The Proper Use of the Apostrophe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Not the way I learned to use them on abbreviations, nor the way my bazillion of reports and papers were written (that were all proofed by some tech editor, usually several, along the way). I have always been required to add an apostrophe after various acronyms and abbreviations and am unlikely to change, sorry (old dogs).

p136 of my old Harbrace College Handbook (8th printing, 1977): "Use the apostrophe and s to form the plural of lower-case letters and abbreviations... When needed...use to form the plural of abbreviations, symbols..." It goes on to say either is acceptable for abbreviations and provides examples. This reference would say CD's or CDs is valid.

If the worst thing about me is my grammar I'll die content.

And I thought the cable debates were bad...

I give that college handbook an "F." It is incorrect.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That's a good thread Ron.
The apostasy's synthesis is a reality of all language's classes and forms.
A good punctuation is a sign of a good education.

"L'apothéose est l'ultime découverte de la sagesse." :b
____

How many apostrophes did I use all together in the four above lines?
____

Bonus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_(punctuation)

Please note; the 'apostrophe' in the English language has significant interpretations depending of the phrase's composition in its sentencing.
{This is not a test, this doesn't require adjustment, this is not the absolute, this is only an experiment.}
____

Question: Is it possible to make the wrong decision from a wrongful judgement based solely on punctuation alone?
Like for example; if someone's native tongue is not the English language (England), can it be there a possibility to wrong interpretation leading to wrong judgement?
How do we interpret accurately the true sense of the words written with their chosen punctuation!
What standards are there in the universal language? Can words be misinterpreted? Are words a tool to communicate freedom?

The English language is one of the world's universal spoken languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

This is all important; communication. It's the base of decision's making/deals in the whole world.
The clearer the language is the more transparent the right word's meaning. ...Punctuation included.

Can some words be more honest than others? ...Eg.; Love in the infinity.
Can some words be emotionally impacting? ...Eg.; Flying saucers from space.

:b I'm making a small effort to be light, humorous, politely restricted, constrained, chained, au-dela-du-réel.

Punctuation and word's meaning, interpretation, correctness, 'syphilisation' (civilized).

Apostrophy ' ...conventional wisdom, coma sense, interjection, interpretation, punctuation, linguistics, English grammar.
French, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, ...all world's languages.

"In linguistics, grammar is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language. The term refers also to the study of such rules, and this field includes morphology, syntax, and phonology, often complemented by phonetics, semantics, and pragmatics."
_____

Facebook, Twitter, audio forums, audio blogs, news channels, ...all social communication systems of exchanges; are they always perfectly interpreted? We live in an era where words have never been so much used than they are now. And it will continue @ an even faster paste tomorrow.
And not only that; punctuation plays a major role in word's attachments. But are we speaking new languages now in social medias?
We deconstruct what we've learned @ school and make our own. Eg.; Do you drive? ? Do u ride?

* Right on?% Has Tom Brady find his jersey yet!$

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Here is an example of the most egregious and annoying misuse of the English language - using an adjective as a noun. This one is particularly distasteful and highlights Americans' tendencies toward lazy expression.

After 28 years of practicing Anesthesia, I have gotten lazy after my retirement. Yes, my "bad".

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Let's recap!

apostrophe_flow_chart.jpg

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I could take somebody insulting my hearing, my equipment, my setup, my taste, but the apostrophe slur was too much.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I could take somebody insulting my hearing, my equipment, my setup, my taste, but the apostrophe slur was too much.

When I was growing up with my two brothers and two sisters, my Mom used to say occasionally; "Toi mon apostrophe-là!" ...Meaning "wise up!"

It was a learning culture language my Mom got from her own Mom. It's very true. ...Geraldine was her Mom's name, and Parise is my Mom's name.
The link below (in French) is the origin of that expression using "apostrophe" to address a person's character. It goes even further...
http://www.persee.fr/doc/igram_0222-9838_2003_num_96_1_2642

•• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe_(figure_of_speech)

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeeaahh . . . I think "CD's" is a major apostrophe violation. :)
It actually isn't Ron. The general rule is that you should use an apostrophe if it avoids confusion. In the olden days before people knew what CDs were, putting an "s" in there as I just did may have made them think it is always called "CDs" so "CD's" was OK to use. Using the general (current) rule of less is more, it is highly recommended that no apostrophe be used. However if such use can create confusion, apostrophe is required yet again. Imagine if a "CDs" process was used to create CDs. See how confusing that is? In this case one would add an apostrophe for plural of CD as to distinguish it from the process called "CDs."

Mind you I am not remotely smart enough or have mastery of English to know all of this :). I wrote a technical book in 1990s and asked my publisher (Prentice Hall) how to check my grammar and he recommended Chicago Manual of Style. This is a 100+ year book (gone through countless revisions) that is the bible for writers. I augmented it with Science and Technical Writing. By using these two I was able to get answers to just about every question of this type. The idea is to stick to one established style so that you can defend your writing. Not that there is only one answer for all the gray areas.

Whats the connection to audio anyways???

:D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My brother’s friend’s dogs (this refers to the dogs belonging to the friend of one brother).
My brother’s friends’ dogs (the dogs belonging to the friends of one brother).
My brothers’ friend’s dogs (the dogs belonging to the friend of more than one brother).
My brothers’ friends’ dogs (the dogs belonging to the friends of more than one brother).

It’s only the positioning of the apostrophes here that clarifies what you’re saying; the wording is otherwise exactly the same.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I hate vertical apostrophes and quotation marks.

An apostrophe, like a comma, always has the tail to the left. So-called "smart quotes" are the way to go with quotation marks. It has ALWAYS been that way in typesetting. Vertical quotes and apostrophes only came into being with OLD mechanical typewriters that saved on the number of keys by having them all be vertical.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It actually isn't Ron.

The general rule is that you should use an apostrophe if it avoids confusion. In the olden days before people knew what CDs were, putting an "s" in there as I just did may have made them think it is always called "CDs" so "CD's" was OK to use. Using the general (current) rule of less is more, it is highly recommended that no apostrophe be used. However if such use can create confusion, apostrophe is required yet again. Imagine if a "CDs" process was used to create CDs. See how confusing that is? In this case one would add an apostrophe for plural of CD as to distinguish it from the process called "CDs."

Mind you I am not remotely smart enough or have mastery of English to know all of this :). I wrote a technical book in 1990s and asked my publisher (Prentice Hall) how to check my grammar and he recommended Chicago Manual of Style. This is a 100+ year book (gone through countless revisions) that is the bible for writers. I augmented it with Science and Technical Writing. By using these two I was able to get answers to just about every question of this type. The idea is to stick to one established style so that you can defend your writing. Not that there is only one answer for all the gray areas.

Whats the connection to audio anyways???

:D

I do not think any general rule encourages misuse. I do not see how the confusing misuse of an apostrophe avoids confusion.

We can agree to disagree on this one, Amir. :)

I grew weary of seeing many plural but non-possessive nouns and acronyms (CD's, 1980's, etc.) get apostrophe-ized incorrectly.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You can certainly argue that CDs of the 1980s: 1980s' CDs or 1980s CDs, but not 1980's CD's

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing