Gregadds'thrift store surround soumd system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did you join the cast of Storage Wars or something? The prices are unbelievably low for stuff in working condition.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Did you join the cast of Storage Wars or something? The prices are unbelievably low for stuff in working condition.

These are charity based thrift stores in an affluent neighborhood. A large portion of the customers are also donors. We lobby hard for fair prices. I also receive senior citizen discounts.Often they make mistakes. For instance the integrated amp was presumed dead when all it needed was jumper cables and to be "run-in" for a few days. An Fm dipole cable vastly improves fm tuner performance. I carry such items in my pocket when shopping.
The staff generally ignores my advice. The customers listen.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Gregadds'thrift store surround sound system.

In this thread Greg will chronicle his thrift store surround system.
Stay tuned.
So glad I found this thread.. ASR needs a new hero.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
UPDATE:

Thread is five years old, now your house is filled up with old stuff, when is your garage sale?;)
i am still the oldest thing in my house.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I put together a cheap HT in a spare bedroom for my grandson.

I thought I was cutting costs, but your approach makes me look like I threw away a fortune.

Mine was largely based on leftovers from other systems I’d had over the years.

I’ve got Sonus Faber Liuto monitors on their original stands at LF and RF. A matching Sonus Faber center at C (I had to buy this. It was probably $400 used). A pair of PSA Alpha AVs mounted above ear level at LR and RR. I traded for a Revel B112 V2 sub … mostly power cords no longer in use here. I bought a latest model low level Denon AVR for about $400. And a Sony streaming UHD player for about $250.

Perfect for watching or listening to disks or streams with 5.1 audio. I put an exercise bike in the room so that it (the HT) gets daily use even when grandson isn’t here.

Reactions: Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing