The Proper Use of the Apostrophe

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I see our great leader is going to court to get upheld his ban on apostrophes from seven countries known to be at risk of using them inappropriately
He wants to make sure no rogue apostrophes enter the US and put everyone at risk from poor grammar

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My brother’s friend’s dogs (this refers to the dogs belonging to the friend of one brother).
My brother’s friends’ dogs (the dogs belonging to the friends of one brother).
My brothers’ friend’s dogs (the dogs belonging to the friend of more than one brother).
My brothers’ friends’ dogs (the dogs belonging to the friends of more than one brother).

It’s only the positioning of the apostrophes here that clarifies what you’re saying; the wording is otherwise exactly the same.

Yes! And each of your examples derives from possessiveness.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
or the proper use of its vs. it's.

That is an easy one: "It's" is a contraction if "it is."

It is an exception to the general use of apostrophes based on possessiveness.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gosh' , thi's t'hread rea'lly i's h'ard to' f'ollow

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Plural acronyms should have an apostrophe as it avoids confusion so CD's is actually correct. :eek: 1980's is more obviously not correct.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I can tell there are some folks on here with a case of the apostrophe OCD's and/or OCDs.

IT'S CDO, not OCD.

All the letters must be in alphabetical order.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In the sentence "Ok ,I am replacing a set of ESL with a set of very nice original Sophia's.." there is nothing possessive about Sophias going on, and so no apostrophe in Sophias is necessary.

In this sentence fragment: "can't wait for the first review's." review is plural but not possessive. An apostrophe there is completely wrong.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
When to use a semicolon is what I want to know, Ron. I always get stuck between using a colon or semicolon. lol!

Dan

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
My biggest personal gripe is "loose" or "loosing" when people mean "lose" or "losing". That one is becoming ubiquitous on the forums I frequent, and it's like nails on a blackboard for me. The apostrophe thing is certainly annoying, but not as bad to my mind as the your and you're issue, or the there, their and they're confusion.

While I'm ranting, the incorrect use of the word "revert" drives me batty. Yes yes, I know language changes and all that but I like rules dammit!!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When to use a semicolon is what I want to know, Ron. I always get stuck between using a colon or semicolon. lol!

Dan

From Grammarbook.com:

Rule: Use a comma between two long independent clauses when conjunctions such as and, or, but, for, nor connect them.
Example: I have painted the entire house, but she is still working on sanding the floors.

Rule: If the clauses are both short, you may omit the comma.
Example: I painted and he sanded.

Rule: If you have only one clause (one subject and verb pair), you won’t usually need a comma in front of the conjunction.
Example: I have painted the house but still need to sand the floors.
This sentence has two verbs but only one subject, so it has only one clause.

Rule: Use the semicolon if you have two independent clauses connected without a conjunction.
Example: I have painted the house; I still need to sand the floors.

Rule: Also use the semicolon when you already have commas within a sentence for smaller separations, and you need the semicolon to show bigger separations.
Example: We had a reunion with family from Salt Lake City, Utah; Los Angeles, California; and Albany, New York.

Rule: A colon is used to introduce a second sentence that clarifies the first sentence.
Example: We have set this restriction: do your homework before watching television.
Notice that the first word of the second sentence is not capitalized. If, however, you have additional sentences following the sentence with the colon and they explain the sentence prior to the colon, capitalize the first word of all the sentences following the colon.

Rule: Use a colon to introduce a list when no introductory words like namely, for instance, i.e., e.g. precede the list.
Example: I need four paint colors: blue, gray, green, and red.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My biggest personal gripe is "loose" or "loosing" when people mean "lose" or "losing". That one is becoming ubiquitous on the forums I frequent, and it's like nails on a blackboard for me. The apostrophe thing is certainly annoying, but not as bad to my mind as the your and you're issue, or the there, their and they're confusion.

While I'm ranting, the incorrect use of the word "revert" drives me batty. Yes yes, I know language changes and all that but I like rules dammit!!

I understand! How do some people misuse "revert"? (You made me nervous about "revert," but I checked the definition and I use "revert" correctly.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dan,

I have difficulty with "that" versus "which."

I find it annoying to figure out when to use "comprise" versus "compose" versus "consist of."

Avoiding unnecessary apostrophes (general rule: if it is not possessive, then do not use an apostrophe) is easy compared to these questions, I think.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I understand! How do some people misuse "revert"? (You made me nervous about "revert," but I checked the definition and I use "revert" correctly.)

I often get emails where people promise to "revert" to me, by which they mean they'll get back to me in due course. I appreciate that this usage is now so common that the meaning of the word is actually changing before our very eyes, but as far as I'm concerned this means the person is going to turn back into me by way of some kind of metamorphosis. Revert means to return to a previous state of being or thought or practice. The reality is that we really need a word which means what people think "revert" means, but I don't think there's a suitable alternative.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The American Heritage Dictionary -- my personal authoritative reference -- agrees with you.

I have been using "revert" incorrectly. (The online dictionary I first checked approves of the incorrect usage.)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
A instructor once informed me I would be the death of the comma. Guilty as charged.

Here are a few words I find used improperly on regular basis.

Mute for moot

Renumeration for remuneration

Ensure, insure and assure

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing