High end Munich 2017

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
a lot of aesthetically challenged speakers here- I'm stunned spouses would remotely approve them, but maybe different in EU.

I'm actually being kind here.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How can 7' tall columns of drivers not be beautiful?

And Flemming will make Gryphon speakers in any color you want!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keep telling y'self that, Ron LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Did anyone wander into the Taiko/SGM/Audiopax/Acqueo room?
I ask because the c€10k Taiko Tana active/passive isoln platforms were in use
Apparently a hybrid of OEM lab grade active device (<1-120Hz) amalgamated w 5-layer constrained damping passive (>120Hz)

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Did anyone wander into the Taiko/SGM/Audiopax/Acqueo room?

Yes, I was in the Sound Galleries room... just when Srajan Ebaen happened to be there, and I was totally overlooked as a result :(. They had the Metrum DAC connected at the time and we listened to some nice Brazilian tracks. I can't comment on the Taiko Tana active/passive platforms in isolation (pardon the pun), but I can say that I was very disappointed with the overall sound. Bland, dead and totally boring to my ears. (Massive apologies to Edward and Geoffrey, but I feel I have to say it as I heard it.) But I will say that everyone else in the room at the time seemed to really like the sound, so maybe it was simply down to preferences. I like the sound to 'breath', and only a few systems (mainly tubes/horns) seem to be capable of achieving this.

Mani.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Yes, I was in the Sound Galleries room... just when Srajan Ebaen happened to be there, and I was totally overlooked as a result :(. They had the Metrum DAC connected at the time and we listened to some nice Brazilian tracks. I can't comment on the Taiko Tana active/passive platforms in isolation (pardon the pun), but I can say that I was very disappointed with the overall sound. Bland, dead and totally boring to my ears. (Massive apologies to Edward and Geoffrey, but I feel I have to say it as I heard it.) But I will say that everyone else in the room at the time seemed to really like the sound, so maybe it was simply down to preferences. I like the sound to 'breath', and only a few systems (mainly tubes/horns) seem to be capable of achieving this.

Mani.

Hi Mani,

Sorry to have missed you when you were there.

Your comment about the sound of the room overall is actually a great data point for me. The night before, when we were switching from the Nagra HD playing DSD 128 to the Metrum Adagio playing 2/384 DXD there were about 10 of us. 8 of us preferred the Metrum Adagio, 2 persons in the group with very good high frequency hearing acuity very strongly preferred the Nagra HD. They made similar comments to you.

It's good that the audiophile community has a broad selection of DAC's

Regardless of Nagra HD DAC doing DSD, or Metrum Adagio doing PCM DXD, both DAC's benefited very significantly from the Taiko Tana with active control on or off when we did the A/B comparisons for certain members of the press. It was easily detectable with just 3 to 5 bars of music.

Best

Ed

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ed, I'm not sure if you got my email?
Before I make a final decision to go/not go for SGM next yr, I have to sort isoln of my tt
In the next 2-3 months I'm looking at shelling out for passive or active, and have a shortlist of 3, Minus K, Stacore Adv, both passive, and active Kuraka
I'd like to add the Tana to that list
Can you PM me here or email me and we can talk a bit more?
Or is the Tana purely Emile's baby, and comms should only go thru him? He already knows of my interest

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Ed, I'm not sure if you got my email?
Before I make a final decision to go/not go for SGM next yr, I have to sort isoln of my tt
In the next 2-3 months I'm looking at shelling out for passive or active, and have a shortlist of 3, Minus K, Stacore Adv, both passive, and active Kuraka
I'd like to add the Tana to that list
Can you PM me here or email me and we can talk a bit more?
Or is the Tana purely Emile's baby, and comms should only go thru him? He already knows of my interest

Hi Marc,

Emile or me no difference all these products and projects are worked on together. When I see he has replied to you, I don't send a duplicate reply

We are going to be doing some turntable testing of the Taiko Tana this week, and I will give you our 2 cents as we collect data points

We don't want unhappy customers. especially buyer's remorse, which is why we only invoice after the customer is happy with the installation.

So far every customer for whom we have installed equipment for has asked us to invoice shortly after installation.

Best

Ed

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Ed
Both you and Emile have my email
Keep in as much contact as you can in the next couple of months
I could do w some additional tech info incl its claim to superiority, tech, materials, data, graphs etc and price details ahead of any decision to purchase
This is precisely what I'm getting from the other 3 on my shortlist

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Luxman room was fantastic. I thought it was there valve amp playing but in reality it was the SS m900u. I keep telling people this is a great amp especially for the money, it is way better than these Ypsilon hybrids in direct shootouts, Joel from 6 moons has tried it with Vivid and Maggie 20.7 and he has experience of many amps including owning Ypsilon Aelius. At 10k price GBP it killed Viola Symphony, and was a close second to Gryphon Mephisto which is 50k or more. It is just not as fast and detailed and bassy as the Gryphon. Tone, musicality, is superior. People have migrated to it from valves. Shame at Munich they should have gone with bigger speakers.

So, what were your top 3 horn rooms then?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So, what were your top 3 horn rooms then?

WE aside?
Well, I love Trios, if I had the space and budget would have bought, but did not spend much time here due to the kind of music they were playing, but it was high octane for sure.
Odeon sounded best of the expensive horns, though I prefer Universum to 32 and 38. Pity they hadn't set up the Universums. I have heard them more since last show and liked them more
I think Blumenhofer sounds alright though it does not have the flow of a good SET horn, it is more like a good cone that you can fit into a space where large horns will struggle. It will sell well to those who have budget but not space and also want the looks. It integrates fine.
Can't fault the giant Viva but nothing special for the money, maybe due to room size
Totaldac horns had potential - they do some tones very well, the integration and some hardness was where I had doubts. It might work in better settings, and if it doesn’t, could possibly be ironed out with the designer. The size is a big plus.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
WE aside?
Well, I love Trios, if I had the space and budget would have bought, but did not spend much time here due to the kind of music they were playing, but it was high octane for sure.
Odeon sounded best of the expensive horns, though I prefer Universum to 32 and 38. Pity they hadn't set up the Universums. I have heard them more since last show and liked them more
I think Blumenhofer sounds alright though it does not have the flow of a good SET horn, it is more like a good cone that you can fit into a space where large horns will struggle. It will sell well to those who have budget but not space and also want the looks. It integrates fine.
Can't fault the giant Viva but nothing special for the money, maybe due to room size
Totaldac horns had potential - they do some tones very well, the integration and some hardness was where I had doubts. It might work in better settings, and if it doesn’t, could possibly be ironed out with the designer. The size is a big plus.

Did you hear the AC room?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you hear the AC room?

Jazzhead and I stepped into it briefly on Saturday. We did not really take to the sound, and I thought it was unfair to judge anything in that room given the small size. It did not help that they were playing Telegraph Road then on digital, which is a 14:15 min song and I was not willing to wait that out. I was pretty interested in that Vyger. My main objective at the show was analog. The only two digital rooms I did IIRC were Odeon and Audio Exklusiv.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Jazzhead and I stepped into it briefly on Saturday. We did not really take to the sound, and I thought it was unfair to judge anything in that room given the small size. It did not help that they were playing Telegraph Road then on digital, which is a 14:15 min song and I was not willing to wait that out. I was pretty interested in that Vyger. My main objective at the show was analog. The only two digital rooms I did IIRC were Odeon and Audio Exklusiv.

Are you sure it was digital? i was there listening on Saturday and we put on Telegraph Road on the Vyger...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you sure it was digital? i was there listening on Saturday and we put on Telegraph Road on the Vyger...

Well actually I said can I listen to my vinyl, was told after the track finishes. Did I look to see if the Vyger arm was down on an LP? – can’t recollect. Maybe I assumed, not sure now. I listened a few mins, decided I don’t want 14 mins of this, same with Jazzhead, so we left.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well actually I said can I listen to my vinyl, was told after the track finishes. Did I look to see if the Vyger arm was down on an LP? – can’t recollect. Maybe I assumed, not sure now. I listened a few mins, decided I don’t want 14 mins of this, same with Jazzhead, so we left.

Fair enough. I found the only really good seat was the one seat in the back row. The three front seats were kind of in a room anti-node where the bass was kind of sucked out. Made it sound a bit lean. In the back seat it was much better balanced.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
a lot of aesthetically challenged speakers here (...)

As you say - most speakers per se look really horrible. But some manage to look interesting depending on room decoration.

IMHO it is mostly a matter of integrating the room style. And yes, XLF's do not look nice, but sound great!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fair enough. I found the only really good seat was the one seat in the back row. The three front seats were kind of in a room anti-node where the bass was kind of sucked out. Made it sound a bit lean. In the back seat it was much better balanced.

No I was standing

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As you say - most speakers per se look really horrible. But some manage to look interesting depending on room decoration.

IMHO it is mostly a matter of integrating the room style. And yes, XLF's do not look nice, but sound great!

My favorite speakers for looks are Tannoys. And many with good wood veneer (many horns that way), which I will never pay for. If I have to get a custom horn it will be without finish, like that WE black. Saves a lot of money.

I like the Apogee look, especially Christoph’s White Scintilla with wood border, though not the fact that they intrude in to the room, and I like horns Universum in white. They had them in Leather on display in Munich

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing