Oh Oh, I did a little mark/scratch on my WP

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Hello Wilson lovers !

I did a little mark/scratch on the paint of one of the heads :(
aprox 2 milimiters x 3 milimitters, very little but i can see a white color

How I can repair this little mark? Any suggestions?

Color: Ferrari Red.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wilson Audio can supply you a small quantity of paint if you have someone who can repair just the little mark, however as far as I have read in the past they can not send it by air mail to Europe due to shipping constraints - it is a flammable liquid, independently of being a very small quantity.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If it's Rosso Corsa go to Ferrari or any reputable body's hop assuming WA uses automotive paint of course.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Is it a scratch or a gouge? Get some high quality auto scratch remover and try to buff it out. You will be surprised how often this works. Run your fingernail across the scratch to see if it has significant depth. If it is really important to you seek professional help.
You tube has many helpful videos on scratch

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What color?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well, don't I feel like the donkey. Apparently, I missed that part of the post. My apologies.

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Thanks for your answers, I'll try advice from a local paint shop

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
Thanks for your answers, I'll try advice from a local paint shop

If you can see white, it probably means that the scratch is gone through into the primer under the paint. Your best bet would be to talk to car painting shop. With such a small scratch, you should be able to fill it multiple light layers of paint and polish/wax it. You should be able to get away without any sanding and just focus on the scratch.

Good luck.

Edit : Btw, a good auto detailing shop can also help with this.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
A word to the wise: DO NOT get involved with sanding and polishing a large area. if you have a 2 x 3 mm spot, treat just that spot. Keep it small. Thin the paint out and apply it with a 5-0 sable brush.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You should consult Wilson Audio. Getting a professional finish is more difficult than it appears. Just a simple matter like color matching. New paint will not match old paint that has aged. Moreover even if you get the color right they may have applied a lacquer as the final coat. Quite common on cars these days.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My .02 : probably all you want is just avoiding seeing the white spot and forgetting about it. My advice would be filling just the damaged zone, not a single micron plus with a matched color, using an extra thin brush with a minimum quantity of paint. Do not expect to get a perfect finish - the only possible way is painting the whole speaker, IMHO you should just try just to disguise it.

This paint is inexpensive - but try it another surface for color match and let it dry for a few days before using!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-ROSSO-RED-CAR-TOUCH-UP-PAINT-REPAIR-SCRATCH-BRUSH-IN-LID-/172311897362?hash=item281e96e512:g:0GgAAOSwZQxW5912

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Microstrip-Do you not grasp the OCD nature that is the audiophile?

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
My .02 : probably all you want is just avoiding seeing the white spot and forgetting about it. My advice would be filling just the damaged zone, not a single micron plus with a matched color, using an extra thin brush with a minimum quantity of paint. Do not expect to get a perfect finish - the only possible way is painting the whole speaker, IMHO you should just try just to disguise it.

This paint is inexpensive - but try it another surface for color match and let it dry for a few days before using!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-ROSSO-RED-CAR-TOUCH-UP-PAINT-REPAIR-SCRATCH-BRUSH-IN-LID-/172311897362?hash=item281e96e512:g:0GgAAOSwZQxW5912

Thank you Microstrip !. WA told me that I can order some Ferrari Red touch up paint from my authorized local Wilson Audio dealer - I'll ask them, if it too expensive I'll try the product you recommend me.
Also told me that the paint process is similar to an automotive process so it is a base coat then clear coat so any method that is safe to use on a car is safe to use on our speakers. Automotive waxes and polishes work just fine.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I had the same problem--I used Nail Polish carefully building up --it sinks with time-- then polishing with NOVUS on cotton bud worked fine but I see your scenario with the RED --mine was gloss Piano Black

Good you can get the real colour from Wilson.

They used to use the German Glasurit Two pack mix--like Porsche--maybe changed since.

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing