Wilson Yvette review

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't understand designing a speaker that is only "perfect" from one distance (9' in this case) without adjusting seating height, which is usually difficult to do.

http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/press/HFN_0217_Yvette_4web.pdf

It also continues the trend of Wilson becoming tougher to drive- equivalent of 1.5 ohms at 65hz according to their measurements. The Sophia was first introduced as a 3-way speaker that was easy to drive on a Naim Nait.

KeithR

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't understand designing a speaker that is only "perfect" from one distance (9' in this case) without adjusting seating height, which is usually difficult to do.

http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/press/HFN_0217_Yvette_4web.pdf

Well, you according to Wilson, cited in the review, you can also adjust the spikes to lean the speaker back or forward. That's not so bad.

I
It also continues the trend of Wilson becoming tougher to drive- equivalent of 1.5 ohms at 65hz according to their measurements. The Sophia was first introduced as a 3-way speaker that was easy to drive on a Naim Nait.

KeithR

This is more concerning. Why would anyone want a speaker that is a bitch to drive? It is a bit incomprehensible to me that some manufacturers still do that these days.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
tilting the speaker also is going to have other effects - i'm not sure that is really desirable.

all of Wilsons higher up speakers are adjustable, so this isn't an issue - its an Yvette specific problem imo

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
All recent mid-priced Wilsons are tough to drive (Sasha, Alexia). Sasha 1 had the EPDR (equivalent peak dissipation resistance) of 0.9 Ohm, if memory serves me right.

EPDR is different from minimum impedance though ! Ivette's min imp is 2.94ohm @ 90Hz. Sasha 1 min imp was 1.8 Ohm.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All recent mid-priced Wilsons are tough to drive (Sasha, Alexia). Sasha 1 had the EPDR (equivalent peak dissipation resistance) of 0.9 Ohm, if memory serves me right.

EPDR is different from minimum impedance though ! Ivette's min imp is 2.94ohm @ 90Hz. Sasha 1 min imp was 1.8 Ohm.

You are right - but two additional aspects must be taken in account - at what frequency deeps happen, and how many and large they are. Also impedance analysis can not be separated from speaker efficiency - a more efficient speaker would need much less voltage and proportionally less current. In fact, modern Wilson's are able to work perfectly with many medium power tube amplifiers.

Unfortunately the simple single figure specifications most of the time are misleading. IMHO the very short summary of a few measurements published by HifiNews is a shame - in the old days we could get the full tests at Paul Miller site http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/avtech/index.html, it was a serious affair. If you do not want to publish enough information better omitting it all.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
First and foremost impedance curve cannot be separated from phase curve. The combination of low impedance and low phase angle, is not as demanding as medium impedance but accompanied by a high phase angle. And this is exactly what EPDR (equivalent peak dissipation resistance) shows and why it is so usefull to describe the 'toughness' of speaker's load on the amplifier.

I agree that high efficiency helps a bit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just to illustrate - what will audiophiles conclude from these words?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 540

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Just to illustrate - what will audiophiles conclude from these words?

That the speaker is a bitch to drive and should be avoided (?).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Limits your amplification choice , but can still be a very good speaker if paired properly, there is a lot more to it off course then efficiency and impedance
Although 1,7 ohms is indeed very low, tubes ?? not sure

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It would be interesting if someone would do a measurement comparison to see whether any actual improvement within the speaker versions.
Suffice it to say success speaks for itself.
Wilson feels no need to reinvent the wheel. Perfecting current ideas seems to be enough for them....and their loyal customers.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

For only 25K what do you expect....they had to cut costs somewhere...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Efficiency has nothing to do with costs , its merely a priority thing somewhere else , wilson can make a high eff speaker with a fairly benign imp curve they have done with several designs iirc ,
In fact anybody can make a high eff speaker with a flat response ;),( if you have proper measuring gear ) thats not a problem, enough diy/ easy to drive high eff speakers .
A lot still sound like crap but thats not the point

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The picture with the quoted text comes from the HifNews review of the Magico S3, an excellent sounding speaker that got great reviews ... :eek: Just posted it to show how misleading can be such brief and hasty appreciations!

And also to remember that it is not only Wilson that has a trend to low impedance speakers - most manufacturers do it because most modern amplifiers have no problems driving them and is a way to increase sensitivity of the speaker. The concept of EPDR was introduced long ago because of the SOA (safe operating area) of power transistors - and then became fashionable in audiophile techno-jargon.

Yes, I know tubophiles are not happy with such low impedance!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Can you provide some references? To me Wilson remains challenged in those areas.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The picture with the quoted text comes from the HifNews review of the Magico S3, an excellent sounding speaker that got great reviews ... :eek: Just posted it to show how misleading can be such brief and hasty appreciations!

And also to remember that it is not only Wilson that has a trend to low impedance speakers - most manufacturers do it because most modern amplifiers have no problems driving them and is a way to increase sensitivity of the speaker. The concept of EPDR was introduced long ago because of the SOA (safe operating area) of power transistors - and then became fashionable in audiophile techno-jargon.

Yes, I know tubophiles are not happy with such low impedance!

Magico is a sealed box speaker that has never been coined easy to drive.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Good, then the Magico S3 should be avoided as well. Look we are in 2017, not in 1997. For electrostats I can understand them to continue to be hard to drive, but dynamic speakers? In this day and age this should not be the case anymore. Time to get rid of antiquated thinking among manufacturers.

I am really not bowing down in reverence to the high-end 'gods' anymore (not that I ever did). I call crap when I see it. I've lost patience with this kind of stuff. I don't have time for political correctness anymore.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Astonishing, no reaction to my provocative post?

Do I have a point, or do I not have a point? I am all ears.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Good, then the Magico S3 should be avoided as well. Look we are in 2017, not in 1997. For electrostats I can understand them to continue to be hard to drive, but dynamic speakers? In this day and age this should not be the case anymore. Time to get rid of antiquated thinking among manufacturers.

I am really not bowing down in reverence to the high-end 'gods' anymore (not that I ever did). I call crap when I see it. I've lost patience with this kind of stuff. I don't have time for political correctness anymore.

he he he ...

:)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing