Series 2 Midrange

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Hi Gary, happy new year. I am curious what you are using for midrange in the new series 2 speakers? Did you buy up a bunch of BG drivers or is it a brand new design of your own? I think you had said it was the latter. BG drivers are fine on my G201 for now, but always trying to work through potential failure points. Would these new midrange drivers be a drop-in replacement for the older BG units or would x-over changes be necessary. Thanks in advance.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi there! Happy new year to you too. The last bunch of BG drivers sent to us all failed QC testing - every single @$#!! one of them. We have a brand new design of our own. It has been a long, expensive process, but the film that Gary finally settled on was "musical when crinkled" :D So Gary told me - that when he handled and manipulated the film, it crinkled musically. They sound wonderful! I fancy they are warmer and more musical. They are drop in replacements - but I will point this thread out to Gary so he can respond too.

P.S. I had input on the cosmetic design. ;) The grills "smile" at you.

Reactions: Vin_wang

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
One G201 owner who had to replace his midranges, just sent back the following feedback:

..... after 6 hours last night and a few hours this morning:

This new driver is hands down much better than the BG Radia - perhaps not even close. Great design!!! This driver seems to blend better with the treble and bass. There's so much more information and clarity. Some pieces, such as the one you can see on the TV in the 'after' picture, run too hot - exposing a flaw in the recording in my view. Differences in recordings are much more defined. With a low noise floor, like I had last night and this morning, the sound staging is spectacular. Piano tonality and weight is awesome (I love piano music).

Okay - so that's my extent of pretending I'm a Stereophile/Absolute Sound reviewer. Suffice it to say it's an awesome driver. I would highly recommend it to any Genesis owner with the old BG Radia driver.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
And the cost for us G2 owners for the drop in replacement???? Does the crossover require any modifications as well.. If so, are the modifications a "factory only" upgrade with a special secret sauce for parts identification/values.

MAK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing