Report: Shun Mook vs Harmonix Clamp, XV-1s/Lyra Connoisseur vs AN IO-J/Tron GT Ultimate

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Ked, this really is "goodbye" between us, not "au revoir"?
Wow, the SECOND time we've been in complete agreement

108CY

May 4, 2013
Now now...I know of only one person in the world who has all that gear :)

Really Kedar I am not sure I know who you mean :)

Last edited:

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Perhaps I ought to come in on this thread as it was prompted by Ked's visit to my place. I am naturally sceptical about claims made for Hi Fi accessories; having had more than my fair share of them in my life. Including the 'Belt paper clips'! I have had the Shun Mook clamp for a number of years and with the Verdier it works extremely well. And that is the point. It works with the Verdier. Whatever you put under or on a turntable will have an impact on the resonant frequency/s of the system; not always audible. The Verdier has two 'springs', the magnets and the feet(spring and a rubber diaphragm ) both of which will oscillate and have a resonant frequency/s as will the platter, mat and feet and support. There is a debate amongst Verdier owners about the virtues or otherwise of defeating the suspension of the TT by inserting blocks under the plinth. I did this using oak blocks and A.R.T graphite blocks with brass inserts. There was an improvement in clarity and focus as well as depth. I did borrow a set of Shun Mook large resonators and and the result was congestion in the upper middle and lack of focus. So that did not work.I subsequently had a set of ebony feet made with aluminium inserts that replaced the original feet. Great, back to what i had with the oak blocks and with the added plus of being able to level the TT with the original adjustment bolts.

Now, when Ked was here I changed the shun Mook for the Harmonix clamp and the difference was audible. I could have changed the platter mat from the sundeck mat to a carbon/graphite or the original Verdier 'lead' mat and there would have been varying audible differences. This is the point; that by altering the audible resonant frequency of the the system you can tune it to what satisfies you. The Shun Mook clamp is no better or worse than the Dalby clamp. and vice versa. It will depend on the system it is used in.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Perhaps I ought to come in on this thread as it was prompted by Ked's visit to my place. I am naturally sceptical about claims made for Hi Fi accessories; having had more than my fair share of them in my life. Including the 'Belt paper clips'! I have had the Shun Mook clamp for a number of years and with the Verdier it works extremely well. And that is the point. It works with the Verdier. Whatever you put under or on a turntable will have an impact on the resonant frequency/s of the system; not always audible. The Verdier has two 'springs', the magnets and the feet(spring and a rubber diaphragm ) both of which will oscillate and have a resonant frequency/s as will the platter, mat and feet and support. There is a debate amongst Verdier owners about the virtues or otherwise of defeating the suspension of the TT by inserting blocks under the plinth. I did this using oak blocks and A.R.T graphite blocks with brass inserts. There was an improvement in clarity and focus as well as depth. I did borrow a set of Shun Mook large resonators and and the result was congestion in the upper middle and lack of focus. So that did not work.I subsequently had a set of ebony feet made with aluminium inserts that replaced the original feet. Great, back to what i had with the oak blocks and with the added plus of being able to level the TT with the original adjustment bolts.

Now, when Ked was here I changed the shun Mook for the Harmonix clamp and the difference was audible. I could have changed the platter mat from the sundeck mat to a carbon/graphite or the original Verdier 'lead' mat and there would have been varying audible differences. This is the point; that by altering the audible resonant frequency of the the system you can tune it to what satisfies you. The Shun Mook clamp is no better or worse than the Dalby clamp. and vice versa. It will depend on the system it is used in.

Very true peter all comes down to system hence why I like having a few clamps around at the end of the day its all just a bit of fun :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing