Looking For The Perfect Listening Chair

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Some recently posted chair look too wide, like they were made for 400 pound people. I want the arms close enough so my arms can actually rest on the chair arms, not fall in my lap.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Some recently posted chair look too wide, like they were made for 400 pound people. I want the arms close enough so my arms can actually rest on the chair arms, not fall in my lap.

LOL! I know, I don't want to be in too much of a geezer chair even if I am a geezer.

One of the most comfortable seats I ever experienced was oddly enough in my 1990 Infiniti Q45. It was only in that year they had the seat, in the first year of the model. The seats took a lot of flack from the critics, who thought that a luxury car should just have plushy butt coaster. That 1990 seat was a hard "British Saddle Seat" type of very firm, contoured leather.

Yeah, it felt hard when you first sat in it, but it completely disappeared after about two minutes. It is the only car seat I ever had that I could sit in forever driving, and I never felt a twinge of back pain or problem with comfort past that initial two minutes. I haven't even been able to find a picture of one on the internet, since Infiniti caved and provided more cushion in later models of the car. I always wished I could have taken to seat to every car I owned after.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Unfortunately Poltrana Frau is a fancy Italian brand and it is very expensive.
That's true. Mine was 2.500 EUR but a decent interconect can costs just as much.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marcus,

Is your chair adjustable in anyway?

Does it provide good lumbar support for you?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I wondered when we'd get into justifying expensive chairs v expensive audio, and relative vfm

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Marcus,

Is your chair adjustable in anyway?

Does it provide good lumbar support for you?

Unfortunately it's not adjustable in any way but it's very comfortable for serious listening. Lumbar suport is excellent for me and my audio buddies with various weight and body shapes feel good in it. On the other hand I rarely listen to music more than two hours in one session. More comfortable chairs put me in a sleep too soon.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I tried the Willy today at Poltrana Frau. It is beautifully made, but it was not a good fit for me.

The Downtown Managerial with fixed glider feet is now my frontrunner.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I love the Ekornes Stressless lounge chairs, as they are the only lounge chairs I have ever found to be truly comfortable for me. But Mike L has an excellent point about not wanting the ears to be up against the back of the chair.

I have used for many years as an office chair the Humanscale Freedom chair. I find this to be the most comfortable office chair I have ever found. It is not comfy like the Ekornes Stressless lounge chair, but it has a low back so nothing is behind the ears.

View attachment 31841

Does anyone use the Humanscale Freedom chair as a listening chair?
I've been looking for an adjustable listening chair and bought a Humanscale Freedom chair. Depending on the time of day, I can adjust the height. Body is usually taller in the morning hours. :) Thank you for the suggestion.

I ordered a 2nd chair for listening sessions with guests.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well, I have been in the market for some time but I can't seem to find a listening chair to fit my needs yet. Today, I bought an office chair that I can wheel back to the listening position when needed. I really want a footrest though, so this will not end up being the listening chair....but it'll definitely do for the office. Found it and tested it at Sam's Club and for some reason, it fit me and my body perfectly. Very comfortable to me...after probably sitting on 40-50 chairs over the past couple of months. Not too soft, not too hard....just right.

I'll offer my observations once I get some time on it both in the office and in the listening position. La-Z-Boy Item#251535 Model #47429

Tom

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It looks very comfortable. Enjoy it, Tom!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you sir. The issue I am having with most listening chairs is this. I have legs that always seem to end up having a pressure point right above the heels. I want a recliner/listening chair that has a low back, storage in the arms, USB and charging capabilities (I can work mobile in the listening chair), one that is comfortable for extended periods of time, including sleeping on occasion and one that distributes my leg weight proportionally without any pressure point at or toward the heel of my foot.

So far, I'm batting a horrible average. (read 0 for 60)

Tom

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Yeah, it felt hard when you first sat in it, but it completely disappeared after about two minutes.

Ever wonder why dentist's chairs are so comfortable? Sounds similar.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
So far, I'm batting a horrible average. (read 0 for 60)

Tom

Tom,

Ever thought about a "custom made chair"?

Likely quite expensive but given your criteria, could be well worthwhile in the long run.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tom, the Lifeform chair is adjustable in virtually every dimension and parameter. And it is comfy like sitting on marshmallows. It is my second choice.

(My first choice is not as comfy or adjustable as the Lifeform chair, but it is a better aesthetic match for a couch I intend to locate behind the listening chair.)

Kryzyz

Oct 27, 2012
Pasadena CA
The one and truly only listening chair is obviously the Arne Jacobson "egg chair." Perfect in shape dimension texture weight functionality and a stylistic home run. The only thing that could make it a better listening chair is to ensure there's a stereo in front of it.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
So far, sitting in it for most of the day, this chair was made for me and my body. If only it had a leg rest or ottoman. It would be in the listening room in a heartbeat. I feel like I am sitting in heaven. No pressure points whatsoever, completely adjustable to whatever position/parameter I require and I am perfectly comfortable like I haven't been in years. For an office chair? This one is spot on for me.

I'll check it out in the listening position later on tonight or tomorrow. My posterior has never felt so good whilst sitting in a chair for such an extended period. No issues here so far. I feel lucky.

Tom

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
After HT seats and an HM embody I finally ended up with this, quite happy! No cushion behind my ears, the right height and seat depth and it swivels.. 20170516_174408.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing