Nagra HD amp...demoing this weekend

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Smokes. My dealer called, he was going out of town on vacation and wanted to know if I wanted the Nagra HD amps for a few days.

They've been plugged in for 2 hours. Sitting on books vs proper isolation. Still cold to the touch from being shipping from Vegas in sub zero weather. It's about 45 here. I let the acclimate to room temp for ~2 hours before turning on. Plus all my cables jiggled to get them installed...

I have NEVER heard my system like this. Will post more as they warm up...I see why the CES reports were so positive....Holy smokes...these are special.

50724021537__AA7C8E66-2127-4A7D-A348-EE9CC08D7267.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'd love to hear it as that was my intended replacement for my Playback Designs MPS-5 unit I read Mike and Edward's reports on the Aqua Formula

I have the HD amp vs the HD dac ... I swear this is special. Not comparing it to other things (just yet) vs what I've owned and heard...just saying it's GREAT & special ! And not sure it'll leave...yes that kind of change...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hold onto your wallet. Enjoy the weekend!!

I think the HD amp has a wallet stealer mode...maybe one of the rotary switch options ??

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have the HD amp vs the HD dac ... I swear this is special. Not comparing it to other things (just yet) vs what I've owned and heard...just saying it's GREAT & special ! And not sure it'll leave...yes that kind of change...

I know as I figured it out when I read it the second time and deleted mine :)

Everything Nagra is special

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Smokes. My dealer called, he was going out of town on vacation and wanted to know if I wanted the Nagra HD amps for a few days.

They've been plugged in for 2 hours. Sitting on books vs proper isolation. Still cold to the touch from being shipping from Vegas in sub zero weather. It's about 45 here. I let the acclimate to room temp for ~2 hours before turning on. Plus all my cables jiggled to get them installed...

I have NEVER heard my system like this. Will post more as they warm up...I see why the CES reports were so positive....Holy smokes...these are special.

View attachment 30793

Very Nice John! Eager to read your listening notes; keep us posted. I also suggest a dozen roses and a bottle of her favorite champagne before breaking the news!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very Nice John! Eager to read your listening notes; keep us posted. I also suggest a dozen roses and a bottle of her favorite champagne before breaking the news!

Haha ...i was thinking more of a comfy sofa...to sleep on for the next month ;-) !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look forward to hearing how they compare to other amps you've had, like Ayre, etc! I have not come across much about these amps...will do some reading.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Look forward to hearing how they compare to other amps you've had, like Ayre, etc! I have not come across much about these amps...will do some reading.

The HD's are in a way different league than Ayre........

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Jfrech - is there an end to this story - starts pretty good !

Phil

Pure enjoyment is the end...or is it the beginning...Seriously great amps-transformative to my every listening experience. Quiet background, loud rock n roll, or my usually small scale jazz...

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Congratulations - I did not realise you had made the jump - they look great in your setup

Cheers,

Phil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing