“Trained ears”/ABX/Overconfidence/Domain specific blindness

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
No, I’m joking.

Listen to an album that’s been out of rotation. Listen to a new one on Tidal. Buy one from Bandcamp. Make yourself a coffee. Do those kettle bell swings. Swim. Breathe out. Read a book. Pet an animal. Skype your eldest. Kiss your youngest. Open the door from someone. Listen without giving advice to someone else’s problem. Leave the office early. Reach out to a friend you haven’t seen in years. Give to a veteran or a beggar. Go to a gig just for the hell of it. Watch Heat because it’s one of the greatest films of all time*. Take a moment to realise how many people have sacrificed things so you could be where you are right now. Laugh at something stupid. Pull your wife into your arms, look her in the eyes and tell you are so grateful for everything she does.

Whatever you do, may it cause you to live well in this moment. Because this moment is all we have.

Have a great day, everyone.

853guy

*The De Niro/Pacino one, not the Bullock/McCarthy one. Though, shucks, whatever.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Trained ears...really??
As a former pro musician, we had to listen to certain rhythms and needed the ability to recognize pitch and various tunings, but did we really train ourselves to do this?? In some ways yes and in some ways--NO, no...because the 'training' was nothing more than a continuous exposure to the sound that the instrument was supposed to emanate at certain frequencies by either a) playing technique or b) tuning methods---all taught by someone who played the instrument better than we did ( in most cases:rolleyes: ); BUT did we train our ears? IME, most a'philes are never exposed to this kind of repetition with one particular instrument in a 'live' setting. Consequently, the a'philes 'trained ear' is IMHO akin to any person who happens to have a certain 'expectation' of what the real sounds like...and that expectation would seem to vary from expert to expert, LOL.:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Heat sucks too. There is nothing happening in that movie except the pimping of two big names and wasting Val kilmer. Michael Mann is mediocre at his best.

Just to clarify, I am a trained watcher because I took those spot the difference between two pictures tests and got 20 out of 20

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No, I’m joking.

Listen to an album that’s been out of rotation. Listen to a new one on Tidal. Buy one from Bandcamp. Make yourself a coffee. Do those kettle bell swings. Swim. Breathe out. Read a book. Pet an animal. Skype your eldest. Kiss your youngest. Open the door from someone. Listen without giving advice to someone else’s problem. Leave the office early. Reach out to a friend you haven’t seen in years. Give to a veteran or a beggar. Go to a gig just for the hell of it. Watch Heat because it’s one of the greatest films of all time*. Take a moment to realise how many people have sacrificed things so you could be where you are right now. Laugh at something stupid. Pull your wife into your arms, look her in the eyes and tell you are so grateful for everything she does.

Whatever you do, may it cause you to live well in this moment. Because this moment is all we have.

Have a great day, everyone.

853guy

*The De Niro/Pacino one, not the Bullock/McCarthy one. Though, shucks, whatever.

Right on! ?? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...gue-for-guitar&p=433356&viewfull=1#post433356 ?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Heat rules, one of my favourit ls development films.
Much better then reading Vance Dickason s ls design Cook book, the lust to design a ls vanished quickly after looking at all those formulas.
Went on eBay pretty quick.
Listening to music watching Movies should be about fun totally agree with the topicstarter

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andromeda, you are Dutch, yes?
My fave Dutch film of all time (only seen one LOL) and best film directed by Paul Verhoven, is Spetters
Watch it, and feel what it is to be young again

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sure , yes im Dutch.
New kids (Maaskantje) is also quit funny.
Dont Think ive seen Collateral yet, Harry Potter another great series

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And Manhunter
Forget Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence..., pure pantomime act, Brian Cox did him first, best and scariest in Manhunter

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Andromeda, you are Dutch, yes?
My fave Dutch film of all time (only seen one LOL) and best film directed by Paul Verhoven, is Spetters
Watch it, and feel what it is to be young again

Watch his Basic Instinct and Showgirls to feel like a teenager again

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You really are a Multiplex kind of guy Ked

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
You guys are hilarious.

I always thought Starship Troopers was vastly underrated and a pithy satirical critique on modern fascism. And, y'know, it had Denise Richards in it which appealed to my... er, intellect.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I loved how everyone in Troopers was meant to be, what, Brazillian or Argentinian
Hilarious
I kept rooting for those bugs
At least for one of them to impregnate the jiggly Denise

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I always thought Starship Troopers was vastly underrated and a pithy satirical critique on modern fascism. And, y'know, it had Denise Richards in it which appealed to my... er, intellect.
I tried to hate Starship Troopers. It had the makings of a bad movie to be sure. But at the end, it had enough appealing aspects that I liked it. Barely. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
You guys are hilarious.

Lol, you know some consider it a training video... likely the same people who take Steven Colbert (the character) literally.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
... Listen to an album that’s been out of rotation. ...

That's always a revelation, especially if the time gap is tens of years. Personally, I find I can't trust my memory. I may have played the grooves off it back then and think I know it well, which is one of the reasons I haven't played it in years. But invariably I hear so much that I had either forgotten, or remembered incorrectly. I find myself getting quite indignant, I *know* that phrase wasn't there before, I *know" the bridge had a guitar solo in it. But in most cases I'm playing the same LP or CD, so it can't have really changed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing