Arrival, Blade Runner, And Now Dune: Denis Villeneuve Is Taking Over Sci-Fi

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
? Denis Villeneuve Directing Dune

Wow, the young (49-old) French Québecquois from Trois-Rivières, Canada, is on a major cinema roll, ...radical way of saying it. Chapeau Denis!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0898288/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

His filmography is getting better and better since he directed Incendies in 2010. ...Must see if you did not, in my opinion.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0898288/#director

Northstar,

Thank you for posting this....huge DUNE series fan here including the son's/co-author prequels. This will be a challenging undertaking to say the least. It would be amazing if someone could make a multi-movie series starting with the early prequel story lines completely and correctly presented. There is no other way to lay out the themes, history, critical underpinnings of the story without going way back in time. Star Wars and DUNE both tried and they did not succeed at all (IMHO). Did you see the Sci-Fi channels 6-part Dune/Children of Dune presentation some years ago with William Hurt, et. al.? I thought that was at least a better shot at it...

Really looking forward to see how this new DUNE shapes up...thanks again!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Northstar,

Thank you for posting this....huge DUNE series fan here including the son's/co-author prequels. This will be a challenging undertaking to say the least. It would be amazing if someone could make a multi-movie series starting with the early prequel story lines completely and correctly presented. There is no other way to lay out the themes, history, critical underpinnings of the story without going way back in time. Star Wars and DUNE both tried and they did not succeed at all (IMHO). Did you see the Sci-Fi channels 6-part Dune/Children of Dune presentation some years ago with William Hurt, et. al.? I thought that was at least a better shot at it...

Really looking forward to see how this new DUNE shapes up...thanks again!

We watched ARRIVAL last night on Vudu (missed it when it was in theaters); some of THE best sci-fi I believe I've ever seen. Challenging plot-lines, etc....like INCEPTION, I have desire to watch it a couple of more times to retrace all of the subtleties......I cannot wait to see what Villeneuve does with DUNE!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
We watched ARRIVAL last night on Vudu (missed it when it was in theaters); some of THE best sci-fi I believe I've ever seen. Challenging plot-lines, etc....like INCEPTION, I have desire to watch it a couple of more times to retrace all of the subtleties......I cannot wait to see what Villeneuve does with DUNE!

Inception didn't strike as being that great.. Good and imaginative but .. somehow "Matrix-like".... Arrival OTOH is IMO a Masterpiece. The kind of movies that one needs to own. I will get it on 4K-Blu-Ray or whatever when it comes out . I came off the movie humbled it is how much I liked it. Dunes OTOH left me cold, I cannot fully understand wha's all the fuss was about it even after reading the books ... perhaps once "treated" by Villeneuve. His cinematography is impressive... Thanks NS

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I loved the original Dune series books by Frank Herbert when I read them back in the early 70's.

The 1984 movie was, in my opinion, one of the worst movies ever made. I remember being very unhappy after watching the movie in a theater. Such an insult to Herbert's books in my mind. Made me hate Sting forever. :)

I hope Denis Villeneuveope makes a movie worthy of the books. His Arrival movie was outstanding so let's pray he does just as well with Dune.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We're a good bunch; we all like smart sci-fi flicks with an extra edge. :cool: Villeneuve has that edge to deliver; he just have to keep it sharp every day, razor blade sharp.
_____

Bonus:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Well, that was quite interesting. I had no knowledge of Jodorowsky's Dune and that failed effort to make the Dune film.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Inception didn't strike as being that great.. Good and imaginative but .. somehow "Matrix-like".... Arrival OTOH is IMO a Masterpiece. The kind of movies that one needs to own. I will get it on 4K-Blu-Ray or whatever when it comes out . I came off the movie humbled it is how much I liked it. Dunes OTOH left me cold, I cannot fully understand wha's all the fuss was about it even after reading the books ... perhaps once "treated" by Villeneuve. His cinematography is impressive... Thanks NS

I liked Inception and respected the effort for the complexity of the plot lines and how interwoven time was w.r.t. past, current, future and alternative timelines. Arrival has a lot of that and is (I agree) a much better effort overall. The Dune 1984 movie could not possibly have succeeded as it was so typical of 1980s film-making which is in direct opposition to a deep, intricate multi-layered story like Dune. They also fought a losing battle from the get-go as does any Dune movie undertaking as (IMHO) it's impossible to fully appreciate Dune until you've traced all the back forward from the history of the great houses, the Machine Crusade, the Butlerian Jihad, etc, etc...etc..... For a 1st and 2nd installment, the SyFy channel's 6-hour miniseries for Dune and Children of Dune was much better but overall,...the same difficulty will always arise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing