Greetings

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Greetings from the Nation’s Capital:

Glad to join this community of Audiophiles and Music Lovers to share, receive insight and knowledge, and join in on interesting conversations of two of my passions, Hi-End Audio and Music. Let me first state it all started with falling in love with music when I was 10 years old, listening to America’s Top 40 with Casey Kassem, hearing the likes of Led Zepplin’s “Stairway to Heaven”, Moody Blues’ “Nights in White Satin”, Harry Chapin’s “Taxi”, and Elton John’s “Bennie and the Jets” to name a few. In addition, my parents expanded my horizons with piano lessons which gave me the foundation of understanding and appreciating the theory behind the music and allowing me to express my self musically.

My first system, which was purchased at age 17, consisted of a Kenwood KCR-8300 Receiver, a Technics Turntable w/Shure Cartridge and Speakers (can’t remember the brand). I listened to this system for hours on end and was always amazed of the sound and what was in the record grooves. The research I did to buy this system was my entry into Audio as I read magazines like Audio and High Fidelity to find out about the components I wanted to hear and buy. After finishing College, landing my first job and reading my first copy of Stereophile I sold my Kenwood Receiver and bought a B&K ST-140 Amplifier and Spica TC-50 Speakers based on Stereophile’s Sam Tellig’s recommendations. However it wasn’t until I had my B&K Amplifier modified by Sound Unlimited in Bristol, Connecticut (recommended by Sam Tellig) that I truly understood what his phrase “Palpable Presence” meant and what the industry was capable if components are well engineered and use the best parts. The 2-dimensional sound from that system was so revealing it started my Audiophile journey with the buying and selling of audio equipment trying to find or hear Audio Nirvana. Unfortunately in 1993, through life’s trials and tribulations I moved from South Carolina to the DC Metro area and left my love for Audio and music behind to focus on a new career and raising afamily.

Twenty years later, I went into my local Best Buy Magnolia Store to buy a new TV and walked into one of their listening rooms and heard Martin Logan Speakers driven by McIntosh gear. The sound captivated me so much, I had to have that sound in my home and my love for Hi-End Audio and Music was reborn. In 4 years I have gone from Martin Logan’s Electro Motion ESLs, Montis to their New Masterpiece Series Renaissance 15A speakers. I took a similar path on electronics going from a Denon Receiver to integrated amplifiers and then separate components from McIntosh, PrimaLuna and Audio Research. However the biggest transformation for me within Hi-End Audio after my twenty year absence is the advancement of Digital Audio – Wow. The availability of hi-res music at my fingertips – priceless.

As an audiophile I have gone through a lot of excitement, frustration and now reward trying to recreate the live or studio recorded experience in my home. Have I reached Audio Nirvana………I don’t know….. but 25-30 years ago I could never imagined having Diana Krall performing for me in myliving room like I do today.

Well it’s truly great to be back into the community and be part of this forum to share our love, frustration and kinship being an audiophile. Thanks for having me and Good Listening

Jon Aiken

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome back to the audiophile community, and welcome to WBF, Jon!

I have loved Martin-Logan speakers for 17 years!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Glad to join this community of Audiophiles and Music Lovers to share, receive insight and knowledge, and join in on interesting conversations of two of my passions, Hi-End Audio and Music. Let me first state it all started with falling in love with music when I was 10 years old, listening to America’s Top 40 with Casey Kassem, hearing the likes of Led Zepplin’s “Stairway to Heaven”, Moody Blues’ “Nights in White Satin”, Harry Chapin’s “Taxi”, and Elton John’s “Bennie and the Jets” to name a few. In addition, my parents expanded my horizons with piano lessons which gave me the foundation of understanding and appreciating the theory behind the music and allowing me to express my self musically.

My first system, which was purchased at age 17, consisted of a Kenwood KCR-8300 Receiver, a Technics Turntable w/Shure Cartridge and Speakers (can’t remember the brand). I listened to this system for hours on end and was always amazed of the sound and what was in the record grooves. The research I did to buy this system was my entry into Audio as I read magazines like Audio and High Fidelity to find out about the components I wanted to hear and buy. After finishing College, landing my first job and reading my first copy of Stereophile I sold my Kenwood Receiver and bought a B&K ST-140 Amplifier and Spica TC-50 Speakers based on Stereophile’s Sam Tellig’s recommendations. However it wasn’t until I had my B&K Amplifier modified by Sound Unlimited in Bristol, Connecticut (recommended by Sam Tellig) that I truly understood what his phrase “Palpable Presence” meant and what the industry was capable if components are well engineered and use the best parts. The 2-dimensional sound from that system was so revealing it started my Audiophile journey with the buying and selling of audio equipment trying to find or hear Audio Nirvana. Unfortunately in 1993, through life’s trials and tribulations I moved from South Carolina to the DC Metro area and left my love for Audio and music behind to focus on a new career and raising afamily.

Twenty years later, I went into my local Best Buy Magnolia Store to buy a new TV and walked into one of their listening rooms and heard Martin Logan Speakers driven by McIntosh gear. The sound captivated me so much, I had to have that sound in my home and my love for Hi-End Audio and Music was reborn. In 4 years I have gone from Martin Logan’s Electro Motion ESLs, Montis to their New Masterpiece Series Renaissance 15A speakers. I took a similar path on electronics going from a Denon Receiver to integrated amplifiers and then separate components from McIntosh, PrimaLuna and Audio Research. However the biggest transformation for me within Hi-End Audio after my twenty year absence is the advancement of Digital Audio – Wow. The availability of hi-res music at my fingertips – priceless.

As an audiophile I have gone through a lot of excitement, frustration and now reward trying to recreate the live or studio recorded experience in my home. Have I reached Audio Nirvana………I don’t know….. but 25-30 years ago I could never imagined having Diana Krall performing for me in myliving room like I do today.

Well it’s truly great to be back into the community and be part of this forum to share our love, frustration and kinship being an audiophile. Thanks for having me and Good Listening

Jon Aiken

Welcome Jon! Great notes on the journey!

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
"….. but 25-30 years ago I could never imagined having Diana Krall performing for me in myliving room like I do today."

And Declan MacManus doesn't mind :)?

Welcome!

Mike

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Thanks, He married a star, he has to share ..... but he can join us as long as he doesn't sing..lol

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have very positive memories of the Spica TC-50s. I used a Precision Fidelity M7 amplifier to drive my Spica TC-50.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Jon. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to our forum. I used to live in your neck of the woods. Springfield and N. Springfield to be exact. Your journey was a nice read.

Tom

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Welcome Jon. I retired to the Austin area after working for 25 years in DC. I lived in Springfield and Alexandria while there. I also enjoyed Martin Logans for many years - just great speakers. I've since moved to Wilsons, which are also great!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Jon Aiken
Welcome home Jon, that was a great read.

~Bob

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Thanks and good to be with fellow audiophiles

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
I have very positive memories of the Spica TC-50s. I used a Precision Fidelity M7 amplifier to drive my Spica TC-50.
So did I. They were the first speaker that presented a clear image of the soundstage and gave me a taste of what is possible with Hi-End Audio.

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Welcome Jon. I retired to the Austin area after working for 25 years in DC. I lived in Springfield and Alexandria while there. I also enjoyed Martin Logans for many years - just great speakers. I've since moved to Wilsons, which are also great!
Congrats on retirement - I am four years away. Austin is a great town, my daughter went to UT and i spent many enjoyable days visiting her at UT. Yes Martin Logan's are great but I have heard a few speakers recently they can provide the same level of transparency with the added dynamics that electrostatics fall short of - Although the ML Renaissance are very good with dynamics. I came close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Wilson Alexis, which are very transparent and disappear in the room like very few speakers, however a slight mid bass emphasis kept me from purchasing them. Setup is critical with Wilson's and my listening area can be difficult to work with on speaker placement. Which Wilson's do you have?

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Hello Jon. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to our forum. I used to live in your neck of the woods. Springfield and N. Springfield to be exact. Your journey was a nice read.

Tom
Thanks Tom, we miss you here in the Metro area or at least Fairfax County misses your Tax dollars. Thanks again

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I will say this, I don't miss the traffic! Holy smokes Batman...

The wife and I's pad now backs up to a large field that every now and again has cows roaming. A MUCH slower pace of life that after the DC area, I can really appreciate. Plus, outside noise whilst listening is non-existent.

slowGEEZR, I wouldn't be surprised if we have bumped paths before.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing