AR amp w/ variac

Mrdi

Jan 28, 2017
My Audio Research D115 AMP and SP11 pre-amp have not been run in over a year.
They have been mine since new and were operating well before their hiatus.
I bought a Variac to bring them up slowly.
Do I disconnect speakers from the D115 AMP?
What procedures are recommended with the Variac for each/both?
All comments and help welcome.

Thanks

Mrdi

20 AMP 110V VARIAC AUTOTRANSFORMER VOLTAGE REGULATOR POWERSTAT 0-130V

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Some tube amps can oscillate when unloaded (some SS, too...) so I always used a power resistor on the outputs and a shorting plug on the input. Most ARC power amps include a relay circuit that lets the supplies come up before applying full line voltage; you may have to bypass the relay. You might want to use a shorting plug on the preamp and a load resistor on its output as well; I used 10 k to 100 k ohms just so it wasn't seeing an open circuit on the outputs. In the past I would bring the voltage up slowly over several minutes to maybe 60 ~ 80 % and then let it sit for an hour or two to help recondition the capacitors.

Make sure you test all the tubes first.

HTH - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing