Tube Guru Tape Pre

ecx123

Dec 6, 2016
Hi All,

First time posting on this forum, very good information and fun to read.

I have an Ampex ATR102 setup by ATR Services for external pre. It has flux magnetic heads installed. It sounds great as it is but I want to take it to next level. Looking at the Tube Guru Tape pre. Wonder if there is there any body with experience with this tape pre? Other options would be the DeHavilland, Dolshi, Bottlehead and even the Decware but leaning towards Tube Guru.

Eric

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've tried most of them with a Studer. The ones I've tried with an ATR are the King/cello, DeHaviland and Aria.
The best I've heard and have, is the Doshi

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Tube Guru equipment is Awesome and SUPER VALUE for the money. Tape stage sounds great (with caveats below). Another caveat however is that designer modifies (improves?) product at HIS whim. You can't be sure (or have ANY control over) that you hear one; want one for yourself; order it and what comes in is DIFFERENT - even tube types! Happened three times so far with their phono preamp - which by the way is the best I've ever heard.

Charles

ps. the tape pre's we've heard have 2 or 3 positions of "input sensitivity". The "higher sensitivity" positions use step-up transformers which as I remember overload. Had the best results using the "straight-in" setting - and maybe bypassing the switch. And there was a separate hum issue - fuzzy memory here. There is no US service recourse (that I know of) if you have a problem.

Keith (owner) - you here/there with your impressions?

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
agreed Charles...the TG stuff sounds great. I like how the phono stage allows you to control the volume and bypass the main preamp all together.

ecx123

Dec 6, 2016
Picked up the TG tape pre. It has two xlr inputs that apparently is suppose to have gain but don't seem to work. It also has a knob for 7.5ips and 15ips tape. Never seen or heard of such a thing for a pre, and not sure if I can hear any difference between the two settings. The NAB IEC switch is an internal knob requiring the removal of the top cover - a PITA. When I got home I immediately plugged it into my pre using XLR and XLR out from my ATR102. NADA. Looked at all input output connections and everything seemed OK. Played with the switches and still deathly silence. Before panic set in I remember I heard it with RCA out and so I had to McIver some cables to get FXLR from ATR102 to MRCA into the pre..and voila sound! Playing TP Robert Cray it sounded bright and a bit thin. As I just recently acquired this tape and was not familiar with the material I thought is this how the master was originally recorded? A little underwhelming to say the least. After the first tape finished I took off the cover of the TG pre just to take a look and lo and behold, the knob was set to NAB. I turned it to IEC and played the next tape and now the magic was happening. Brightness was gone and it was sounding real good now. I can't compare it to any other external tape pre as I have not heard any other but it certainly was a lot better than the stock pre in the ATR102 which was a lot better than both the highly regarded Tandberg TD20SE and CROWN SX700 I have. The next evening I thought why don't I try the TG pre direct into my amps since it has volume controls. When I connected and played TP Suite Espanola - wow! It definitely was the next level. More open, greater resolution and much more "real" than I have ever heard in an audio system. I will have to say I have never before heard a system with a souped up R2R deck and killer tape pre before but have heard many super hi end systems up to a million dollars of gear playing vinyl and digital. Never before have I heard a performance as realistic and dynamic as I was hearing from my system. Now I can say I know what all the hype is about. Nothing compares to tape done right!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the review. How much is the TG tape pre? I couldn't find any pricing on their website. Thanks, Larry

ecx123

Dec 6, 2016
I listed my system on my profile but here is my main rig for those interested:
Kuzma XL4 TT, Kuzma 4 point, Dynavector XV1S, Miyajima Zero, Coincident Reference Phono
ATR102 redone by ATR Services w flux magnetic 1/2 track and 1/4 track heads, switch for on board or external pre, calibration, Tandberg TD20SE 1/4 track, Crown 700SX 1/2 track, Otari MTR10 1/2 track
Coincident Statement preamp w PSVANE replica WE101, Coincident Frankenstein 300B mono w PSVANE replica 300
Teresonic Ingenium speakers
Schiit Yggy DAC, Theta David transport, Beatis Revolution server, Lenovo T60 laptop server w SSHD
PC Coincident for Coincident gear, Furutech for everything else, interconnects are Audio Consultant silver RCA, Audio Consultant silver wire bare end for speaker cable, for tape Furutech XLR cables.
2 dedicated 20 amp circuit, Furutech GTX-D NCF wall receptacle, Torres balanced transformer for pre and phono, Furutech TP60 for amps, DAC and transport, Pure Sine Wave UPS for computers, HI Fi tuning fuses throughout, room treatment bass traps, 10 absorbsion and reflection panel throughout 14' x 16' room, custom stand w ancient 2" thick oak shelves, TT sitting on Mapleshade 4" maple block

ecx123

Dec 6, 2016
Hi Astrotoy,
The Tape Guru tape pre retails for $7500.00 and are made to order. I would ditch the XLR inputs and I think the tape speed selectors and request the NAB/IEC switch be placed on the face panel instead.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Hi Astrotoy,
The Tape Guru tape pre retails for $7500.00 and are made to order. I would ditch the XLR inputs and I think the tape speed selectors and request the NAB/IEC switch be placed on the face panel instead.

The current tape pre from TubeGuru has the NAB/IEC switch on the front faceplate.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Tube Guru equipment is Awesome and SUPER VALUE for the money. Tape stage sounds great (with caveats below). Another caveat however is that designer modifies (improves?) product at HIS whim. You can't be sure (or have ANY control over) that you hear one; want one for yourself; order it and what comes in is DIFFERENT - even tube types! Happened three times so far with their phono preamp - which by the way is the best I've ever heard.

Charles

ps. the tape pre's we've heard have 2 or 3 positions of "input sensitivity". The "higher sensitivity" positions use step-up transformers which as I remember overload. Had the best results using the "straight-in" setting - and maybe bypassing the switch. And there was a separate hum issue - fuzzy memory here. There is no US service recourse (that I know of) if you have a problem.

Keith (owner) - you here/there with your impressions?

Charles has a point but the circuit has changed for the better. We are currently at the Mk.3 iteration for the phono and it is substantially better than previous versions. What is not true is that there is no US service for phono and amp issues. For the tape pre any issues may need to be sent back to Hungary which is fully covered. Any phono and amp issues are handled here in the US.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Any photos on the tube guru tape pre ? Hardly an info on the Net

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
When I connected and played TP Suite Espanola - wow! It definitely was the next level. More open, greater resolution and much more "real" than I have ever heard in an audio system. Nothing compares to tape done right!

This, quintessentially, was my reaction upon first hearing this title from TP...it may be my favorite from their catalog. :cool:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
i´ve seen many pics of totally different models with meters etc
record and reproversions etc
used to be several pics on their website
never seen this unit before though
best
Leif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing