on how he thought the universe worked
We agreed to disagree for the umpteenth time when on replacing sublime Bakoon Class AB on his Cessaro Liszts w bland Mola Mola Class D, he went red in the face saying the specs said Mola superior, and I said my ears told me v different

Yuri Korzunov

Jul 30, 2015
Most (may be all?) parameters of audio is not univocal from number point of view.

These parameters have appoximate threshold area what may be considered as border between "good" and "worse".

The parameters may have several gradations.

Engeneer should use numbers in work. Other way he/she may lost direction of improvement.

When work every day with audio and people who give feedback about quality, you begin understand correlation between subjective quality and numbers.

Of course, it is not exact math. But engeneer should know: when sound improved by distortions and when sound improved by more exact transmitting/processing.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think I would make a change in his "Audio" name

Don't worry, they have excellent sales and are a hit with younger audiences who apparently like that kind of humor.

Yuri Korzunov

Jul 30, 2015
Subjectivist: "I think my new Arglebargle X1000 sounds way better than the Craphound PST-1."
Objectivist: "No, if they both measure 20-20K flat, have THD below 0.1%, and have a low output impedance, they have to sound the same."
Subjectivist: "I think my experience trumps your measurements."
Objectivist: "No, humans can’t perceive anything beyond that, see (insert links to tests here.)"
http://www.audiostream.com/content/...-synthesis-jason-stoddard#xl6mkIxIyJlSeBKE.99

"flat" is not feature.

THD should be measured in full frequency range.
Also THD for hardware depend on level.
So this parameter depend on 2 variables. Impossibly something know exactly by 1 number of THD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing