E. England
Whoops, Sablon Reservas cables, methinks
That's a Hell of a typo LOL

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I stopped by earlier today to chat and have a quick listen, and I saw when the polish guy handed the award! Pretty cool :)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Don't know which picture will be most appreciated, so I put both :)

View attachment 32540

View attachment 32541

Our room is not tall, on the contrary. Of course we wanted a taller one but the organisation has to let you ...

Anyway, we had some very 'encouraging comments' to put it diplomatically :cool:

It didn't really work. I spent some time in there trying to like it but I felt the speakers, whilst great looking, weren't great.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Congrats on such great early recognition! Emile has given me a heads up on the new Taiko products and I very much look forward to putting them through their paces. I do however think you may have missed someone from your credits list

It's against Show rules to advertise products that are not from a paying exhibitor, but I can say that a highly respected USB cable that has been carefully optimized for DSD DAC's that do not use USB power, and does not have the power leg, was indeed carrying the DSD data stream from the SGM to Nagra HD

:cool:

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
I’ve been there yesterday. Terrific. No matter in what room, all smiled, all very happy, any question about correct tonality in their demo was answered at once with their laptops to show me their graphs, very knowledgeable. The standard was very remarkable imo. Can’t vote for best sound of show, all similar and the differences too subtle to rate one for no 1, next for no.2 …. it would be too dissapointing for the other ones. Really crowded, lots of visitors. My Product of Show ... Telos Audio with their elegant grounding device on static display....

djdn1g86av4opiu8f.jpg

djdmzpbwaudqy080f.jpg

djdn0rfbitsaj4fin.jpg

djdn24sk8v8cl1x1r.jpg

Last edited:

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
I’m now on my way home from the show. I managed to sit down and take a good listen to many systems, including: Living Voice/Kondo, MSB, Einstein, dCS, Göbel, Wilson Benesch, Aries Cerat, Sound Galleries, Avantgarde Acoustic, Cessaro, Kawero/Kondo, Magico/Spectral, MBL, Thöress, Tune Audio, Silbatone/WE, Elrog, soulution, hORNS, Tidal, Mark Levinson, Marten, Stein and TAD, among others.

All my photos came out horribly, so I won't post any.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t do this, but because they were amongst the most expensive systems at the show, here are my biggest disappointments:

3. Living Voice. This is the first time I’ve listened to the Vox Palladians, but have heard the Vox Olympians a few times before. I wasn’t that impressed with the Olympians, and am even less impressed with the Palladians. Mind you, so I should be – as displayed, the Palladians only cost 2/3 of the Olympians’ $800,000 price tag!

2. Cessaro. This is the second time I’ve listened to the Gammas at the Munich show. I forced myself to sit through 30 minutes or so of ‘music’. In that time, most people came in, sat down for all of 30 seconds and walked back out. I was mightily tempted to do the same myself many times.

1. Magico/Spectral. The last time I heard Magicos was when they partnered with soulution a few years ago at Munich. I was underwhelmed back then, and unfortunately, partnering the S3s with Spectral hasn’t seemed to help one iota. A totally dead sound, as far as I’m concerned. How people can rant and rave about them is totally beyond me.

OK, on to the cool-sounding stuff. My top systems were:

3. Aries Cerat. Wow, what a dynamic and totally immersive sound. Slightly edgy off centre, but in the sweet spot were massively impressive. Finally, a system with a bit of life!

2. Silbatone/WE. So easy on the ear, and yet so detailed and intricate. I would have liked a bit more ‘kick’ though. But really can’t complain for an 85 year-old pair of speakers!

1. Tune Audio/Trafomatic. OK, I’m probably a bit biased as I own the Animas. This year, Tune Audio left the Animas at home and instead brought along the newer, larger and more expensive Avatons, mated with a gorgeous pair of Trafomatic Elysium SE tube amps (only $150k a pair!). I heard the system on the Friday and wasn’t overly impressed. But I went back today and really enjoyed the sound. I stayed for an hour or so, and everything Manolis played sounded great. Only a handful of systems I’ve ever heard have matched this level of performance. My only criticism was that the sound was a tad too bright, but this could be easily solved as the speakers are quite adjustable.

Overall, a phenomenal two days. And a massive thanks to Reinhard Thöress for not only providing a great-sounding system, that I very much enjoyed listening to, but for being a generally great guy.

Mani.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Anybody attended the Bach SP demo , there's some crazy stuff happening there . Do try go visit , if attending tomorrow .

Western Electric were natural with no emphasis on any frequency band . Great scale and a strong low end with good control . Not the final word in refinement , there exists a coarseness in certain recordings . Not particularly strong at imaging , which may the case at a live concert .

Heard the VR 11 , the toast of the town at Axpona . Why did they change a winning combo , cause this surely wasn't firing on all cylinders . I feel Aires Cerat should have given the show a wide berth, rather than try impress in that dimunitive cubicle . It just ain't gonna happen . Half of he battle is lost even before the clarion call .

Stein music had this little speaker , a small horn mated to some cone drivers . It did scale staggeringly well and the tone wasn't half bad . Not a particularly attractive desgin , but it will surprise you with what it does .

Never been a B&W fan , but this is the best I ve heard them play mated with a full Esoteric Grandioso chain , bi amped just for good measure . The Wilson Benesch with Ypsilon was promising in a brief listen .

There's been talk about Soulution having turned a corner with their Gen2 gear , well not so I would say . They managed to make the Rockport sound metallic , no mean feat that ! I preferred the smaller Tidal Piano with the MSB Ref DAC and MSB Amps to the big Assalouta set up .

Its been fun as always .

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Too bad re Aries
Esp at show prices of, what, €4K per day
Hardly seems worth it

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I keep forgetting to check the Aries Cerat room/booth! I walked the entire ground floor today and couldn't find them!

Stopped by the SGM/Audiopax today, and with the DAC change (Metrum I think) things got considerably better.

They do have an Aqua Formula in there, let's hope it shows up in the system tomorrow :)

cheers,
alex

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Too bad re Aries
Esp at show prices of, what, €4K per day
Hardly seems worth it
It's 8 k for a booth on the ground floor . Then multiply by sq feet . 30 k Euro is the ball park figure to make your presence be heard at the show , this from one of the exhibitors .
Almost Double that for a room on the upper floors .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anybody attended the Bach SP demo , there's some crazy stuff happening there . Do try go visit , if attending tomorrow .

Heard the VR 11 , the toast of the town at Axpona . Why did they change a winning combo , cause this surely wasn't firing on all cylinders . I feel Aires Cerat should have given the show a wide berth, rather than try impress in that dimunitive cubicle . It just ain't gonna happen . Half of he battle is lost even before the clarion call .

Stein music had this little speaker , a small horn mated to some cone drivers . It did scale staggeringly well and the tone wasn't half bad . Not a particularly attractive desgin , but it will surprise you with what it does .

Never been a B&W fan , but this is the best I ve heard them play mated with a full Esoteric Grandioso chain , bi amped just for good measure . The Wilson Benesch with Ypsilon was promising in a brief listen .

There's been talk about Soulution having turned a corner with their Gen2 gear , well not so I would say . They managed to make the Rockport sound metallic , no mean feat that ! I preferred the smaller Tidal Piano with the MSB Ref DAC and MSB Amps to the big Assalouta set up .

Its been fun as always .

I was with jazzhead today most of the time and agree to most of that. Didn't hear B&W but I have heard 802 D3 properly set up and they are better than many cones today. The Stein both of us marveled at, it reminded me of Stenheim alumine 5 but at 10k! Best rooms for me by far were WE and audio exklusiv, massive electrostats which I think are better than Logan and quads. Used price will be 8k euro. Many horns disappointed, definitely preferred the Anima to this tune audio, viva masterhorn was just ok, totaldac horn has promise in size, will be a good small horn if it can be made to integrate properly will have to check in proper set up. Price of all horns was ridiculous. The new big Odeon horn sounded nice, but 124k?

Liked the flexibility of thoress EQ on the phono, and the Stein carbon signature TT mat which we heard with and without, was making massive difference on bass, space, and tone.

I am getting to play my vinyl in most rooms. The WE room has Caeles with art 1000, Schroeder with tzar DST, and a Schick modded TT with VDH. They rate the DST to have the best texture also like the Art 1000 which is also copied from.Neumann. Viva also using the ART 1000 and loves it. Doehmann with SAT and Etna

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I was with jazzhead today most of the time and agree to most of that. Didn't hear B&W but I have heard 802 D3 properly set up and they are better than many cones today. The Stein both of us marveled at, it reminded me of Stenheim alumine 5 but at 10k! Best rooms for me by far were WE and audio exklusiv, massive electrostats which I think are better than Logan and quads. Used price will be 8k euro. Many horns disappointed, definitely preferred the Anima to this tune audio, viva masterhorn was just ok, totaldac horn has promise in size, will be a good small horn if it can be made to integrate properly will have to check in proper set up. Price of all horns was ridiculous. The new big Odeon horn sounded nice, but 124k?

Liked the flexibility of thoress EQ on the phono, and the Stein carbon signature TT mat which we heard with and without, was making massive difference on bass, space, and tone.

I am getting to play my vinyl in most rooms. The WE room has Caeles with art 1000, Schroeder with tzar DST, and a Schick modded TT with VDH. They rate the DST to have the best texture also like the Art 1000 which is also copied from.Neumann. Viva also using the ART 1000 and loves it. Doehmann with SAT and Etna

Yes, the big Odeon is a worthy mention regardless of its price , the Aqua Formula and its transport were in action here . The LP mat without and without was worth experiencing . The Bach SP needs further investigation for sure , made the little Focal scale like a Grande Utopia and image localization that was plain spooky .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Big Goebbels are staging fantastic in the sweet spot, big wide deep stage, I think these have Mike Lavigne type set up potential. Need a bit more naturalness which should be possible outside show. Running with CH, Kronos, Zyx Uni premium. This Kronos Zyx set up is also part of the Rockport Absolare set up.

The Bach is doing a lot but it records from where the micro phone is kept in the hall. It is becoming a bit too immersive and overwhelming for me, would like the stage a bit back

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If any of you haven't been, The Marriott has a lot of viva masterhorn, total dac horn, Jadis, JMF, Acapella and it runs till 8 pm

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Has anyone heard the new beefed up Trios w 3 prs Basshorns (live drummer optional LOL)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anyone heard the new beefed up Trios w 3 prs Basshorns (live drummer optional LOL)

Justin loved them. I will get to hear today. They always had 3 pairs in the factory, where I have ABed switching off two pairs. One pair is sufficient, difference is not that big

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com

Justin loved them. I will get to hear today. They always had 3 pairs in the factory, where I have ABed switching off two pairs. One pair is sufficient, difference is not that big

I spent a lot of time in there, with and without the drummer (who was superb, I thought). Will definitely look into getting a pair of Trios... the next time I'm in the market for a PA system.

Mani.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa

Iv'e heard the trios many times (not sure if they beefed up), with 6 basshorns .. but not at the show .. a short comment on my part is "shock and awe ..blitzkrieg"

Would be keen on any impressions of the Trinnov/Vivid stand.. quad amped active G1 Spirits as mains wit G2's as surrounds!!
Had I been in better physical condition.. would have loved to make Munich..maybe next year.
I will live vicariously thru those that did.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I remember when I used to look at prices of top of the range Rockports, Wilsons and Kharmas w incredulity
Lord knows what I would have thought had you informed me that just a few yrs later brands like Aries Cerat and Tune Audio would be doing the same
High end prices are a total joke

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing