Vibration isolation for passive components eg ground boxes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any thoughts on this? I'm next to spend some funds to Rollerblock my cdp and amps, but am intrigued as to whether passive boxes like Entreq or Troy might similarly benefit
Anybody tried?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Any thoughts on this? I'm next to spend some funds to Rollerblock my cdp and amps, but am intrigued as to whether passive boxes like Entreq or Troy might similarly benefit
Anybody tried?

in my case I use, with appreciated results, resonance control solution as Nordost Sort Kones.
Those are not "Vibration Isolation" tools but "resonance control" tools.
I think an recall which Barry uses other kind of resonance control tools.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anybody tried?

The Metronome Calypso has an optional 40 mm thick acrylic platform suspended on a rollerblock type suspension(stainless steel cups and ball) . I have listened to it with and without it and the sound quality enhancement was significant with it. But this platform was tuned specifically by the manufacturer for the Calypso - it also added a large slab with some weight.

IMHO most of this devices really change the sound - but also most of the time resulting in differences, not improvements.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Anybody tried?

If it has to do with the vibration isolation methodology, why bother? Don't you suppose with air-borne and internally-generated (motors, power supplies, etc) vibrations captured at the component there may already too much mechanical energy trapped within your components and releasing its energy within?

Now if on the other hand you were to apply the vastly superior mechanical energy transfer methodology, I'd say absolutely and the improvements should be outstanding.

I finally got around to doing just that a few years ago with my passive and dedicated Foundation Research line conditioners and over a period of time (it takes much time to settle) the improvements were many and immense.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anybody tried?
When I was doing the shootout of the Troy vs Entreq Silver Tellus, I did find that isolation on our floor did improve the Entreq. No idea why. Tripoint did benefit but it took way more to get even a small improvement...isolation under plus 10kg of weight on top of artesania damper.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Metronome Calypso has an optional 40 mm thick acrylic platform suspended on a rollerblock type suspension(stainless steel cups and ball) . I have listened to it with and without it and the sound quality enhancement was significant with it. But this platform was tuned specifically by the manufacturer for the Calypso - it also added a large slab with some weight.

IMHO most of this devices really change the sound - but also most of the time resulting in differences, not improvements.

I remember listening to the Metronome Kalista (without that platform) for the first time. I had not really heard of Metronome before, and I was just stopping by. My first thought was smooth but the frequency spectrum seemed 'uneven'...that was the word I used. I liked it but was not particularly impressed and said so. The distributor was still there...took 20 min and placed it on top of the Metronome base which they had just unpacked. I was intrigued since I had not seen such an acrylic base before, and it instantly became one of the top digital rigs in my experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing