High end Munich 2017

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Hi Marty,

VAC, McIntosh and VTL were there. I saw Luke Manley in the hall, but no, didn't see Audio Research, Lamm or Conrad Johnson in any of the suites, nor on any of the literature. Jim White of Aesthetix commented to me that Munich is great for them, but they have a dealer/distributor network that may serve them better in Europe than other parts of the world, which may not be so true of AR, Lamm, CJ, etc, although I'm not sure why that would be the case given the sheer number of Asian brands and audiophiles I saw attend the show.

853guy

EDIT: Just saw Bonzo's reply. Sorry.

I though I have seen ARC on static display in the same room as Dagostino a dn Sonus faber ... or am I imagining things ?

ARC most certainly has been present in Munich since I remember.

Lamm and CJ do not have a strong EU presence. I'm not even shure CJ is CE approved.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Marty,

VAC, McIntosh and VTL were there. I saw Luke Manley in the hall, but no, didn't see Audio Research, Lamm or Conrad Johnson in any of the suites, nor on any of the literature. Jim White of Aesthetix commented to me that Munich is great for them, but they have a dealer/distributor network that may serve them better in Europe than other parts of the world, which may not be so true of AR, Lamm, CJ, etc, although I'm not sure why that would be the case given the sheer number of Asian brands and audiophiles I saw attend the show.

853guy

EDIT: Just saw Bonzo's reply. Sorry.

AR is very strong in EU especially UK and is usually there at Munich. VAC seemed this year because of the Von Schweikert system. Dagostino is there too. UK is a big US brand dominated market. AR, Wilson, Martin Logan. The US brands distributor is powerful and charges more here than it costs in the US, but his strong distribution creates a great resale value. AR is one of the most safe to buy and resale here. Personally except in rare cases I don't see the need for buying across continents and paying higher price

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Can anyone comment on the sound in the Von Schweikert room with new Ultra 11's. I know that Leif and Damon were not able to use MasterBuilt Cable as the owner of the room was a European manufacturer of high end cables

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Can anyone comment on the sound in the Von Schweikert room with new Ultra 11's. I know that Leif and Damon were not able to use MasterBuilt Cable as the owner of the room was a European manufacturer of high end cables

Steve,

It was extremely underwhelming, and I stopped by 3 or 4 times. Music selection was always pretty bad too, bland vocal jazz...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Did anyone see the Ascendo 50" subwoofer?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jIyUmpz9dII

Yeah and heard it Ron. Crazy thing. The AV room next door to it was much more impressive. Serious AV sounds and video.

Anyway, here's some Luxman kit, shot by me. I'll post a bit of my media here, but the rest will go to a UK site I linked to earlier.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Let's be nice to Luxman.

Considering the modest nature of the speakers, this room full of Luxman kit sounded very good in the flesh. Love that valve amp. Really was good this room. And some of it is almost vaguely affordable.

Video to follow. I am going to have to use YouTube, as the alternative I had in mind just won't do the job as hosting on vBugletin:D won't work.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Luxman room was fantastic. I thought it was there valve amp playing but in reality it was the SS m900u. I keep telling people this is a great amp especially for the money, it is way better than these Ypsilon hybrids in direct shootouts, Joel from 6 moons has tried it with Vivid and Maggie 20.7 and he has experience of many amps including owning Ypsilon Aelius. At 10k price GBP it killed Viola Symphony, and was a close second to Gryphon Mephisto which is 50k or more. It is just not as fast and detailed and bassy as the Gryphon. Tone, musicality, is superior. People have migrated to it from valves. Shame at Munich they should have gone with bigger speakers.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've batched a load of YouTube videos but it'll take a good while to upload. There are quite a few, but unfortunately some of the good videos are compromised by an RX100 fault that appeared in my camera. It makes a load of noise in the video sound as some sort of lens gearing goes nuts. It is annoying, but you can hear through it so I may post some of those later because otherwise they are good vids.

Anyway, so MSB pics, including the new DAC they have been working on. Playing MQA at the time. I wasn't mind blown at the time. But their kit is very good.

Once again I really found rooms to vary depending on what time you were in there, the volume, and obviously what was playing at that time. So easy to get misled and come to the wrong conclusion. A point I always try to make.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'd like to plug the M-900U into the Apogees I have to say. Could do a good job.

El cheapo version of the Olympian:D.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great pics. The Wilsons with the Nagra were red

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Lampizator room.

Atlantic GG. This room was dead sweet, really. Playing crap I'd never listen to in a million years, but FWIW it did sound really nice. Much better than the Aeries Cerat gear that cost a lot more money. Seriously - much, much better. In the general scheme of things not killer, but very pleasant nonetheless.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Marten / totaldac. Nice system love the amps.

https://kj15gw-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4moEotYevDfdU9nn26hy_L92NUnMczQKcWOZXpdeIJRem-ozeRoBfjjOdSmwqZFd2bZ66vDqNE6nRZJFyOEjmQyX164HwsRf sD8f0D3HHH3gJ8KRbdTV7CU46fmX2wu_4x_F7qGz0arxK2w3EG bQWKJwV8sjnEYPwypq8F_zqG9dmDBy2xq4xdIwGdPgxY-WyJTNAwHVhUdCxYLMYiylwWcg?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

https://a7czea-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y4mhOn17VAayKMxMMgsVoDWwGwVME_BijuoyzUqvYRkcm9MfRT x41mlNhj9Ck5fF4tNoABjxXGHFh-leAFo59j98celOfo9G7QnRisxA71yCFMFHmZfRUDhx5QKmBf9E GFyY_nZBnzgrCKwxSAwi-YcNQNkPJFBiQu6kr5o4oIuBT3fjMBPh6XZHcATqfXNyEFhF98d xftCamRB-JDpZNh_DQ?width=1598&height=900&cropmode=none

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
what amps are they?
quite nice.
coltrane 3 not bad either.

edit: engstrom? my eyes getting better focussed now.
they remind me of the lars amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing