harmonics and single-ended versus balanced audio cables

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The run from my preamp to power amps is 50 feet. About 38 feet from the rear diagonal corner with the sources to the center of the room on the opposite side of the room running in the basement to the amplifiers plus about six feet above the floor on each end.

I am using differential balanced XLR cables because they minimize noise gain over the cable run. If you have no noise generating sources near the cables, there shouldn't be any difference between single ended and differential balanced XLR.

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
If you have no noise generating sources near the cables, there shouldn't be any difference between single ended and differential balanced XLR.

This is a fairly commonly believed myth. However the reality is common-mode noise reaches the victim cable by conducted means so physical separation is relatively immaterial.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
But it's also dependent on the equipment, as different equipment will reject more, less, or no common-mode noise.

It's easy to forget that factor. Even reading PDF's from cable manufacturers and such, it's easy to point out how much of a fault types of cables may have. But they ignore the differences in electronics and continue on as if they're all totally inept.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Boy, Ron, the use of the apostrophe isn't the only grammatical concept about which you are obsessive.

I'm going to be very careful to never end a sentence with a preposition! ! !

Ooops, I used a split infinitive. Please forgive me!

:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I suspect that should be ok, the environment isn't very dirty from other electronics and such. And sometime in the near future I'll have a finished product that can be used to reduce the noise picked up down to balanced or lower levels, so that'll become an option. (it exists already, just hasn't been made into the final version)

But I have to say, wow, that's a long run. Mike L's amazing room only takes 28ft~, for example.

My room is only 25 feet long but the preamp is in the room next door. So by the time you add the length from the preamp down to the floor and across into the listening room and over to the other side of the room and up 20 feet to the front wall and over to the amplifier it all adds up to about 45 feet.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just to remember that sometimes the less is more implies that capacitors in the signal path are an enemy - than input and interstage transformers are used in SETs.

Perhaps, with the exception of coupling capacitors which are far more common between driver and output stage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing