The best turntables on the market

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
So you really want to know what are the best turntables on the market, right? And you're thinking, Goldmund Reference, Thorens Reference, American Sound, Wave Kinetics, Clear Audio Statement, Continuum Caliburn, TechDas AF1, right?

Wrong.

The world's best turntable is plainly identified in the following article.

http://bestreviews.com/best-turntables

Sorry, couldn't resist......

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Fake News & Alternate Facts!:)

So you really want to know what are the best turntables on the market, right? And you're thinking, Goldmund Reference, Thorens Reference, American Sound, Wave Kinetics, Clear Audio Statement, Continuum Caliburn, TechDas AF1, right?

Wrong.

The world's best turntable is plainly identified in the following article.

http://bestreviews.com/best-turntables

Sorry, couldn't resist......

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Love the expert's command of gibberish latin:

EXPERT CONSULTANT
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate …

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Good to know, you just saved me a bundle!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Best for 13 year olds :D

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Young people seem to believe in education from magazines (or equivalent). Everyone thinks they're an expert after reading some articles.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My first TT which I bought as a freshman in college in 1963 was an AR TT. IIRC, it was $67 plus about $15 for a Shure cartridge. That is more than their best buy Jensen for $50 in 2016. And the Jensen includes speakers! Adjusted for inflation, my original TT would be eight times as expensive today - $650.

Larry

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Those are alt turntables.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Here is the good news. This may accidentally drag more young people into high end audio and specifically vinyl. How bad is that??

I started with a very minimal system in college (speakers that were attached to an amp/turntable combination that I could separate if I chose to) and in the last 739 years since I graduated have greatly assisted the high end audio economy.

Everyone has gotta start someplace !

caesar

May 30, 2010
Outside of our bubble, it is a very nice list. With so many getting into vinyl, any of these would probably a huge improvement to what the masses are listening to...

Furthermore, I really like the table layout comparing the contenders. For those interested in high end, talk to one guy, and TechDas, another guy say Kronos, another believes it's Acoustic Signature, Continuum, Basis, Walker, etc...

Yet, sadly, for those looking to make a decision, it all seems like selecting a top notch turntable is a faith-based initiative... Those fans with the loudest / most eloquent voice win the most sales for their favorite brand. I really wish there was a table to compare the tradeoffs of the top contenders in the simple way the author has it laid out here.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here is the good news. This may accidentally drag more young people into high end audio and specifically vinyl. How bad is that??

Everyone has gotta start someplace !
This!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, believe it or not, a lot of people are already buying records and listening vinyl. They are just listening on it on horrible turntables, and the records they have get damaged by their equipment. I know that a $300 turntable is a child's toy for most serious vinyl lovers here, but anything on this list is actually a very, very nice upgrade for most people who listen to records outside of our "dinosaur sanctuary".

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Gentlemen, believe it or not, a lot of people are already buying records and listening vinyl. They are just listening on it on horrible turntables, and the records they have get damaged by their equipment. I know that a $300 turntable is a child's toy for most serious vinyl lovers here, but anything on this list is actually a very, very nice upgrade for most people who listen to records outside of our "dinosaur sanctuary".
There's no need for name calling, we know what we are! :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm with caesar. The one huge problem I have is that they don't appreciate the ephemeral nature, and they're trashing the **** out of a treasure we're blessed to have and can never exist the same again. The more they spend, the more they may care. And that list does accomplish a better sense of the state of vinyl. But, again, I do stick by the magazine edmucated state of people today that makes them see the world in a narrow way. Perhaps not putting a $80k turntable in the mix is more encouraging, but I'd like to at least see a VPI Scout.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing