ELLE (2016) Official HD Trailer - Paul Verhoeven

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I wanted to see this film after having watched the 2017 Golden Globes Awards where Isabelle Huppert won the award for Best Actress in a Drama. I had briefly heard of the movie but had not seen it and wondered what the fuss was about especially since I believe that Emma Stone deserve the Oscar this year for her role in La La Land.
I saw this at a matinee yesterday and it was one of the most difficult films to watch......

Michèle seems indestructible. Head of a leading video game company, she brings the same ruthless attitude to her love life as to business. Being attacked in her home by an unknown assailant changes Michèle’s life forever. When she resolutely tracks the man down, they are both drawn into a curious and thrilling game—a game that may, at any moment, spiral out of control.

The film is 2 hours long and is in French with English subtitles. Isabelle Huppert's character is somewhat flawed for so many things two of which are having a 6-8 month affair with her partner's husband..

Having a lesbian relationship with her partner many years ago when they were young

Having torrid feelings for the husband of one of her neighbors who she watches with binoculars as she masturbates

Finally being sexually assaulted by a masked man who brutally beats her up

Having a son involved with a young woman who has a child he thinks is his own only to have a black child

All I can say is the Golden Globes are by Foreign press o it isn't unusual to see them vote for a winner other than an American (as we saw when they voted for Hugh Laurie as Best Actor in the Night Manager over Joh Lithgow in the Crown who IMO was the deserved winner)

If Isabelle Huppert wins Best Actress in this role all i can say is the Academy is blinded. This movie was suspenseful until you know who her attacker is and then the film goes down hill even more

Not worth seeing but maybe the price of a rental when available. This movie was a downer from start to finish and makes you want to swallow a bottle of Prozac upon leaving the theater

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Lol :D ...We sure have all different eyes when it comes to movies, and different ears too when it comes to music.
And that is exactly what makes this world so diversified and beautifully challenging, I think. :b

Me I liked the film's structure, the overall atmosphere, the compositions, the relaxed confrontations, ...brief I liked that film...one of the best this year.
Hey, c'est la vie, la vie d'Elle.

I prefer Julieta though.
_____

I would venture to say that films of that type (foreigns and from these directors, with the subject matters) can have a wide impact on different people depending on so many complex human things that it's almost undefinable, except to the ones who can identify up to their own certain level in life. It's like entering the mind of the film's director, get wild, go beyond. Isn't it like Arrival and La La Land; different people will have different reactions? IMO the deeper we enter films the more exposed the filmmaker's messages became. Then it is simply a matter of acceptance or refusal...a question of personal taste...without any external influence whatsoever. Films are like communions; it can be orgasmic or it can be disastrous...anything between. The power of films; inspirational or detrimental to the psyche of a man, woman and child. ...Way of speech.

Steve I like your forwardness. Elle is another film's exploration...from Paul Verhoeven's sketches, weaving moving canvas.
There is an undeniable polished quality in his films. He's a women's lover, like Pedro Almodóvar, both romantic composers with a special extra daring.

Now that you saw Elle (French with English subtitles), try Julieta (Spanish with English subtitles).
Me, no subtitles; it completely takes you out of the story in pictures. Elle is easy for me because French is my blood, and Spanish I can maneuver around, and here from Pedro.

English also I can get by:

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing