The Night Manager

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My wife and I watched this 6 part mini series drama over the past few days streamed via Amazon Prime. It was a terrific and exciting film to watch filled with suspense and drama. Based on the book by John LeCarre. Executive producers were Hugh Laurie and John LeCarre amongst a few others. This is definitely worth watching. Even though I thought Hugh Laurie was terrific in his role I was dumbfounded to see that he won the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor which IMO clearly should have gone to John Lithgow for his portrayal of Prime Minister Winston Churchill in The Crown. I listed the awards which the show won to indicate that it is indeed very good

Based on John le Carré's novel of the same name, "The Night Manager" is a crime drama following the work of former British soldier Jonathan Pine. Hotel night porter Pine is contacted by an intelligence operative who asks for his assistance to spy on international businessman Richard Roper. The entrepreneur is believed to have forged a criminal alliance between the secret arms trade and the intelligence community, prompting the need for surveillance. Pine attempts to infiltrate Roper's inner circle by becoming a felon himself, while keeping his mission a secret from his hotel colleagues and girlfriend.

Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special
2016 · Susanne Bier

Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Music Composition for a Limited Series, Movie or a Special (Original Dramatic Score)
2016 · Víctor Reyes

Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television
2017 · Olivia Colman

Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television
2017 · Hugh Laurie

Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
2017 · Olivia Colman

Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
2017 · Tom Hiddleston

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
We watched this on two successive weekends via NetFlix blu-ray. Agree it's a terrific mini-series storyline with great acting by both Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
My wife and I watched this 6 part mini series drama over the past few days streamed via Amazon Prime. It was a terrific and exciting film to watch filled with suspense and drama. Based on the book by John LeCarre. Executive producers were Hugh Laurie and John LeCarre amongst a few others. This is definitely worth watching. Even though I thought Hugh Laurie was terrific in his role I was dumbfounded to see that he won the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor which IMO clearly should have gone to John Lithgow for his portrayal of Prime Minister Winston Churchill in The Crown. I listed the awards which the show won to indicate that it is indeed very good

Based on John le Carré's novel of the same name, "The Night Manager" is a crime drama following the work of former British soldier Jonathan Pine. Hotel night porter Pine is contacted by an intelligence operative who asks for his assistance to spy on international businessman Richard Roper. The entrepreneur is believed to have forged a criminal alliance between the secret arms trade and the intelligence community, prompting the need for surveillance. Pine attempts to infiltrate Roper's inner circle by becoming a felon himself, while keeping his mission a secret from his hotel colleagues and girlfriend.

Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special
2016 · Susanne Bier

Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Music Composition for a Limited Series, Movie or a Special (Original Dramatic Score)
2016 · Víctor Reyes

Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television
2017 · Olivia Colman

Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television
2017 · Hugh Laurie

Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
2017 · Olivia Colman

Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
2017 · Tom Hiddleston

..will binge it post haste...thx Steve

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
This apparently is a really polarizing mini-series. I will have to check it out. Is this a recent Le Carre book? He lost me when he went all political a few years ago.

I'm half way through the Crown and don't like Lithgow at all, but confess I'm too young to remember Churchill or know his idiosyncracies.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
This apparently is a really polarizing mini-series. I will have to check it out. Is this a recent Le Carre book? He lost me when he went all political a few years ago.

I'm half way through the Crown and don't like Lithgow at all, but confess I'm too young to remember Churchill or know his idiosyncracies.

Le Carre is a difficult task. I personally did not like The Night Manager as the mini series left too much out in terms of the character development of the main character. If you want the best Le Carre, it's Sir Alex Guinness in Tinker, Taylor and Smiley's People. Everyone forgets about Smiley's people, 8.7 rating on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083480/

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Job interview for 007 by Tom Hiddleston

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
now that's news as IMO he would make a terrific 007 esp since Daniel Craig wants out

This looks good. And I think you're right he might be a good Bond. On a personal stake I can't wait for Daniel Craig to leave since he hates Bond.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We enjoyed the Night Manger and were to surprised at the awards it received. I read that if Le Carre gives the thumbs up they might expand on the Hiddleston's character in a future release. Olivia Coleman who played Angela is a wonderful actress and was amazing in both seasons of 'Broadchurch".

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
There was a report very recently in The Times that the BBC is planning a new TV production of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. I can't recall if they had decided who would play the lead role but Richard Burton would be a big act to follow.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There was a report very recently in The Times that the BBC is planning a new TV production of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. I can't recall if they had decided who would play the lead role but Richard Burton would be a big act to follow.

Wow. That jiggles my nemory. That was a terrific film.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing