Iverson Force Field Loudspeaker

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Some of you may have heard about a speaker that has taken on mythical proportions among the audiophile cognescenti that was developed by the brilliant and highly eccentric designer John Iverson. Iverson was a genuine Hi End audio cult figure in the mid 70's and the inventor of the well regarding ElectroResearch 75 watt amplifier. I became acquainted with this product through the late Mel Schilling who had a high end audio store in Woodland Hills, California at that time. I'm not sure how it happened but a few of us were invited to Iverson's factory in Orange County, CA to hear this supposedly miraculous speaker, which very few people have actually heard (as opposed to heard about, of which there were many). It now occurs to me that as time goes by, there are fewer and fewer people living that have heard the speaker and so I was intrigued when Russ first posted his recollection in another rather obscure WBF thread. Of historical interest, Russ and I first met at undergraduate school at the University of Rochester in the early 70's. We lost touch with each other, only to find each other at a Ray Bradbury lecture at USC a few years later; he was in his psychiatry residency program and I was in med school at USC. We have become good friends ever since, and now live a little over an hour from each other despite many interim years of being in cities quite far away from each other. It is no thrill to admit we are probably among the last living people to have actually have heard the Iverson Force Field speaker. For this reason I thought I would re-post our recollections in the general forum thread.

You can read about our respective experiences here in posts #122 and #125 respectively.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...eaker-you-have-ever-heard&p=434049#post434049

The thread is aptly titled "What is the most highly resolving loudspeaker you have heard" but it's buried in a rather obscure subwoofer and headphone subforum so I thought I'd resurrect here since I think most members will enjoy it reading it.
Marty

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It was with both a great read , especially the teleportation stories and lp s lying around ;), may be the surroundings /event influenced the musicperformance /hearing as well .
I m sure there is some technologie which could bring the audience closer to the real event yet un/to be rediscovered.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing