New speakers in the $10K-$20K range

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Looking for a new set of speakers.

Would appreciate your recommendations/suggestions for a full range or a stand mount/sub combo.

Thanks,

Dan

Listening room is 12' x 18' x 8'

Last edited:

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Looking for a new set of speakers.

Would appreciate you recommendations/suggestions for a full range or a stand mount/sub combo.

Thanks,

Dan

Listening room is 12' x 18' x 8'

A pair of Rockport or Vivid two-way monitors plus a pair of JL Audio f110 subwoofers. With a slight discount, both of these should be doable within your price range. Work to make the sub/sat integration as linear as possible, and you'll end up with close to SOTA sound. A less-expensive alternative would be Paradigm S2 monitors and the subs.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would add to the Vivid recommendation to consider one from the Avalon line or the top of the line WLM w/matching sub.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Daedalus Ulysses (http://www.daedalusaudio.com/design notes1.html) which are at the lower end of your price range. You can use the rest to buy LPs and CDs

I use them in a similar sized room and they are terrific with great dynamic range and frequency extension. They are also very efficient, giving you a lot of flexibility with amplification. I driven them to reasonable listening levels with a 1W 45 SET amp. The handmade woodworking is beautiful and the proprietor, Lou Hinkley, is a delight to work with.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Stereo or home theater?

There are lots of choices either way... What sort of listening do you enjoy, and what sort of sound are you looking for?

Stereo only, I have no interest in home theater.

I listen to Jazz, Classical and Blues.

I'd like to get effortless/dynamic sound.

Don't want:
MDF boxes
Cabinets made in China
Speakers with Iceamps
Drivers with copper phase plugs
Bi/tri wire binding posts

Last edited:

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Stereo only, I have no interest in home theater.

I listen to Jazz, Classical and Blues.

I'd like to get effortless/dynamic sound.

I recently listened to the Joseph Audio Pulsar's at RMAF with this type of music and left the room slack jawed. Absolutely stunning dynamics and deep bass that kept everyone who heard them looking for the subwoofer in the room (there was none to be found). At $7K they are below the low end of your price range, leaving many sheckels to spend on music and ancillary.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Are you looking to move to conventional passive? If not, give Mark a call. You'll find his number at his website. His speakers have dynamics in spades.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Are you looking to move to conventional passive? If not, give Mark a call. You'll find his number at his website. His speakers have dynamics in spades.

I'm looking for better SQ.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll bet the Seatons would be great in an HT system, but I'll pass on the MDF boxes, ICEpower based amplifiers, and SMPS power supplies.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
You may wish to consider the Nola Viper Reference Series III or the Nola Metro Grand Reference. I have heard the Nola Viper Reference Series III (own the Viper IIA for my surround speakers) and the Nola Baby Grand speakers. The Viper Reference Series III is an improved version of the Series II. The Nola Metro Grand Reference are supposed to sound much like the Nola Baby Grands but are on a smaller scale.

Also, if you are considering horns, you may wish to consider the Oswalds Mill Audio Mini Horns at $12,000 a pair.

Rich

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think you already know what you want. Just look at your avatar. :)

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I think you already know what you want. Just look at your avatar. :)

Been listening to my Budge Khorus speakers with Focal TC 120 tweeters since 1995, long before Wilson started using them.

The Wilsons Sophia 3s are on my short list, along with the GMA Calypso HDs and Salk Bamboo SoundScape 12s, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask the members of this esteem forum for suggestions.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I could sense you were leaning towards the Wilsons, given your recent posts but I'm wondering why there aren't any Focal/JMlabs on your shortlist. Then again, the Skala is not within the budget range you prescribed. Their pro monitor lines are also very well received.

I've yet to hear any Green Mountains or Salks but their owners seem a very contented bunch.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Best I've found are Zu Definition 2s in your price range at 10k. And they do not have mdf cabinets, are not made in china, etc. They do have an active bass array though.

I've owned Sophias before fyi. Magico v3 is my next fav speaker---but lists at 27k and a Q3 is probably going to replace it some day.

Cheers,

Keith

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Been listening to my Budge Khorus speakers with Focal TC 120 tweeters since

That tweeter has got to be close to two decades old.

Something like the Vivid tweeter is crazy advanced. Amazing that they can get extension to over 40kHz with no break-up using aluminum. The shape is the key.

You can defintely improve SQ big time over what you have.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Been listening to my Budge Khorus speakers . . .

You really, really need to read this thread, most notably the exchange between John Atkinson and our publisher, Doug Schneider. It will be fascinating for those interested in the back story of this speaker and some of things that went on. And although it won't be comforting to a present owner of the product, you could use it to inform you in the future about how measurements, in particular, should be used by the consumer.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/30/301228.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing