Martin Logans or Wilson 5.1 with Jeff Rowland or Modwright?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
All speakers have this issue to one degree or another.
Fair enough.

I built some loudspeaker prototypes about five years ago which do not suffer from this. They have a spherical sound-wave, not stereo everywhere just sound everywhere, and pretty good sound if I do say so myself. I really should get back to tinkering with those again.

This thread is odd for me to take measure of. Wilson's are the epitome of box speakers (the hard shell crab), Martin Logan is the epitome of panel speakers (the jelly fish).

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi folks, I need some input to help me decide which system to move towards (second hand, unable to demo in my own room).

I like the openness of Martin Logans (Summit probably, because they're within budget) and I love the attack and immediacy of my old Wilson Sophias. I have the MLs or Wilson 5.1 available second hand local to me.

As for amps, I have the Jeff Rowland Concentra, Continuum 500 S1 or Modwright LS36.5/KWA150 (not S.E) available for sale locally.

Considering my music taste with is a lot of electronica with vocals and some softer guitar/vocals if my mood desires it, which system combination would you choose? A subwoofer could also be bought for the ML's if need be. I like airy clean vocals and resolution despite my love for well-recorded electronic music, and I love 3D imaging and attack. I won't be playing any soft jazz etc. during my lifetime.

My room is fairly large with a lot of windows and tiled floor with rugs, but it's not overly bright.

If you like electronica with impact, you need the biggest, most powerful SS amp you can find, preferably with a SS preamp. For vocals, go with all tubes.

In my experience, to get the best of both electronica and vocals, you really need 2 systems. Now I know that's probably not an option, but you can compromise with big SS amp and a tubed preamp.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you like electronica with impact, you need the biggest, most powerful SS amp you can find, preferably with a SS preamp. For vocals, go with all tubes.

In my experience, to get the best of both electronica and vocals, you really need 2 systems. Now I know that's probably not an option, but you can compromise with big SS amp and a tubed preamp.

You need one system with apogees restored by Henk in Holland with class A SS - or massive big horns with tubes. You will get the best vocals, bass, speed and slam. And you need a big room

But let's stick to his budget - he is looking at 3k used speakers, and to do both, I would go Wilson - there are going to be compromises with both.

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks everyone for your input (and thanks Cyclopse, yes I remember when you visited with your Modwright...then I bought one!).

I have more or less rule out the Martin Logans because of a) the electronica which I mostly listen to and b) the likely sound deflections from windows either side in my listening room. The back wall will be covered with fabric acoustic panels next month.

After listening to Sashas (1 not 2) I'm very interested, price comes in at 10,000 GBP which is a hell of a lot of money, but I might give it a bit longer until I can afford them. I'm kind of erring towards Jeff Rowland amps (either Continuum 500 which is class D) or a cheaper Capri/102S combo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 2 is much better than the 1. But now you are above your budget already and there are many contenders

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Bonzo, same old story....think of a budget then exceed it :)

Yes I hear everywhere how much better the Sasha 2 is, but sadly that's going a few steps too far in terms of cost. And none available here second-hand anyway. The Wilson Sasha 1 is right at the very very top of my beginning-to-break-my-own-balls budget. I am open to suggestions to other options with similar dynamic presentations between the 4K and 8K mark.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I just don't like 1. If you want electronica you will be better off buying Watt puppies and crossing them over to two subs, or any other cone you prefer that is cheaper and crossing it over to two subs. Or like Justin (User211) who is an electronica and rock buff loves, a restored apogee duetta. You can get them for 7k euro from Amsterdam and they will for fine with your Jeff rowlands. You will get stage of the Logans plus more and better integrated bass, more dynamic, and can cross over to subs.

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Bonzo, thanks for the comments and the 5.1s with subs is not something I'd considered before. I'll definitely look into that. Justin came to my house in Somerset once with a chap from the Midlands who restores Apogees. I had a home demo of a restored Duetta against my Usher 8571 with Krell amps. Mid Range on the Apogees was great, but their resolution at the top wasn't good enough. I couldn't have lived with them. The Wilson Sophias bettered the Ushers in most ways, so I chose them instead.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo, thanks for the comments and the 5.1s with subs is not something I'd considered before. I'll definitely look into that. Justin came to my house in Somerset once with a chap from the Midlands who restores Apogees. I had a home demo of a restored Duetta against my Usher 8571 with Krell amps. Mid Range on the Apogees was great, but their resolution at the top wasn't good enough. I couldn't have lived with them. The Wilson Sophias bettered the Ushers in most ways, so I chose them instead.

Those old restores were different. A guy moved from Sasha to restores here. It is restore dependent. Also, from what I understand, your room in Somerset was very small?

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
Hi all, just an update on my decisions so far.

To answer Bonzo, yes my room in Somerset was really small...my room here in Bangkok is a lot bigger, very open plan. But there's no way I'll find a pair of restored Apogees to try over here. Second hand market is much more limited.

Anyway, I found a Jeff Rowland Concentra on ebay for 1400 GBP so I took the plunge and will get it soon. I also found a nice gold pair of Wilson 5.1 for 2500 GBP here in Bangkok which I will go to see/buy this weekend. So there you go. Watch this space for an update when they both come together. I took the advice on the 5.1 from comments here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing