Report: Shun Mook vs Harmonix Clamp, XV-1s/Lyra Connoisseur vs AN IO-J/Tron GT Ultimate

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah Ked, Indeed thank you for the brief concise report --brought back some memories for Moi:eek:--I 've owned Jadis /Vendettas/ Cello /Sound Labs/ Dynavectors/Valhalla Cables/Harmonix/Shun Mook

--I still have the SM Record Clamp--I too sold the Harmonix version.

The naysayers will decry the Mook principle but hey its free speech and choice --so be it -we gotta learn to take it on the chin!;)

Incidentally between you and me I replaced my Stillpoints with SM Feet--the music is back!:b

I'll adjust my Helmet and dig in!:cool:

Oh yes K keep up the good work

BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good luck w yr Mooks journey
I was planning to sell a kidney to fund future purchases of them
But they've got deprioritized in my new space, and I've cancelled surgery!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good luck w yr Mooks journey
I was planning to sell a kidney to fund future purchases of them
But they've got deprioritized in my new space, and I've cancelled surgery!

I know, try surgery of ear

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, I hear you loud and clear Ked, no problems there
I gotta comend you for trying to develop a sense of humour
Keep trying

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh, I hear you loud and clear Ked, no problems there
I gotta comend you for trying to develop a sense of humour
Keep trying

Also, please try to comment on components you have heard. Your comment here is irrelevant since you have no experience with either clamp

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's v true

thekong

May 10, 2012
Actually, why argue over such tweaks? By its very nature, it is system and user dependent!

Now, I am not someone who insists on having measurements as prove, and I can clearly hear the effect of these tweaks. However, whether the changes are positive or negative really depend on the user’s system and, more importantly, his preference.

When it comes to Shun Mook, even their website claims their products introduce “Sympathetic Resonance” into the audio system. If this is really how it works, then clearly this resonance is not part of the original recording, or the audio system, but something added on to alter the sound.

At face value, adding resonance (distortion?) is probably not the way to go in a hi-fidelity system. But then, since all systems are not perfect, if the addition of these tweaks make the user happy, then good for him!

Personally, I would rely more on isolation device, like the Herzan and Vibraplane etc., which aim to minimize the vibrations transferred to the equipment.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
"Sympathetic resonance" sounds fishy. What say the Mook lovers about this?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
"Sympathetic resonance" sounds fishy. What say the Mook lovers about this?

Hi no idea. People who own both mooks and vibraplane prefer latter under TT add mooks under other components.

To Thekong: the argument with spirit wasn't to do with tweaks, just history of his review commenting style and we have a history.

I agree with you that Mooks add a sound, they don't take it away like active components are supposed to. But the sound they add makes things organic. I also appreciate that different TT set ups will react differently, but so far feedback on non-suspended tables seems to favor the mook clamp only beaten by the Dalby. I have no experience with the latter yet.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great, the most important point is you like it! :)

I like it more than Harmonix. I have liked a lot of TTs without it, and may like the Dalby more than it. The resonators though, are just phenomenal and have tried them in like 20 plus set ups. Again, Dalby might be better

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I like it more than Harmonix. I have liked a lot of TTs without it, and may like the Dalby more than it. The resonators though, are just phenomenal and have tried them in like 20 plus set ups. Again, Dalby might be better

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I'd hazard a guess they all ad something to the mix

Some just don't like admitting it--:eek:

Horses for courses--I like my Mooks and Harmonix Feet under the speakers--:)

How boring these stoushes would be if we all were married to the same idiom--ha!;)

BruceD

108CY

May 4, 2013
I personally own three Dalby Stabalisers one is the 8 chamber lignam vitae, the second is the ebony constellation unit which is extremely different as the two surfaces of the ebony and brass are isolated from each other. I also have the constellation with lignam vitae the constellation units are different as they have a unique pattern on the base. All three are so different it drives me totally crazy I find myself changing between them.

The standard 8 chamber sounds to my ears always very warm and full sounding extremely natural but in some instances a bit much but a lovely device depending on what you are playing and the turntable can be stunning, the midrange has a certain richness and texture that can be stunning, likes slightly brutal sounding turntables seems to calm them down. The ebony constellation is extremely fast and dynamic works really well on the goldmund reference type of turntable does not seem to like the tech das turntables again does not work on the Kodo beat it is a clean mating clears up any greyness to the sound. The bass on this clamp is very fast and dynamic almost lightning. The Lignam vitae constellation is almost in the middle is is warmer than the ebony much more powerful sounding than the ebony the bass is deeper seems to work nicely on the walker and the da vinci not as clean as the ebony and maybe not as full as the 8 chamber. I did have a chrome ebony constellation which was different again from the gold one don't ask me why most certainly I should be locked up.

I have all the harmonix clamps and the shunmook in some instances i use them depending on turntables better is subjective most certainly hence why I have them all the shunmook has a lovely flow to it for me I overall favour the dally units. I also have two lets of the large feet one ons a set of three and one as a set of four. Hope this is of some help

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I personally own three Dalby Stabalisers one is the 8 chamber lignam vitae, the second is the ebony constellation unit which is extremely different as the two sufacesof the ebony and brass are isolated from each other. I also have the constellation with lignam vitae the constellation units are different as they have a unique pattern on the base. All three are so different it drives me totally potty I find myself changing between them.

The standard 8 chamber sounds to my ears always very warm and full sounding extremely natural but in some instances a bit much but a lovely device depending on what you are playing and the turntable can be stunning, the midrange has a certain richness and texture that can be stunning likes slightly brutal sounding turntables seems to calm them down. The ebony constellation is extremely fast and dynamic works really well on the goldmund reference type of turntable does not seem to like the tech das turntables again does not work on the Kodo beat it is a clean mating clears up any greyness to the sound. The bass on this clamp is very fast and dynamic almost lightning. The Lignam vitae constellation is almost in the middle is is warmer than the ebony much more powerful sounding than the ebony the bass is deeper seems to work nicely on the walker and the da vinci not as clean as the ebony and maybe not as full as the 8 chamber. I did have a chrome ebony constellation which was different again from the gold one don't ask me why most certainly should be locked up.

I have all the harmonix clamps and the shunmook in some instances i use them depending on turntables better is subjective most certainly hence why I have them all the shunmook has a lovely flow to it for me I overall favour the dally units. I also have two lets of the large feet one ons a set of three and one as a set of four. Hope this is of some help

Now now...I know of only one person in the world who has all that gear :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked is right, we have a history
Online communication I'm afraid is a facet of modern life that doesn't help, face to face is much friendlier
Maybe we can at least agree on that, Ked?
I'll stick up for my "review commenting style"
I had no criticism from Ked when I extolled the virtues of Mooks under my cdp back in London
Yes, he factually said Giants weren't best choice under my cdp, Ultras better, but when he heard the impvt they made (Ked was in my apartment when we installed them), we agreed to just go w the ride
When I moved them under my 18"x20" 165lb transformer, the effects were just as dramatically good
Ked, even you must agree Giants suited for this size of gear
I didn't get admonished for commenting style then, Ked was happy for me to be onboard
Maybe the only time we've both been on the same page
Others like Ron Resnick and Audiophile Bill will confirm Mooks never far from my discussions on how to further improve my system

So, when I find in my new room they are detrimental, firstly it really dislocated everything I considered positive about them, and then realised they truly are a tuning device, in the right room (my old flat, Ked's pad etc), they optimise the sound
In other rooms, like my current one, which has a neutral acoustic, or other factors, the tuning is a detriment
I don't class this a criticism, just they are revealed for what they truly do, which I have no issue with
Surely it is perfectly reasonable to bring this to light?
I'll leave it to others if they want to agree or disagree re my review commenting style

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked is right, we have a history
Online communication I'm afraid is a facet of modern life that doesn't help, face to face is much friendlier
Maybe we can at least agree on that, Ked?
I'll stick up for my "review commenting style"
I had no criticism from Ked when I extolled the virtues of Mooks under my cdp back in London
Yes, he factually said Giants weren't best choice under my cdp, Ultras better, but when he heard the impvt they made (Ked was in my apartment when we installed them), we agreed to just go w the ride
When I moved them under my 18"x20" 165lb transformer, the effects were just as dramatically good
Ked, even you must agree Giants suited for this size of gear
I didn't get admonished for commenting style then, Ked was happy for me to be onboard
Maybe the only time we've both been on the same page
Others like Ron Resnick and Audiophile Bill will confirm Mooks never far from my discussions on how to further improve my system

So, when I find in my new room they are detrimental, firstly it really dislocated everything I considered positive about them, and then realised they truly are a tuning device, in the right room (my old flat, Ked's pad etc), they optimise the sound
In other rooms, like my current one, which has a neutral acoustic, or other factors, the tuning is a detriment
I don't class this a criticism, just they are revealed for what they truly do, which I have no issue with
Surely it is perfectly reasonable to bring this to light?
I'll leave it to others if they want to agree or disagree re my review commenting style

I disagree with you commenting on things you have no experience on, like the clamp, your tendency not to actually compare things yet comment profusely...Let's keep others out of it since they know only half the story and I am not really interested in dragging the others into it. You are welcome to comment on what you have compared. As for "others", I have no wish to continue such exchanges with Spirit further.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I personally own three Dalby Stabalisers one is the 8 chamber lignam vitae, the second is the ebony constellation unit which is extremely different as the two sufacesof the ebony and brass are isolated from each other. I also have the constellation with lignam vitae the constellation units are different as they have a unique pattern on the base. All three are so different it drives me totally potty I find myself changing between them.

The standard 8 chamber sounds to my ears always very warm and full sounding extremely natural but in some instances a bit much but a lovely device depending on what you are playing and the turntable can be stunning, the midrange has a certain richness and texture that can be stunning likes slightly brutal sounding turntables seems to calm them down. The ebony constellation is extremely fast and dynamic works really well on the goldmund reference type of turntable does not seem to like the tech das turntables again does not work on the Kodo beat it is a clean mating clears up any greyness to the sound. The bass on this clamp is very fast and dynamic almost lightning. The Lignam vitae constellation is almost in the middle is is warmer than the ebony much more powerful sounding than the ebony the bass is deeper seems to work nicely on the walker and the da vinci not as clean as the ebony and maybe not as full as the 8 chamber. I did have a chrome ebony constellation which was different again from the gold one don't ask me why most certainly should be locked up.

I think the other thread you might be able to add value on is the isolation under turntables http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...olution-Systems-VXR-Stand&p=434215#post434215

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing