Martin Logans or Wilson 5.1 with Jeff Rowland or Modwright?

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
Hi folks, I need some input to help me decide which system to move towards (second hand, unable to demo in my own room).

I like the openness of Martin Logans (Summit probably, because they're within budget) and I love the attack and immediacy of my old Wilson Sophias. I have the MLs or Wilson 5.1 available second hand local to me.

As for amps, I have the Jeff Rowland Concentra, Continuum 500 S1 or Modwright LS36.5/KWA150 (not S.E) available for sale locally.

Considering my music taste with is a lot of electronica with vocals and some softer guitar/vocals if my mood desires it, which system combination would you choose? A subwoofer could also be bought for the ML's if need be. I like airy clean vocals and resolution despite my love for well-recorded electronic music, and I love 3D imaging and attack. I won't be playing any soft jazz etc. during my lifetime.

My room is fairly large with a lot of windows and tiled floor with rugs, but it's not overly bright.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For vocals and soft guitar Logans with valve amps, but they won't do the electronics well. The Wilson 5.1 sound with SET amps and can rock better.

For Logans you need to be able to pull them out and no window behind - preferably flat wall. So unless you have a flat front wall go Wilson.

Have you heard the 5.1 - there is a guy not far from London with a pair matched up with Icon Audio.

I assume you are still in the UK unless you have moved?

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Bonzo, nice to see you here and thanks for your opinion. I do have a large flat wall (covered in acoustic panels) which Logans could back up against, and I could get them 1m or more out into the room.

I've never heard Wilson 5.1 but some people regard them as better and more dynamic than Sophias and later models. I can pick some up for £3000 here.

I'm no longer in UK...I'm in Bangkok permanently now. More space for the money here. So this is why I need to sell most of my UK system and rebuild....I can't export it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree the 5.1 are better than Sophia and Sasha 1, I didn't like Alexia either. The new Sabrina and Sasha II are good.

If you get the Logans don't take it as a granted the acoustic panels will sound good. Many prefer the wall naked, some like absorbers, some think they deaden the back wave, and some like diffusers. You would have to try.

If you like the 5.1, they will be easier to live with then being stuck in the sweet spot with the MLs.

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
That makes sense. I was also considering the Thiel 3.7 but they are considering pricier.

So what amp the amp choices? What do you think of the two options?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That makes sense. I was also considering the Thiel 3.7 but they are considering pricier.

When I heard those Wilsons they were with icon audio. I would go valves with both at that budget, an used AR for Logans or a powerfull SET. Stay with an amp you can sell off easily as with such speakers you need to do a bit of amp merry go round to decide.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
For vocals and soft guitar Logans with valve amps, but they won't do the electronics well. The Wilson 5.1 sound with SET amps and can rock better.

For Logans you need to be able to pull them out and no window behind - preferably flat wall. So unless you have a flat front wall go Wilson.

Have you heard the 5.1 - there is a guy not far from London with a pair matched up with Icon Audio.

I assume you are still in the UK unless you have moved?

Which Icon Audio amp? Many of their big 845 amps are actually push/pull and not SET. Also, the 5.1 is not an ideal speaker for SET because it drops to quite a low impedance in the midbass (if I remember correctly). Sensitivity is ok but the impedance is not very SET friendly, unlike the old X1, which was very SET friendly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I like the openness of Martin Logans (Summit probably, because they're within budget) and I love the attack and immediacy of my old Wilson Sophias. I have the MLs or Wilson 5.1 available second hand local to me. (...)

The 5.1 were my first Wilson's. Really great sound with conrad johnson electronics. At the price you are referring they are a steal, particularly if they have already been re- foamed - the Dynaudio drivers had this problem.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Great speaker and my friends and I have quite a bit of experience with it and different amps...particularly tube amps...it works despite what a lot of people think on paper.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

. . .

+1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which Icon Audio amp? Many of their big 845 amps are actually push/pull and not SET. Also, the 5.1 is not an ideal speaker for SET because it drops to quite a low impedance in the midbass (if I remember correctly). Sensitivity is ok but the impedance is not very SET friendly, unlike the old X1, which was very SET friendly.

It was an 80w icon audio. I don't remember the details much

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The 5.1 were my first Wilson's. Really great sound with conrad johnson electronics. At the price you are referring they are a steal, particularly if they have already been re- foamed - the Dynaudio drivers had this problem.

I actually thought that the W/P 7 was a far better sounding speaker. Every time I heard the 5.1 it was underwhelming to say the least. The big X1 though, now that was the first speaker where I thought Wilson Audio knew what it was doing with speaker design.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
My vote is for Jeff Rowland with either speaker. Since your room is large you can resolve the most common issue with the panels of the ML being too close to the front wall.

CarlBkk

Feb 3, 2017
Bangkok
Just to give you an idea this is the living room/listening room. At the far end is the blank wall with windows either side. Behind me where I was taking the photo are glass sliding doors. The recess on the left might throw the focus out a bit..not sure. It's pretty much open-plan. The far wall is 4.5m wide. The living room is 15m long.

living room.JPG

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
Hi folks, I need some input to help me decide which system to move towards (second hand, unable to demo in my own room).

I like the openness of Martin Logans (Summit probably, because they're within budget) and I love the attack and immediacy of my old Wilson Sophias. I have the MLs or Wilson 5.1 available second hand local to me.

As for amps, I have the Jeff Rowland Concentra, Continuum 500 S1 or Modwright LS36.5/KWA150 (not S.E) available for sale locally.

Considering my music taste with is a lot of electronica with vocals and some softer guitar/vocals if my mood desires it, which system combination would you choose? A subwoofer could also be bought for the ML's if need be. I like airy clean vocals and resolution despite my love for well-recorded electronic music, and I love 3D imaging and attack. I won't be playing any soft jazz etc. during my lifetime.

My room is fairly large with a lot of windows and tiled floor with rugs, but it's not overly bright.

I can speak with a little experience because I am to blame for introducing you to Modwright. Remember the listening session?

I don't think Martin Logan would be suitable for what you need them for. I would much prefer the Wilson upgrade.

Regards

Cyclopse

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I like airy clean vocals and resolution despite my love for well-recorded electronic music, and I love 3D imaging and attack. I won't be playing any soft jazz etc. during my lifetime.

The Martin Logans are are going to be airy alright, but at the expense of attack at times. 3D imaging should be excellent with M/L as long as you don't move your head more than six inches either way of the sweet spot.

Acoustics of your room will be challenging for any speaker, but I'm a M/L fan and would just deal with it.

I'm not a Wilson fan but respect them for what they are - boxes with an attitude.

I'm a fan of tubes, but if you are set on SS go for the more musical with fuller sound, the bomb blasts of raw power get old too quickly.

EDIT:
I've read some of the other comments, and have to agree that M/L's will reveal the short comings of some poorly recorded electronic music, more often, and more severely than a box speaker which tends to compress and masks such flaws with a solidness (a good thing sometimes - see).

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I agree the 5.1 are better than Sophia and Sasha 1, I didn't like Alexia either. The new Sabrina and Sasha II are good.

If you get the Logans don't take it as a granted the acoustic panels will sound good. Many prefer the wall naked, some like absorbers, some think they deaden the back wave, and some like diffusers. You would have to try.

If you like the 5.1, they will be easier to live with then being stuck in the sweet spot with the MLs.

I agree and have found diffusion/diffraction works best behind the speakers with some absorption in between the speakers.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Depends on the distance of the panels from the back wall.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
3D imaging should be excellent with M/L as long as you don't move your head more than six inches either way of the sweet spot.

All speakers have this issue to one degree or another.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing