High end Munich 2017

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No I was standing

Yeah, not ideal because the horns are somewhat directional and there was significantly different midrange energy standing vs. sitting. I moved around in the room a lot :).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
As you say - most speakers per se look really horrible. But some manage to look interesting depending on room decoration.

IMHO it is mostly a matter of integrating the room style. And yes, XLF's do not look nice, but sound great!

Say what you want about Wilson - but having the wife choose color sells a lot of speakers in Los Angeles. I think YG speakers have great aesthetics.

But speakers like those Blumenhofers at Munich are really challenged for most decors. I know some people think "its only about the sound", but I disagree at these 50k-100k prices.

I'll also say I don't like Avantgarde in teal ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Say what you want about Wilson - but having the wife choose color sells a lot of speakers in Los Angeles. I think YG speakers have great aesthetics.

But speakers like those Blumenhofers at Munich are really challenged for most decors. I know some people think "its only about the sound", but I disagree at these 50k-100k prices.

I'll also say I don't like Avantgarde in teal ;)

I was only addressing my Mocha Black XLF. Smaller Wilson's - up to the Sasha - in color look great and integrate perfectly in many decors. A good friend of mine got my old Wilson /Puppy 7 Ferrari Red and can not change speakers anymore as his wife loves them and considers they are now part of the room decoration. My current main problem with Wilson speakers aspect is the stainless steel speaker screws - they should be black to disappear!

When listening I like a speaker that does not invade my listening space, or at less does not call attention on it. Surely it was not the case of the great looking red speakers. :) Soundlab A1's in black are so uniform and boring that you manage to forget about them!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Blumenhoffer had me liking it on Friday and hating it on Sunday. What a paradox! Just goes to show.

Aries Symphonia was poor. Worse sound than some cheap monitors IMHO.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Aries Symphonia was poor. Worse sound than some cheap monitors IMHO.

Thank you for this! I laughed so hard I think I pee'd a little :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I was only addressing my Mocha Black XLF. Smaller Wilson's - up to the Sasha - in color look great and integrate perfectly in many decors. A good friend of mine got my old Wilson /Puppy 7 Ferrari Red and can not change speakers anymore as his wife loves them and considers they are now part of the room decoration. My current main problem with Wilson speakers aspect is the stainless steel speaker screws - they should be black to disappear!

When listening I like a speaker that does not invade my listening space, or at less does not call attention on it. Surely it was not the case of the great looking red speakers. :) Soundlab A1's in black are so uniform and boring that you manage to forget about them!

proper speakers should be 'mountains in the mist' of dim lighting. ominous and foreboding all powerful entities spewing musical wonderfulness.

who cares how they look in the light?

as I am listening, I am not really aware of the 7 foot tall/3000 pounds of speaker towers standing 8 feet from me.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
proper speakers should be 'mountains in the mist' of dim lighting. ominous and foreboding all powerful entities spewing musical wonderfulness.

who cares how they look in the light?

Without the luxury of a dedicated listening room many wifes actually care ... I was actually lucky that my wife accepted the Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) who cares how they look in the light?

Me! :D

Otherwise I would have removed the cloth of Soundlab's. But the naked skeleton looks really poor.

The SME listening room had an acoustical transparent hiding the speakers. It was reported to be undetectable by ear or measurements. Unfortunately I never managed to get such cloth.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Without the luxury of a dedicated listening room many wifes actually care ... I was actually lucky that my wife accepted the Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers

Hi Audiocrack,

I agree.

When it's my money, and my stuff, I get to choose. When it's our money, and our stuff, and especially, taking up space in our living room, we decide.

Best,

853guy

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Audiocrack,

I agree.

When it's my money, and my stuff, I get to choose. When it's our money, and our stuff, and especially, taking up space in our living room, we decide.

Best,

853guy

Exactly. Hope you were as lucky as me!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

my comments were intended to be in good humor with all the talk about looks. I should have added a smiley face.

when I had my windows uncovered/unplugged I had natural light when I could and enjoyed the view. now mostly dim lighting. it sounds better, but I do miss the look and the view sometimes. and if I had your beautiful classic room I'd want to enjoy it too.

my wife still misses my Kharma Exquisite speakers when I had my room in a den of my previous home. life is about trade-offs always to some degree.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
my comments were intended to be in good humor with all the talk about looks. I should have added a smiley face.

when I had my windows uncovered/unplugged I had natural light when I could and enjoyed the view. now mostly dim lighting. it sounds better, but I do miss the look and the view sometimes. and if I had your beautiful classic room I'd want to enjoy it too.

my wife still misses my Kharma Exquisite speakers when I had my room in a den of my previous home. life is about trade-offs always to some degree.

I actually tried to insert smileys in my reaction but somehow only managed to get question marks in place when using my ipad ... so I removed those ... so we are on the same page

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Jazzhead and I stepped into it briefly on Saturday. We did not really take to the sound, and I thought it was unfair to judge anything in that room given the small size. It did not help that they were playing Telegraph Road then on digital, which is a 14:15 min song and I was not willing to wait that out. I was pretty interested in that Vyger. My main objective at the show was analog. The only two digital rooms I did IIRC were Odeon and Audio Exklusiv.

Hello Ked
Were you that tall guy with the Rimsky-Korsakov lp standing on the door? I remember you and actually thought that mifht be you. It is a real pitty you did not introduce yourself. I remember talking on the phone couple of times so i would be very happy meeting you.
The room was packed with more people that could fit that is why even i was almost pushed out of the room then. Somebody specifically asked for that track and it was in the Vyger tt.
You should of really passed by again. We never denied private auditions to anyone.

I just want to thank all people dropping by our room, and for comments, positive or negative. Even comments from trolls cannot subtract from our feelings of humbleness and satisfaction, seeing a number of people brought to tears in that room. It is really something to hold on to.

Hope to meet soon.
Cheers
Stavros

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Even comments from trolls cannot subtract from our feelings of humbleness and satisfaction, seeing a number of people brought to tears in that room. It is really something to hold on to.

Hi Stavros, I wasn't brought to tears :p, but yours was one of my favourite rooms at the show. Hopefully I'll get a chance to own some of your gear in the future.

Cheers, Mani.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Ked
Were you that tall guy with the Rimsky-Korsakov lp standing on the door? I remember you and actually thought that mifht be you. It is a real pitty you did not introduce yourself. I remember talking on the phone couple of times so i would be very happy meeting you.
The room was packed with more people that could fit that is why even i was almost pushed out of the room then. Somebody specifically asked for that track and it was in the Vyger tt.
You should of really passed by again. We never denied private auditions to anyone.

I just want to thank all people dropping by our room, and for comments, positive or negative. Even comments from trolls cannot subtract from our feelings of humbleness and satisfaction, seeing a number of people brought to tears in that room. It is really something to hold on to.

Hope to meet soon.
Cheers
Stavros

Hi yes, I was going to chat, but I saw the crowd, and thought it would be tough. Especially as Brad mentioned, if it was the sweet spot, it would have been tough to get in there and unfair to whoever was there at the moment.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Tune Audio / Trafomatic as per earlier in thread, this time with a video. Refer to earlier for SQ comments.

The video makes the pics redundant, really, so watch it plugged into yer hi-fi system. You'll pick more up about SQ than I can say. But obviously nowt like being there.

Seriously, and I mean quite seriously like that TT lookswise.

https://kxiybq-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4mYEyylk-CMpkK0mKisXRsqBeMSzTV20nIVwGVDZni7_nOBymGhW9S2DdVf d0tFhQLcX8hSGqF8OGOGq70nllaOQNKAI90Onm75XvNkT7qN4O PdaZok2k6N3cv-DaHdOJiDksIkIMiP7MLzODlkVpdqGaQ0o-3MGghIXGH9EWaasqDQa3Rj6Fzh2lHcL8hWW9kCj9HPjm4ODOAr MsEOCSObw?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://kxjhpw-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4mkeeQUqd6rcMkN21d2gQqpZFATC2YTgK7i3m6dJ-6-NrVGAmtF-_P6OB_QDr1G1k65pcispTXavBno5eYhdkBP-gJQi95-I6uVVLBv1NPU9DDfUGAvbZbTjQtPjUjJsosWioCzSv6FEVf6pG XrzmcA_F87TDASTlL2gXsnO-Cra-RpkHR8lX_bW_DV1LE2F2Pe1OrdeiYwRAwhrKC5Ovc8g?width= 1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://kxkxka-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4mZoIL1C3IJs65JUsyD3Kb4SEkFZulUxRh1KqD7XcRjZLOnvL 8T1HK_oOr2laudb0dVSTRKsqwzQWwljQInRbPLRSF8NgGt0EjZ e8A6xd11vMdFV3n9hT7m3c2JO0suboS3gLi5t1aveWCWoeyE9f HBc69V3dxKJUl-C_pGm5RLEp6AcU0ACFhz4VWE1yiATn_4CIM5Iotd5SGwqWhPyX vHw?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://kxjo7g-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4mGhP2CaU-Zaj6B71qxpDlXhj5jjsobNFBfsZbNxSR804FxEdAVCh8PCpcwF Fb2ljLL0lOUf4QuEoBO4slaE16nQ_p7TlpZhgFzt6Ode_xBDIz Uu-Vxp70ngcBkGjIzC0DIiihdoXUArbg5R8G1eUcpNF0eb7eSZS0l idcMb-ikhxEF6PrcNKIWcSk9AlCTJbK-XtB8lMHcpVJi_EVYfMUnw?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://kxlneq-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4mIG1PxoCA351Rqb5zOhjS6ts-P1lIeCLOYtAGSisP4yFTa2WCehkwMrcfflN9cMWPxO53DQF4oV eY59xuB6x10IVzSxEWrzmtlTk87L-21hZgOmUxSBa-90UzX248JmHvgcNozkSVh_2Czb_I0dLMuduw5q7Tgxg-LMy3BdYMvfdKXj6QnYubGaXw1lhpz9e1vykK_UaC-IThj4hzFM2hNg?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://kxke1w-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4m2HiZ60v4EZtbyUcNrjH7KhGMlvLLCZcbXe3vFD9BBj4VDl5 q6Cm-Wuh7cVtfTB77PHikcqAbBCVNxbtCVIpX5_URG4z6MxCeZ8l_Su CJDXpcrgGynxT4OWxTmZk9S-RhdhnQ5H6ReQ2NxLR5vxqXd7gGGUm5dGiHbrVPNM1DS2T6Vn7P joM0TGQoVSJa4jTykHivbh8Q33NA2-r9658b2Q?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://wrtpsg-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4maa7JVZwpE6PdUhtYsFAPISTbutw0_Av9bZFdVliXsUkL72I mj8Xh4pcdck89ajg9sxnOZ5BSWApenARLgOnS3yUYOE-xGb2qd904UrRMwMSae_jF3sTVwlj7_c1Ji1mmJ14uOKtSTsxfn ctyF8mEPScEDRP6ODNRAF5Op6FZHqlw9nlwJQRmJaKUBIjmp9u-hTNkp5uk_06YW8NyOx13Tg?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://kxidyw-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4m062qhOGBg15oV3XW59DVyyzgKOGo5qSJici5bfq-5HgbrgICD51WOz1yEnpACqzyqXAnzwn7rLC6cENZttnzDj5pj2 eS4ea0pcPTnYHqKG2-EavBRiFDPsWzP-RTOOAOzg9qavtQ49W51aO1mmM1J6VyAAD6p-nhEHLEnkEoGchHJMSCi1YUpsGGhAXsickZHqmQHk1GY2zFY80R 4ARkgQ?width=900&height=1598&cropmode=none

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Tune Audio / Trafomatic as per earlier in thread, this time with a video. Refer to earlier for SQ comments.

The video makes the pics redundant, really, so watch it plugged into yer hi-fi system. You'll pick more up about SQ than I can say. But obviously nowt like being there.

Seriously, and I mean quite seriously like that TT lookswise.

I don't like the TT look. I hate it. High end bling. Audiophile jewelry. Probably associated insane pricing. Ridiculous. That's what destroys this industry. See also Davey's wise post earlier in this thread.

It's far more logical to produce electronics and other gear in small quantities and with nice casework and ask insane pricing than to risk producing the same gear with 'good enough' casework and ask an entry level price...thereby making the piece available to a much larger audience, but also being susceptible to the 'audio snob' who has to have the best...and equates best with highest price and bling casing ( Hello Mr. Dan D'Agostino- and so many others who TOTALLY get this!!). Even though those with good ears are completely questioning the sound of said piece, LOL. IMHO, this is the current and possibly future state of high end audio. Unfortunately, I also believe that this marketing plan could ultimately lead to the complete demise of the industry. Luckily, there are still some folks who are trying to bring great sounding gear to the market at entry level prices....problem is they are typically looked upon in a less favorable light! Sometimes, I question whether the MF's and JV's of the world along with their "anything below $500K is pretty cheap" philosophy, is in fact beneficial to this hobby?????

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Just reminded me of my fave version from Elie Dupuis when he was just a kid.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrT14CGWMY[/video]
Thought the Tune audio sounded awful btw. Hope they sounded better in real life.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't like the TT look. I hate it. High end bling. Audiophile jewelry. Probably associated insane pricing. Ridiculous. That's what destroys this industry. See also Davey's wise post earlier in this thread.

I'm smiling:)

Wilson / Nagra.

I'm surprised I like these in red, but I do.

One thing you will probably never hear at a show is what a large Wilson can do with ample Watts and music with some serious bass content. They can play seriously loud and hold it together. If you ever get the chance, try it.

If you've never respected Wilson before, you will learn some respect pretty quick:D You needn't like them, but you WILL respect them (wink).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing