Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magico Subwoofers

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar

Magico Subwoofers

1) Has anyone compared in a familiar system the sound of a Q-Sub or S-Sub to the competitors such as JL Audio Gotham or Velodyne DD-18+ or REL No. 25 or REL G1 or REL Studio III (available used but no longer in production) or Seaton Submersive or Seaton F18 or Paradigm Sub 2?

2) Can someone who owns or sells Magico subwoofers please tell me if they can accept speaker level inputs (which is the REL connection method)?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Addicted to Best!
    Hi Ron,

Have not heard them, I have certainly been told by people who have tried it/bought it and compared it...there kinda is no comparison to something like a Velodyne DD18+ one-on-one.

That said, in the end, given the enormous impact of room acoustics...you still might well end up better with 2 'lesser' subs than 1 mighty QSub

For me, I have had such great success with the Velodyne (though i admit it has taken an Auralex, 4 Ultra 5s, 5 Artesania Dampers and 150lbs of dead weight, plus a Sablon Audio Ref Power Cord to get there)...that i have not bothered to consider the QSub particularly given that it costs some 4x-5x more...but i would love to try it being a bass freak, and would imagine (like the Krell Master Ref Sub before it which was dual 15" cones facing away from each other in a 400lb aluminum block) that it could really rock.
    Last edited by LL21; 01-28-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    Ron,

I wonder what makes you prefere the high level input over the line level input in a sub ?

Using high level input makes you add the distortion of your main amp and the subwoofer amp.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

I don't believe I have ever heard anyone recommend placing the input to the sub on high level Ron. I am curious as to why you would ask though.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    This is another topic on which which it is difficult to develop a consensus. But in fairness like everything else the implementation of either technique may be more dispositive than the technique itself.

To answer your question:

1) I love my REL Stentor III. It has worked well for me with the high level input which i tap from the speaker terminals on my amplifiers. Of course this is only one data point, and I have not done a comparison with the other technique.

2) REL knows subwoofers and their people have decided that their speaker level method sounds better. Velodyne, Martin-Logan and Mark Seaton all offer high level inputs. JL Audio does not.

3) It makes some sense to me that using the high level input allows the subwoofer amp to inherit the character of the main amp. I believe that Gary at Genesis and Kevin at Evolution Acoustics utilize this technique as well.

4) Using speaker level inputs solves the subwoofer connection problem for people whose pre-amps do not have two sets of outputs.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    This is another topic on which which it is difficult to develop a consensus. But in fairness like everything else the implementation of either technique may be more dispositive than the technique itself.

To answer your question:

1) I love my REL Stentor III. It has worked well for me with the high level input which i tap from the speaker terminals on my amplifiers. Of course this is only one data point, and I have not done a comparison with the other technique.

2) REL knows subwoofers and their people have decided that their speaker level method sounds better. Velodyne, Martin-Logan and Mark Seaton all offer high level inputs. JL Audio does not.

3) It makes some sense to me that using the high level inout allows the subwoofer amp to inherit the character of the main amp. I believe that Gary at Genesis and Kevin at Evolution Acoustics utilize this technique as well.

4) Using speaker level inputs solves the subwoofer connection problem for people whose pre-amps do not have two sets of outputs.
    +1

I have actually done an 'AB' with my REL sub with the output from the recommended high level input ( from the speaker terminals on the amplifier) and the line level. IMO, the loss in SQ from the line level was quite profound! The line level was clearly ( to my ears) losing information and the sub seemed to have less "punch". YMMV.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    I would only use speaker level if I had no alternative (and yes I have done so in the past). But it sounds like another religious debate...

On topic, Rythmik offers models with speaker-level inputs, and I like mine as well or better than several other much higher-priced subs I auditioned a few years again (B&W, JL, Paradigm, Velodyne, etc. -- but not a REL; I heard one but not long enough to comment, and unless they are extremely good or very bad I find them harder to compare than regular speakers).
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    1) Has anyone compared in a familiar system the sound of a Q-Sub or S-Sub to the competitors such as JL Audio Gotham or Velodyne DD-18+ or REL No. 25 or REL G1 or REL Studio III (available used but no longer in production) or Seaton Submersive or Seaton F18 or Paradigm Sub 2?

2) Can someone who owns or sells Magico subwoofers please tell me if they can accept line level (speaker level) inputs (which is the REL connection method)?
    Line level is not speaker level. If the subwoofer has a XLR true balanced line input any one can implement a speaker level input with a few resistors that can be even located in the XLR plug. This "speaker level" method is known to transmit the "flavor" of the power amplifier to the subwoofer - some people will say it is a good thing, others will strongly with it.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    +1

I have actually done an 'AB' with my REL sub with the output from the recommended high level input ( from the speaker terminals on the amplifier) and the line level. IMO, the loss in SQ from the line level was quite profound! The line level was clearly ( to my ears) losing information and the sub seemed to have less "punch". YMMV.
    Interesting. What was the power amplifier?
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Interesting. What was the power amplifier?
    Did the 'AB' with both of my amps...one ss and one tube. Tube amp is the ARC D70Mk2 and the ss amp is my modded Rowland model 8T. Same result with both-- the amp speaker connection ( REL's preferred method) to the REL was better, IMO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast