Looking For The Perfect Listening Chair

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks Steve yep, I got the ottoman off eBay. If they sold a matching ottoman I would've got it but they didn't. I covered the table with a sheet of cork cut to the exact size of the table. Very comfortable.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
These silly things! Being 6'3' I fight the chair battle everyday. I stumbled on these at a High End Hi-Fi shop in So Cal. I sat in them for a whole day and for me, it was perfect. When I asked where they got them and how much they are, I got "$150.00 at Ikea"
They are multi configurable in wood tone and cushions, the bonus they are affordable. Go to the glue impregnated sawdust store and try them for your self, if they fit then great, if not find something else.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29829136/

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Avenue six Nova arm chair. It was inexpensive yet the quality isn't bad.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello everybody. Just chiming in to say that after an exhaustive search finding a listening chair that was made for me and my body, I have finally found the chair for me. I was in the market for a chair that had a low back, was comfortable and had a recliner for those longer listening sessions. The prices of the chairs I looked at ranged from $600 to over 3K. The issue I kept having was two fold. Either the chair was simply uncomfortable, too wide or (most common) when you put the leg rest in the up position, there was a pressure point that dug into one part of your heel, subcalcaneal tendon or your calcaneal tendon. This is the main issue I have with my current listening chair.

I went through hundreds of chairs that some or all all of these issues were present and after a time, I stopped looking at cost. I just concentrated on fit.

Well, today I stumbled across a chair that was right up my alley. The leg rest on this one supports the lower leg very comfortably over a span of about a foot and with plenty of cushion to help distribute the weight. Simply put, it was heavenly to lift up the legs and have this chair support them. No pressure points whatsover and you didn't have to readjust your body toward the front or back of the chair to experience this. I tested it out about 15 times and all 15 times I sat down, whether I was forward, tucked way back, off to one side, angled....whatever, it was extremely comfortable each time.

The back is lower than the ears but only by about 4-6 inches and increases when the back goes further back into the reclining position. It is powered and the button is off to the right of the chair in a natural location. In other words, you didn't have to run your hand all over the side of the chair to find it. It's located right where one would expect it to be. Now I will admit, it not the sharpest looking chair out there that I ran across (I do like the looks of the more modern chairs) but I didn't purchase it for looks, I purchased it solely on fit, how comfortable it was and function. Here she is...

It's a Lane "Eureka" power recliner and the color escapes me at the moment. The power function is whisper quiet and I detected no noise at all when reclining while in the store. This may change at home in a quieter atmosphere but it is quiet enough to where I do not think this will be a problem. Finally, after an untold amount of stores, boutiques, consignment stores, high end stores (you name it, I was there) in 3 different states and after sitting in well over 200 chairs, I have found the one for me.

The only thing I wish this chair had was storage in the arms, some outlets within the storage chamber, USB ports and a cup holder. The problem I ran into with all of the chairs that had this was that they were mostly cloth (no go for me) and they were completely uncomfortable or seemingly built for a seven foot tall man that weighed close to 500 lbs. One chair I sat in I swear was close to 3' wide in between the armrests. I had to fall over to one side just to reach the armrest. That made no sense at all and to boot, it was as comfortable as sitting on concrete and the cushion was about 6" too long. Whatever.

My search is over and now I can actually listen in a chair that is fit for me and my body. FYI, cost was not that bad. About 750 with tax.

Tom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! It looks very comfy!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thanks Ron!

I just now set it up in the listening position and the strangest thing happened as soon as I started playing the same track from the Yellowjackets "Best of" album from last night. The acoustics to what hits the ears have changed. Nothing dramatic but still, a change none the less and clearly (to me) noticeable. Kind of curious as to why this would happen with just a change in a chair but to me, is definitely interesting. Also was pleasantly surprised to hear just a faint hint of the motor when reclining and the stereo turned off. Was even more pleasantly surprised when I found out that this chair is a combination rocker/recliner. I guess I never noticed it was a rocker due to the fact that it was squeezed in to a row of chairs so tight that a gnat would have a hard time getting through the space between the rows of chairs.

It is extremely comfortable (to me).

Tom

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
mine (although that's not my room....don't have any pics here at work).

the Cassina K10 DoDo. the headrest folds back, the footrest folds down, and it swivels. not cheap.

View attachment 31845

Thor by Percival Lafer , very similar to your Cassina( beautiful btw) in concept, the footrest swing up.
I have one in olive green alcantara, very comfortable and convenient to find a sweet spot, it's a swivel armchair.
Not cheap either.
I bought mine in France but it' s also available on US market.
http://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=950&idcategory=30

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
what make is the chair

Just my two cents but when I used to listen with HP we sat on beach chairs.
That's right half a million dollars of gear in a Victorian House with my mentor and we sat on 15 dollar chairs LMAO.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!
By the way Priaptor and I did a lot of research on this and were going to produce a listening chair. When we were finished and had it designed we felt no one would pay over 3000 for it and it could not be produced in large enough quantities to bring the price down...
NO HIGH BACKS!!!!!!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
beach chairs?!?!?

Wasn't that totally uncomfortable? I would never have been able to relax and enjoy the music.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
These silly things! Being 6'3' I fight the chair battle everyday. I stumbled on these at a High End Hi-Fi shop in So Cal. I sat in them for a whole day and for me, it was perfect. When I asked where they got them and how much they are, I got "$150.00 at Ikea"
They are multi configurable in wood tone and cushions, the bonus they are affordable. Go to the glue impregnated sawdust store and try them for your self, if they fit then great, if not find something else.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29829136/

Here in France it s a bit more expensive , nearly 250 euros with delivery.
In our multi function 70 sqm living room is a good solution

Attachments

• 169D8364-A907-4388-9174-01FD66ED99ED.jpg
    169D8364-A907-4388-9174-01FD66ED99ED.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 155

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These silly things! Being 6'3' I fight the chair battle everyday. I stumbled on these at a High End Hi-Fi shop in So Cal. I sat in them for a whole day and for me, it was perfect. . . .

Geez! You make it sound like being 6'3" is a bad thing. :D

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone use a Lifeform chair for his listening chair?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think the most popular chair for listening in the world is the Poang. That might tell you something about why you may not find anyone using a Lifeform chair.

If you love sitting in it, Ron, go with it.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Where is the thick, cushy, comfy seat cushion on that thing?

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Not sure, but I have yet to find a Poang chair that isn’t extremely comfortable.
I beg to differ, I have a Poang and although it seemed comfortable at the shop I find it uncomfortable to sit in for longer than half an hour, granted I´m 6ft 5 and 250lbs and also have a bad back which doesn´t help my case, but having sat on Stressless / Ekornes recliners the difference is night and day (for me). In my case and since I also listen to headphones I would want something with head support so I could sit back and relax, wallet permitting I would purchase a Stressless Magic recliner in a heartbeat although I´m also curious about the Svago Zero Gravity Recliner.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I beg to differ, I have a Poang and although it seemed comfortable at the shop I find it uncomfortable to sit in for longer than half an hour, granted I´m 6ft 5 and 250lbs and also have a bad back which doesn´t help my case, but having sat on Stressless / Ekornes recliners the difference is night and day (for me). In my case and since I also listen to headphones I would want something with head support so I could sit back and relax, wallet permitting I would purchase a Stressless Magic recliner in a heartbeat although I´m also curious about the Svago Zero Gravity Recliner.

We're just built different. I'm not short or small but I find Ekornes chairs require more effort to sit in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing