Tandberg TB 10X

kimmme

Jan 22, 2017
DK
Hello from Denmark :)
I just got myself an old TB10X in a sorry state, but after cleaning/demag it plays okay.... but at a slightly lower speed
than normal-on all 3speeds, 9,5 19 and 38cm/sec.. It´s a 4track unit I bought for nostalgia reasons.. Bought one from new in 1977 (scrapped) and couldn´t resist this offer for about 80 euro´s..

Any help will be appreciated..
Mvh Kim.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Change the title of the topic to "Tandberg TD 10X" :cool:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ah! In the US, it was named just the "10X" (I had one for many years, later replaced by the TD-20A)

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Sorry, but I'm hung up on the "slightly slower speed than normal" issue. If the motor is a DC unit in some kind of a servo loop then - maybe "tweaking" one control will being it back to "normal". If it's an AC motor and supposed to lock onto your power line frequency, then you may have some kind of mechanical issue (something "dragging"). I had their TD20(A?) which was a GREAT sounding deck (like their cassette decks), once I overcame the "hardened up" lubrication issues with the transport. Good Luck!

Charles

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Another possible problem is that the 10X (US version) had a DC motor with variable speed control. Tandberg sold a wired remote control for the 10X which had a speed controller in addition to the standard transport controls. If you can't get that, there is a set screw (flathead, not Phillips) on the backside of the unit (accessible only with the case off) which can also change the speed. Perhaps at some time in the past that was set slow?

If you take the case off and post a photo of the back of the deck, I may be able to indicate that speed controlling screw for you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing