Too Many Tubes???

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
With current systems, I am using 31 tubes in total. I am going to test a new Atma-sphere MA-1 by tomorrow evening. In that case, I will be using 67 tubes in total. :( I have no idea how it will sound because right now, I am still conducting tube preconditioning.

Lampizator Golden Gate 5 tubes
Aesthetix Eclipse Preamp 24 tubes
Aesthetix Atlas Mono Sig 2 tubes
Atma-sphere MA-1 38 tubes

Anyone auditioned so many tubes in one system alone? Please share your experience. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Talk to Audiophile Bill, he's just bought the 3 box Io, and is tube rolling atm
A fine line btwn genius and madness, both you guys are treading

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With current systems, I am using 31 tubes in total. I am going to test a new Atma-sphere MA-1 by tomorrow evening. In that case, I will be using 67 tubes in total. :( I have no idea how it will sound because right now, I am still conducting tube preconditioning.

Anyone auditioned so many tubes in one system alone? Please share your experience. :)

TheKong, with his Apogee full ranges, had the IO Eclipse box, Conrad Johnson, biamped, adding to just over a 100 tubes. He now has the Pass 600. Another guy had an IO Eclipse + Aesthetix preamp + Aesthetix power amp, around 78 or so, which, when a channel fails, brings it down to a manageable 34 to investigate.

IMO you could try another preamp - with a remote - and reduce number of tubes too.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many tubes.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Phono preamp signal box: 56 triodesx2; E810Fx2
Phono preamp power box: 374a Rectifiersx4
Line stage signal box: 71a triodesx2
Line stage signal box: 374a Rectifiersx2
2 Mono Amps: 1 OD3; 1 6SN7; KT77x2

Total:24 Tubes!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
With current systems, I am using 31 tubes in total. I am going to test a new Atma-sphere MA-1 by tomorrow evening. (...)

Congratulations - are these the late mk3.3? I never listened to them, but the mk3.1 versions sounded great.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

at one time I had an ARC Ref 600Mk lll (31 tubes per side) amps and an ARC ref 3 preamp which had 8 tubes so 70 in all

Very very good sound but commensurate with the amount of heat produced. So much so that I put a 3rd HVAC in my house with this one dedicated to only the sound room to keep the temperature down

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
at one time I had an ARC Ref 600Mk lll (31 tubes per side) amps and an ARC ref 3 preamp which had 8 tubes so 70 in all

Very very good sound but commensurate with the amount of heat produced. So much so that I put a 3rd HVAC in my house with this one dedicated to only the sound room to keep the temperature down

Yes, heat is another issue especially for us who live in tropical country. :(

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Congratulations - are these the late mk3.3? I never listened to them, but the mk3.1 versions sounded great.

This is an older version mk ii.3 and I have called Ralph Karsten to ask about update plan to mk 3.3. He suggested me to use a specific freight forwarder to handle the shipping of these pair. I am trying to get a quote now. Honestly, I prefer the look of this version than the mk3 ones. Mine is rectangular with 5 6sn7's. According to Ralph, the update would include taking out the class AB feature so I can only set class A amping.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Phono preamp signal box: 56 triodesx2; E810Fx2
Phono preamp power box: 374a Rectifiersx4
Line stage signal box: 71a triodesx2
Line stage signal box: 374a Rectifiersx2
2 Mono Amps: 1 OD3; 1 6SN7; KT77x2

Total:24 Tubes!

How do you find the sound? Not too tubey nor fat right? My other audio friend said, it would be too fat with so many tubes installed. :(

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
TheKong, with his Apogee full ranges, had the IO Eclipse box, Conrad Johnson, biamped, adding to just over a 100 tubes. He now has the Pass 600. Another guy had an IO Eclipse + Aesthetix preamp + Aesthetix power amp, around 78 or so, which, when a channel fails, brings it down to a manageable 34 to investigate.

IMO you could try another preamp - with a remote - and reduce number of tubes too.

+1. It takes a lot of time to figure out what the problem is.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
How do you find the sound? Not too tubey nor fat right? My other audio friend said, it would be too fat with so many tubes installed. :(

I'm happy but 'biased' (sorry for the bad tube pun)...Actually tubes done well are not 'tubey' or 'fat'...they are fast and lithe.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Great I must say I virtually always have had a tube pre in the system , I could live without the tube power amp I like ss power amps too

QUOTE=ferrox;434650]How do you find the sound of tube preamp + tube amp so far? Aesthetix preamp + amp sound pretty nice, too. I am just trying different amp.[/QUOTE]

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing