High end Munich 2017

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh My GOD......

I'm supposed to take your advice on how to set a room with the speakers we designed? Are you kidding me.
No you don't. What you must do is be professional and not run off with personal innuendo when someone says less than 100% positive about the experience they heard at the show.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Again, if you are not sure you can't produce good sound, don't exhibit. Life is tough. Get over it. And don't bitch and moan and complain. And don't hope for some sympathy, it doesn't work that way. What works is delivering stellar sound for show goers.

Maybe that's the reasons I stopped coming to Hi-Fi shows. I rather spend time in forums learning from different people experiences in different conditions. Much more useful.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Here is Leif's reaction:

That doesn't read like what you say. He is accusing members of having agendas, i.e. they must have done a perfect job for everyone and anyone who disagrees, must be submitted to this type of behavior.

When I met Leif at AXPONA, he also told me about difficulties he had in the room yet here, quickly accused me of having an agenda.

You all have a choice: have unrealistic expectation that everyone leaves an audio show with expensive gear as the best thing they have heard. Or that some people for objective and non-objective reasons would walk away with different impression. You cannot change them. But you can change yourself and represent the industry with professionalism and maturity.

You do have an agenda and you are trash and down right lying. I suggest you stay away from me!

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
No you don't. What you must do is be professional and not run off with personal innuendo when someone says less than 100% positive about the experience they heard at the show.

You still hanging around Amir

172801_the_simpsons_homer_and_bart_350px.png

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir you are so full of crap. The only words I said to you was hello.
You don't remember talking about the challenges you had with the room? And me talking about how dead these rooms could be due to floor carpet and drop ceiling? We must have talked for at least five minutes in the back row about the room acoustics.

Indeed after saying hello it was you that started this conversation. There was no place for me to sit so I had not yet formed any opinion about the room. So I had no reason to bring up any discussion in this regard.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Maybe that's the reasons I stopped coming to Hi-Fi shows. I rather spend time in forums learning from different people experiences in different conditions. Much more useful.

I agree. I was at AXPONA and mostly didn't expect that great of a sound (in fact, I was in Chicago mainly for another event that weekend, otherwise I might not have come). I came to the show mostly just for curiosity and to meet with friends. I did have high hopes for a few specific rooms, which partially lived up to expectations or even exceeded them.

I was pleasantly surprised to actually find some good sound elsewhere too. If the sound is good, that's a positive learning experience. If it's not good, I don't necessarily judge. But exhibitors should not expect such an attitude from most visitors of a show. That is why I keep hammering on the importance of good sound, despite all difficulties (and I really don't like the cheap complaints and excuses by exhibitors).

The most useful obviously is listening to other people's systems at home, which I do. They have had the time to optimize the sound over months or even years.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
You don't remember talking about the challenges you had with the room? And me talking about how dead these rooms could be due to floor carpet and drop ceiling? We must have talked for at least five minutes in the back row about the room acoustics.

Indeed after saying hello it was you that started this conversation. There was no place for me to sit so I had not yet formed any opinion about the room. So I had no reason to bring up any discussion in this regard.

Only words out of my mouth was hello Amir. Your thinking of someone else and I was busy with the turntable. Nice try.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
And for the record, I was very pleased with the sound despite the room challenges.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

The people who know me here Amir know that I am straight up. I'm straight up with everyone. I would rather admit I was wrong and get my hand slapped then to lie. You would be the last person I would discuss room issues with considering you posting history and Damon is the same way.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
I agree. I was at AXPONA and mostly didn't expect that great of a sound (in fact, I was in Chicago mainly for another event that weekend, otherwise I might not have come). I came to the show mostly just for curiosity and to meet with friends. I did have high hopes for a few specific rooms, which partially lived up to expectations or even exceeded them.

I was pleasantly surprised to actually find some good sound elsewhere too. If the sound is good, that's a positive learning experience. If it's not good, I don't necessarily judge. But exhibitors should not expect such an attitude from most visitors of a show.

The most useful obviously is listening to other people's systems at home, which I do. They have had the time to optimize the sound over months or even years.

You're saying something interesting here. Thought-provoking. Actually, the one guy who has elevated the game (read: kicked manufacturers in the ass to strive for sonic perfection at a show) is Jonathan Valin. Before him, the pressonly talked about what things were and what they cost. He started reviewing performance at the show. He openly crucified and praised rooms.....frightening! He forced us all to raise our game. To try to sound like perfection on day one. God, I hate that and I love that. I love the challenge of the impossible because it benefits all of us. All manufacturers are challenged to do the impossible, and all listeners (JV's consequence) get to judge the result. The blessing is that JV has the wheelbase and intellect to level-set his praise and criticisms to the prevailing difficulty of the venue........

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
You're saying something interesting here. Thought-provoking. Actually, the one guy who has elevated the game (read: kicked manufacturers in the ass to strive for sonic perfection at a show) is Jonathan Valin. Before him, the pressonly talked about what things were and what they cost. He started reviewing performance at the show. He openly crucified and praised rooms.....frightening! He forced us all to raise our game. To try to sound like perfection on day one. God, I hate that and I love that. I love the challenge of the impossible because it benefits all of us. All manufacturers are challenged to do the impossible, and all listeners (JV's consequence) get to judge the result. The blessing is that JV has the wheelbase and intellect to level-set his praise and criticisms to the prevailing difficulty of the venue........

JV can be tough:p

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
That JV guy; how come he's not posting here?

...........from what I read, he's very accessible when he posts an article. But, if you argue with him make sure you express yourself well. He was educated at the University of Chicago in literature when Saul Bellow was walking the halls.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I mean the Infinity IRS Betas that I had a dozen years ago were $16K new back in the early 90s and that was considered very expensive. It was a serious piece of hardware, with those exotic L-Emim, Emim and Emits as well as electronic crossover and two towers of 4 x 12 inch woofers. You could see where your $16K went. Magico has monitors that cost twice that now...its a joke and I can tell you that a correctly set up IRS Beta stomps Magico (name your model except the big outrageous horn model) into the ground...like the classic film Bambi meets Godzilla.

For what it's worth, with inflation $16K in 1991 = ~$30K in 2017.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All this talk of poor room acoustics and other room related issues at shows, while very apropos most of the time, cannot be attributed to the room all of the time. IMO, there have to be instances when the gear being exhibited simply has problems. I suspect that most manufacturers want to blame the room...simply because this is far easier than admitting that their wares are faulty in any way.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
All this talk of poor room acoustics and other room related issues at shows, while very apropos most of the time, cannot be attributed to the room all of the time. IMO, there have to be instances when the gear being exhibited simply has problems. I suspect that most manufacturers want to blame the room...simply because this is far easier than admitting that their wares are faulty in any way.

Good point indeed Davey but my question was simple..... how could a system in one room several weeks earlier by all accounts be one of the best at Axpona but when the exact same gear is played in Munich it isn't. The room must be a factor

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey Al,

Where did we say we had room issues? All I said was thanks to Alex for a crappy show report coming from a dealer of Evolution Acoustics and YG. His history has shown that he has talked down on VSA and I took it a little personal. Nothing more, nothing less.

You're entitled to think my report was crap, and it was personal in as much as it reflected my personal taste in gear. Let it be clear to everybody that I have nothing, ZERO, NADA against you or VSA. Heck I barely know you! But for a number of reasons, I just chose not to carry your products in my store, that's it. Perhaps it's YOU that's taking things personally, since I chose not to work with VSA?

I didn't even mention the VSA room in my report, the one you said was "crap". I responded to a generic query made by Steve, and again, I responded with my *personal* opinion. I didn't say the room was crap, or that it had issues, or that it sucked or this or that. I just said I was underwhelmed, and the *music* wasn't to my liking, which made me not to want to linger. If you see my postings in other forums, I made the very same comment about the kind of music being playing in most rooms. The music in general in Munich was not the best, and it was kinda hard to put requests in with so many people in the rooms.

Now, Steve, admins, is that a crime? Is that an offense? Really? So I am not allowed to post my opinion on a certain brands?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Good point indeed Davey but my question was simple..... how could a system in one room several weeks earlier by all accounts be one of the best at Axpona but when the exact same gear is played in Munich it isn't. The room must be a factor

Steve,

You might be on to something. As Joel mentioned, VSA's room was not one of the standard ones, and being their first year, it must've been extra challenging. Even in the more standard rooms, room treatments were all over the place, sometimes overwhelmingly so...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing