Here's to the brick and mortars...and the brave souls who own them.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think enforcement is lax is the key issue. Interesting how some laws get enforced far more than others....:rolleyes:
There are ways around the law. The manufacturer can simply not renew your dealer agreement come next year if they don't like you discounting. Some don't care (because they get their money anyway) some do (if another dealer complains too much).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There are ways around the law. The manufacturer can simply not renew your dealer agreement come next year if they don't like you discounting. Some don't care (because they get their money anyway) some do (if another dealer complains too much).

Laws are only as good as how they are enforced. IMHO.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Davey, this is good news for your neighborhood. You can make more local friends, discover new music too from those new friendships.

When I've first read your title; "brick-and-mortars...brave souls", it instantly brought me back to my youth. :cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, this is good news for your neighborhood. You can make more local friends, discover new music too from those new friendships.

When I've first read your title; "brick-and-mortars...brave souls", it instantly brought me back to my youth. :cool:

Agreed, Bob. I do think it is good news for my neighborhood. Not so sure it is so great for the two brick and mortars that now compete for a fairly small market. I sincerely hope that there is enough support from the community for both establishments.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Competition can sometimes drive people nuts...with sometimes dire consequences. :D
Is it good, is it bad? Neither, c'est la vie. It's important to remain focus and not make the wrong decision. Easier said than done, IMO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed, Bob. I do think it is good news for my neighborhood. Not so sure it is so great for the two brick and mortars that now compete for a fairly small market. I sincerely hope that there is enough support from the community for both establishments.

Sometimes (not always), having more competition within a finite area can help create market demand. Sometimes (again, not always), we have seen that too small of a supply means less market awareness...and when greater availability/awareness and supply enters the market...it can generate greater demand.

For example, take a desolate street that is 'off the main center'...add 1 restaurant...not much happens...add 6 restaurants and a little outdoor square...and it creates enough of its own 'central locus' that there is suddenly demand...even to the point that overall restaurant expenditure in the entire area (incl the main center) goes UP.

In this case, the only question is whether the San Diego area has sufficient wealth (i think it does)...that MAYBE with the right collaboration between the 2 audio stores, they are able to jointly create a greater interest in audio systems that fit into lifestyles of:

- audiophiles who are now excited about the ability to upgrade
- potential audiophiles who are able to get into a serious system more easily
- non-audiophiles who start getting headphones as Christmas gifts, maybe a Devialet for the house or 2nd home

I do not know the San Diego market well enough to make that call...but perhaps the 2 stores might consider this possibility. Presumably they are not selling the same lines, which makes collaboration a bit easier.

Even if the audio trend were flat (i cannot say if it is or not), there is always potential to have a local area market buck the trend for some time.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sometimes (not always), having more competition within a finite area can help create market demand. Sometimes (again, not always), we have seen that too small of a supply means less market awareness...and when greater availability/awareness and supply enters the market...it can generate greater demand.

For example, take a desolate street that is 'off the main center'...add 1 restaurant...not much happens...add 6 restaurants and a little outdoor square...and it creates enough of its own 'central locus' that there is suddenly demand...even to the point that overall restaurant expenditure in the entire area (incl the main center) goes UP.

In this case, the only question is whether the San Diego area has sufficient wealth (i think it does)...that MAYBE with the right collaboration between the 2 audio stores, they are able to jointly create a greater interest in audio systems that fit into lifestyles of:

- audiophiles who are now excited about the ability to upgrade
- potential audiophiles who are able to get into a serious system more easily
- non-audiophiles who start getting headphones as Christmas gifts, maybe a Devialet for the house or 2nd home

I do not know the San Diego market well enough to make that call...but perhaps the 2 stores might consider this possibility. Presumably they are not selling the same lines, which makes collaboration a bit easier.

Even if the audio trend were flat (i cannot say if it is or not), there is always potential to have a local area market buck the trend for some time.

All good points, Lloyd.
I think Alex may or may not have an opinion on what you stated.
The actual location...La Jolla-- is a suburb of San Diego, and so is a much smaller area geographically and demographically than San Diego.
There have been recent closings of B&M stores in San Diego, the most notable being the Stereo Design store, which had been a high-end dealer for probably thirty(30) plus years, and well known nationwide!
Nonetheless, I certainly hope that what you postulate will come true.:D

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I find with some irony that the people who bemoan the disappearance of b&m stores usually don't shop at them.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The guy who opened the shop. is definitively not an inexperienced hifi dealer, I think its a great initiative and a good way to hear different gear, people can then decide.,if its their cup of tea or not .
The Daniel Hertz stores are popping up in a few locales...makes me wonder how people who are customers of theirs feel after they are exposed to other high-end gear? If, of course, that ever happens, LOL.:confused::rolleyes:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All good points, Lloyd.
I think Alex may or may not have an opinion on what you stated.
The actual location...La Jolla-- is a suburb of San Diego, and so is a much smaller area geographically and demographically than San Diego.
There have been recent closings of B&M stores in San Diego, the most notable being the Stereo Design store, which had been a high-end dealer for probably thirty(30) plus years, and well known nationwide!
Nonetheless, I certainly hope that what you postulate will come true.:D

Well, there IS one thing that we see in retail...it does evolve, and the venues/styles of what makes interesting 'high street' retail is definitely changing its game. Look at concepts like Macy's, Sears...concepts of 40 years ago...vs newer concepts like Eataly or Whole Foods. Lets see if the newer audio dealers are able to capture people's imagination...those who can may even get consumers who dont think they need audio...actually go out and start buying into it. That's what great retail does.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
From 1997-2008, I did all my system building and spending w one store in SE England
At that point I started browsing more online, saw Zus reviewed on 6Moons, and for first time spent away from my main guy
That was the beginning, continued to pick and choose, buying from different places depending on what took my fancy online
But even though I haven't bought from a B&M store for the last 9 years, I'm still spending w businesses that run small lines, but work out of their homes, or factory direct if no UK outlet
Hardly ever am I price comparing w guys in legitimate businesses w expenses v EBay/Audiogon price slashers etc
Eg I could have got my current NATs amps prob a third cheaper online, but I prefer to have a relationship w the UK dealer, which means he offers me mods, tube rolling and 5 Star service that eg Audio Markt could never hope to do
I feel I've struck a reasonable balance
But tbh, I can't ever imagine any single B&M store supporting all the lines that would interest me
Here, the web TRULY has irreversibly changed my shopping habits

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing