Variac for D115 and SP11

Mrdi

Jan 28, 2017
My D115 AMP and SP11 pre-amp have not been run in over a year.
They have been mine since new and were operating well before their hiatus.
I bought a variac to bring them up slowly.
Do I disconnect speakers from the D115 AMP?
What procedures are recommended for eac/both?
All comments and help welcome.

Thanks

Mrdi

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi ,

If you want to use a variac to safely operate your D115 , I suggest you ask a tech to bypass or disconnect temporarily the start up Relay of your amp. Because this relay won't be triggered if the Voltage is below 105 V . Your using the variac to avoid damage to your big blue filter capacitors if sudden surge of electricity is supplied to those caps that had been dormant .Regarding the SP11, at one time I had not used my SP10 for more than a year and I decided to used it , I turned it on and the unit operated properly but it took a couple of hours before it sounded good .

Hope this helps ,

Tdh888

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing