The Proper Use of the Apostrophe

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A instructor once informed me I would be the death of the comma. Guilty as charged.

Here are a few words I find used improperly used on regular basis.

Mute for moot

Renumeration for remuneration

Ensure, insure and assure

now how do you spell D-Y-S-L-E-X-I-C :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
From Grammarbook.com:

Rule: Use a comma between two long independent clauses when conjunctions such as and, or, but, for, nor connect them.
Example: I have painted the entire house, but she is still working on sanding the floors.

Rule: If the clauses are both short, you may omit the comma.
Example: I painted and he sanded.

Rule: If you have only one clause (one subject and verb pair), you won’t usually need a comma in front of the conjunction.
Example: I have painted the house but still need to sand the floors.
This sentence has two verbs but only one subject, so it has only one clause.

Rule: Use the semicolon if you have two independent clauses connected without a conjunction.
Example: I have painted the house; I still need to sand the floors.

Rule: Also use the semicolon when you already have commas within a sentence for smaller separations, and you need the semicolon to show bigger separations.
Example: We had a reunion with family from Salt Lake City, Utah; Los Angeles, California; and Albany, New York.

Rule: A colon is used to introduce a second sentence that clarifies the first sentence.
Example: We have set this restriction: do your homework before watching television.
Notice that the first word of the second sentence is not capitalized. If, however, you have additional sentences following the sentence with the colon and they explain the sentence prior to the colon, capitalize the first word of all the sentences following the colon.

Rule: Use a colon to introduce a list when no introductory words like namely, for instance, i.e., e.g. precede the list.
Example: I need four paint colors: blue, gray, green, and red.

Thanks, Ron! That clears it up just enough...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My two cents
Amongst music listeners, only audiophiles of a certain age who pay due care and attention in their lives even care about the humble apostrophe.
Your I Pod Mini listening 10-25 yr olds don't give a monkeys about the proper use of the Queen's English
Or is that monkey's
?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Those of you "waiting with baited breath"... what do you hope to catch?

Where did the saying waiting with baited breath come from?
Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process called aphesis); it means “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
revert

I often get emails where people promise to "revert" to me, by which they mean they'll get back to me in due course. I appreciate that this usage is now so common that the meaning of the word is actually changing before our very eyes, but as far as I'm concerned this means the person is going to turn back into me by way of some kind of metamorphosis. Revert means to return to a previous state of being or thought or practice. The reality is that we really need a word which means what people think "revert" means, but I don't think there's a suitable alternative.

In investment banks and corporate law firms, this misuse of revert - to mean to respond in due course - is ubiquitous. I was perplexed when I first saw it and checked the dictionary, thinking that the people around me, who were very smart and successful, couldn't be misusing the word. But they were.

And now, to communicate with bankers and lawyers, I misuse revert, too.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In general an apostrophe denotes possessiveness. Please note that there is nothing possessive about garden variety plural names or nouns:

"The Rockport Altair's are good speakers."

"My amplifiers are mono's"

"I have three Air Tight PC-1's."

"My speaker's sound good to me."

The apostrophe is incorrect in each of these cases.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
:)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surely you mean “preachin’ to the choir”?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Your preaching to the choir Ron, Its an uphill battle thats never gon’na be won,

Lee

Its only gettin worse to...

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Well.......If we are going to wear our goat hair pedantry shorts, I wasn't aware that you were a Site Founder Ron ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
An apostrophe is a punctuation mark used in contractions to replace missing letters. The contraction "we'll" stands for "we will," with the apostrophe replacing "wi." It can also show possession, as in "Mary's car." The apostrophe indicates the car belongs to Mary.

To correctly pronounce apostrophe, accent the second syllable: "uh-POSS-truh-fee." In addition to being a punctuation mark, apostrophe can also be a literary device in which the speaker of a poem talks to someone who is not there. A famous example of this is Walt Whitman's "O Captain! My Captain!" in which he addresses the deceased Abraham Lincoln: "O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells."

____

To me, in my use, it's a short cut short of the full time it takes to write and speak.
It can be used to shorten hundreds of things. It can even be used when we feel short of being lazy.
It is what it is for many and not necessarily in that order. ...Queen's temple.

Today's bright sunny day outside. We ducked a tsunami due to geographical circumstances.
The winds were blowin' real hard for a while, just recently not long ago.
Living on an island is like living in paradise, wearing a sailor's hat and carrying an umbrella in the car's door.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well.......If we are going to wear our goat hair pedantry shorts, I wasn't aware that you were a Site Founder Ron ?

This thread is about the correct use of the apostrophe. It is not a general comment thread. :)

Steve was very generous and gracious in retaining for me the same title Amir enjoyed.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
An apostrophe is a punctuation mark used in contractions to replace missing letters. The contraction "we'll" stands for "we will," with the apostrophe replacing "wi." It can also show possession, as in "Mary's car." The apostrophe indicates the car belongs to Mary.

To correctly pronounce apostrophe, accent the second syllable: "uh-POSS-truh-fee." In addition to being a punctuation mark, apostrophe can also be a literary device in which the speaker of a poem talks to someone who is not there. A famous example of this is Walt Whitman's "O Captain! My Captain!" in which he addresses the deceased Abraham Lincoln: "O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells."

____

To me, in my use, it's a short cut short of the full time it takes to write and speak.
It can be used to shorten hundreds of things. It can even be used when we feel short of being lazy.
It is what it is for many and not necessarily in that order. ...Queen's temple.

Today's bright sunny day outside. We ducked a tsunami due to geographical circumstances.
The winds were blowin' real hard for a while, just recently not long ago.
Living on an island is like living in paradise, wearing a sailor's hat and carrying an umbrella in the car's door.

Did you read the latest news about Robert De Niro?
https://theintercept.com/2018/01/23/robert-de-niro-barbuda-hotel-hurricane-irma/

Does Robert De Niro evidence an incorrect use of the apostrophe?

If not, please stay on topic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing