High end Munich 2017

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm not sure what you mean here. ........JV and GW were at both shows..........

Ok, if they were then an opinion on VS+VAC would interesting as heard at both shows.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Just one example: the last few days I was listening to Jeff Beck 'Lve at Ronnie Scott's'. Totally electrifying music. Why not play something like that? Or what are you afraid of, folks?

Al - great recommendation....thoroughly enjoying.....in particular "A Day in the Life".....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Wednesday night I had 4 visitors to my room (likely mid-50's to mid-60's in age). I knew 2 of them prior just a little but had no idea of their musical tastes. after some talk about the system, I asked about what they wanted to hear. mostly they talked about classic rock, a little jazz, maybe some 'torch music'. so really kinda like an audio show.

I started out with a live Jazz recording, Ben Webster, 'Georgia' from 'Live at the Renaissance'.....played at 'real levels'. then a bit of Dean Martin and Ella. next was ZZ Top's La Grange, and then the 45 of AC/DC's 'You Shook Me All Night Long". and next was Fleetwood Mac Live from 1980, "Never Going Back Again". each cut was played at involving levels. next came the dtd of Ray Brown/Laurindo Alimeda 'Moonlight Serenade'......then one of them asked for a bit of Patricia Barber from Café Blue, so I played the 45rpm of 'Too Rich For My Blood'. this was a buzz kill after the previous cuts. maybe if I had played the 15ips, 1/4" it might have been a bit better. so I had to re-ignite the vibe and pulled out the big guns; first side one on LZ 1, 15 ips 1/4"......which got us into a lather. then it was 'Stairway' 15ips, 1/4', then Yes "Fragile", 'Roundabout' 15ips, 1/4", then PF 'Wish You Were Here" 15ips, 1/4". we ended the night with Sgt. Pepper's 'A Day In The Life" 15ips 1/4" and it was midnight.

they got there a little before 7pm, and left a little after midnight and it seemed like we listened for 45 minutes as the time just flew by. the music was compelling, lots of clapping, a few tears, talk was mostly between cuts, lots of rotating into the sweet spot.

there were other cuts; I played some opera, and some large orchestral too.....they don't come to mind right now as I sit here.

but the music was flowing for sure, and there is so much great lively music that it should not be an issue.

some sessions involve lots of requests, some sessions get much more classical, or more jazz. but finding fun music ought not to be that difficult.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
With Tidal and my local collection ..I give visitors *their* choice of music ..and it's amazing that so many of them , even the audiophiles , cant think of something to play....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) On power, good conditioners can make dirty AC at shows sound at least acceptable, the audible artifacts will be attenuated far enough that you can get good results. I've heard it happen personally. But maybe in other shows the power is even worse, although it would be hard to imagine much worse.(...)

But, as usually in high-end matters, when asked what is a good power conditioner we will be told that it is one that makes our system sound good ...

Diagnosing power issues should be very simple. However we still do not have a metric for it for stereo audio purposes.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al - great recommendation....thoroughly enjoying.....in particular "A Day in the Life".....

You're welcome, glad you enjoy it.

Yes, that instrumental re-make of a Beatles classic is exciting. He keeps the main part of the original melody, expressively played on the guitar, but reworks the melody of the line "Woke up, fell out of bed, Dragged a comb across my head" into a mainly just rhythmic riff. There is another passage with a completely new inlay of a rock riff that works beautifully. And of course he preserves the approximate outlines of the two large swoops, one win the middle and the other at the end, but also here does some considerable 're-shaping' (partly necessitated since he doesn't have an orchestra to work with).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wednesday night I had 4 visitors to my room (likely mid-50's to mid-60's in age). I knew 2 of them prior just a little but had no idea of their musical tastes. after some talk about the system, I asked about what they wanted to hear. mostly they talked about classic rock, a little jazz, maybe some 'torch music'. so really kinda like an audio show.
I started out with a live Jazz recording, Ben Webster, 'Georgia' from 'Live at the Renaissance'.....played at 'real levels'. then a bit of Dean Martin and Ella. next was ZZ Top's La Grange, and then the 45 of AC/DC's 'You Shook Me All Night Long". and next was Fleetwood Mac Live from 1980, "Never Going Back Again". each cut was played at involving levels. next came the dtd of Ray Brown/Laurindo Alimeda 'Moonlight Serenade'......then one of them asked for a bit of Patricia Barber from Café Blue, so I played the 45rpm of 'Too Rich For My Blood'. this was a buzz kill after the previous cuts. maybe if I had played the 15ips, 1/4" it might have been a bit better. so I had to re-ignite the vibe and pulled out the big guns; first side one on LZ 1, 15 ips 1/4"......which got us into a lather. then it was 'Stairway' 15ips, 1/4', then Yes "Fragile", 'Roundabout' 15ips, 1/4", then PF 'Wish You Were Here" 15ips, 1/4". we ended the night with Sgt. Pepper's 'A Day In The Life" 15ips 1/4" and it was midnight.
they got there a little before 7pm, and left a little after midnight and it seemed like we listened for 45 minutes as the time just flew by. the music was compelling, lots of clapping, a few tears, talk was mostly between cuts, lots of rotating into the sweet spot.
there were other cuts; I played some opera, and some large orchestral too.....they don't come to mind right now as I sit here.
but the music was flowing for sure, and there is so much great lively music that it should not be an issue.
some sessions involve lots of requests, some sessions get much more classical, or more jazz. but finding fun music ought not to be that difficult.

That was a good read Mike..."the music was compelling, lots of clapping, a few tears, talk was mostly between cuts, lots of rotating into the sweet spot.
there were other cuts; I played some opera, and some large orchestral too....."

Audio shows should be like that, you are an audio showman. I appreciate too the music selections mentioned. :cool:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The pic I've taken in the loo:

One can only hope their technical skills are better than their language skills ;)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Alex,

Nice to hear that the show was worth while going to, I figured that would be the case, plus a trip to Munich this time of year is usually a treat.

Did you happen to hear the new Vivid Spirit's with the Tech Das? Also, are any of the better known UK brands represented there...Linn, Harbeth, Sugden, Spendor, Naim?? I get the feeling that these guys skip this show...not sure why, except for cost of room etc,.

Horns and glass enclosed rooms....not my idea of fun, LOL....:rolleyes::cool::D:D
Sugden is always there with PRECIDE (Herr Durrenmat from Heil AMT).

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Reviewers view from Peter B released. For an 'Epic Fail' my boys from Cyprus managed to pull a BOS and Gold Star at Munich this year

Skip to 7:10

Aries Cerat Highend Munich  2017.jpg

Members online

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing