Amp recommendation for Focal Maestro

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
heard from few people that it's better to careful match electronic with Focal Maestro
can sound boring without the right components

plus the issue with the drop down under 2 ohm

any idea what can be good match?

Thanks

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Great systems and fantastic/perfect match with Burmester electronics. Years ago in New York I listened a set-up with Focal Utopia (not really the Maestro's) and the sales manager of showroom at that time was making a direct comparison with Top Soulution mono amps, Vitus monos amp and Burmester 911 Mk3 monos; each amp was driven by own brand pre amp. The digital source was common for all set-up, as well as the DCS Scarlatti. All outstanding sounds, but the Utopia's with Burmester set-up (911 Mk3 monos and 011) sounds much natural, alive and lifelike to those ears,including mine, attending that demo. Great match!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Pelo,

I am going to chime in on your speakers...fwiw, the dealer here auditions them with and without Transparent Ref XL jumper cables. Density of tone, clarity of upper bass are significantly improved. I was simultaneously experimenting with my X1s after reading about the solid copper bus plate in the back of the speakers...and when i went in to my dealer to inquire about TA jumper cables for them...they actually took me downstairs to show me how they had already done that with their big Focals.

I got a trial set, and eventually ordered their highest level jumper set AND still use the copper bus bar...and have never looked back.

I mention this because in terms of your concern about 'boring' and electronics...the increased density of tone and clarity of bass definition often (in my experience) helps keep things much more interesting...and may 'slightly' widen the options of amps for you.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
you mean to replace the 3 jumper on the back?
i think it's minor tweaking
my system have much bigger issue

i'm getting very weak bass
the sound not dynamic

didn't had chance to listen to many systems
i was at CES show few years ago
i liked the Magico S3 very much
like them a lot more them my system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

the sound not dynamic

Hi Pelo,

Was just commenting as a finetuning suggestion. Sounds like your issue is more than just amp matching...sounds like you are questioning the speaker itself which is quite different than your original post/title of this thread. I cannot say i have a lot of experience with your speakers. I suspect they could benefit from a LOT of high quality, high current?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

the sound not dynamic

Note, Audioblazer runs Focal Stella EMs and has the Vitus Masterpiece Monos...monstrously refined and powerful Class A amps.

Reactions: rau

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
heard from few people that it's better to careful match electronic with Focal Maestro
can sound boring without the right components

plus the issue with the drop down under 2 ohm

any idea what can be good match?

Thanks

what are you running them with now?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes that would be Good to know .
Please read the stereo phile review of Them online despite the high efficiency they seem hard to drive probably the impedance Being low
I m mobile now cant provide a link ,not enough power poor dynamics
what are you running them with now?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
These speakers ??

http://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...ii_loudspeaker/index.html#GcOEgpbVfqouGiBo.97

This character did seem somewhat amplifier-dependent. It was more noticeable with the Simaudio Moon Evolution W-7 that I've long used as a reference power amplifier than it was with the Classé CTM-600 monoblocks that arrived halfway through my time with the Focals (review to appear in the fall). More important, with the otherwise excellent Simaudio amp, the speakers didn't offer the unrestricted dynamics I'd expected. The highly sensitive Maestro Utopia III wouldn't, at least in theory, need a high-powered amplifier to play loud. Yet the 150Wpc Simaudio was clearly being asked for more than it could deliver.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-maestro-utopia-iii-loudspeaker-page-3#Th1SDI0ihFHGpzY0.99

It wasn't until the 600W Classé amplifiers took up residence in the system that I felt the Maestro Utopias were really giving me the dynamics they had promised all along
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-maestro-utopia-iii-loudspeaker-page-3#Th1SDI0ihFHGpzY0.99

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I have a full portfolio of amps that can drive the load down to .5 ohm from Aries Cerat.

I would recommend the Ianus amplifier.

It is a full Class A design up to 250W and would be more than sufficient for your needs.

Or you could go DHT SET if you dont need that much power

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Dear Pelo,

This is the same question that you have asked now on every single forum known to man for 5 years, lol.

I own the Maestros and they are not bass light or dull sounding at all. If anything, they can lean towards brightness with inept amplification. I recommend something with high current and stiff power supply that will allow it to be happy with low impedance.

My Analog Domain drives them to obscene uncontrained levels and that is putting out about 500W into 4ohms. Ask Kedar as he has heard them loads of times and can vouch for lots of bass that can make you jump and dull they are not. I had some huge Krell 750mcx mono's that created a gigantic stage but were much more laid back. I think Pass preamp with the Vitus might be causing your issue. Did you try the digital volume control direct into the Vitus btw just to check whether there is a mismatch between those 2? I have heard the Focal / Vitus combo and it works well but not with a Pass pre. What is your source - is it still the Oppo 105d? The Oppo is laid back in my system.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Dear Pelo,

This is the same question that you have asked now on every single forum known to man for 5 years, lol.

I own the Maestros and they are not bass light or dull sounding at all. If anything, they can lean towards brightness with inept amplification. I recommend something with high current and stiff power supply that will allow it to be happy with low impedance.

My Analog Domain drives them to obscene uncontrained levels and that is putting out about 500W into 4ohms. Ask Kedar as he has heard them loads of times and can vouch for lots of bass that can make you jump and dull they are not. I had some huge Krell 750mcx mono's that created a gigantic stage but were much more laid back. I think Pass preamp with the Vitus might be causing your issue. Did you try the digital volume control direct into the Vitus btw just to check whether there is a mismatch between those 2? I have heard the Focal / Vitus combo and it works well but not with a Pass pre. What is your source - is it still the Oppo 105d? The Oppo is laid back in my system.

yes, you are right
not 5 years, maybe 2-3 years.

I gave up and just accept that
and recently back to trying solve it.

maybe there is a issue in my system?

i bought the Maestro used
i noticed there is a white "wool" when i put my hand inside the port
you have it also? or maybe the previous owner add it to reduce bass?

they have great resolution
but not mid and low
very bad dynamic

i'm using only my PC with windows 10

recently i thought to get Devialet 440 , new model
i got offer to buy it for $9900
they have SAM feature for Focal Maestro setting.
to make it more simple
one device to replace everything.

i have also Pass X350.5

i'm afraid to spent more and more money and not be happy with the result
i tried to find Vitus amp (used) with no success.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/focal-maestro-utopia-loudspeakers/

that's wired that many people love the Focal Maestro
and i liked Magico S3 at the CES show much more.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Vitus SM 101 monos ??? , i m in love :)

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/vitus-audio-sm-101-monoblock-power-amp#SeqhTm7vEhU1JSK2.97

That changes the story , 100 watts vitus class A power cant drive them properly , ditch the speakers lol , get speakers with a much better impedance behaviour and at least the 93 db eff , like ..... i know a few speakers you could buy lol ;)

Besides my own , wilsons wil do it so will quite a few magicos to keep it in well known brand territory

;) http://zero-distortion.org/vitus-sm102/

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I would try a good quality /proven source (sa-cd) player and a different pre amp first before switching speakers .
You dont wanna end up having magicos and still have the same problem , as said pre amps have a lot to do with bass control , some are good some not so.

bonzo gonna read it :)

Ps i also understand they have a tuning system at the back , are they tuned in right ??

Some manufacturers put wool in their cabinet some others dont

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
yes, you are right
not 5 years, maybe 2-3 years.

I gave up and just accept that
and recently back to trying solve it.

maybe there is a issue in my system?

they have great resolution
but not mid and low
very bad dynamic

i'm using only my PC with windows 10

recently i thought to get Devialet 440 , new model
i got offer to buy it for $9900
they have SAM feature for Focal Maestro setting.
to make it more simple
one device to replace everything.

i have also Pass X350.5

i'm afraid to spent more and more money and not be happy with the result
i tried to find Vitus amp (used) with no success.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/focal-maestro-utopia-loudspeakers/

that's wired that many people love the Focal Maestro
and i liked Magico S3 at the CES show much more.

Devialet 440? To go from a very good amp like the Vitus to a Devialet to solve a load problem with the speaker?

I am not understanding this logic at all? What is your criteria for what is going to work with your speaker.

And I do agree with the majority that it would be a smart move to get a new speaker. There are very few companies making 1) well designed amps to add 2) a robust stage to down to <1 ohm.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I would try a good quality /proven source (sa-cd) player and a different pre amp first before switching speakers .
You dont wanna end up having magicos and still have the same problem , as said pre amps have a lot to do with bass control , some are good some not so.

Both his DAC/Pre have enough output to drive the Vitus properly. Seems like the shopping is done haphazardly through "what the best audiogon deal" rather than looking for a specific goal.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Devialet 440? To go from a very good amp like the Vitus to a Devialet to solve a load problem with the speaker?

I am not understanding this logic at all? What is your criteria for what is going to work with your speaker.

And I do agree with the majority that it would be a smart move to get a new speaker. There are very few companies making 1) well designed amps to add 2) a robust stage to down to <1 ohm.

i'm trying to see if everything plug correctly
i unplugged everything

why Devialet?
because it's one box for everything
and soundstageultra review plug it with Magico Q7 (i think much more demanding then my speakers)
and like it very much.

i'm afraid that because i don't really know what i'm doing
and i have mixed of components
maybe for me it's better to have amp, Pre and DAC in one simple box.
i'm not sure.

SM-101 amps:
1. i can choose Class A or Class AB , should i choose Class AB because need more power?

2. see the photos
the amp with Red RCA should be the Right amp?
there is two separate speakers outputs , which one i should choose?

Cables:
speakers: Cardas clear
Amps to Pre: Cardas Clear XLR
Pre to DAC: Tara 0.8 XLR
power cords:
amps: Purist Canorus (both plug to the same wall outlet)
Pre: Tara (not sure what model)
DAC: Zitron Alpha Digital

20170123_163524.jpg 20170123_162152.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...maybe there is a issue in my system?

do you have a dealer near you? if you did not buy from him, you may need to pay him to come help you out...if you think your speakers are not functioning correctly, then you may as well get that fixed first!

Alternatively, take pictures and call Focal and ask them for advice...that white wool thing does seem strange. while there is sometimes loose dampening material inside the bass cabinet...i would be surprised if it is actually coming out of the port!

as for amplification...you've got plenty of juice from the Vitus monos...that is serious power. someone asked about oppo...have you tried another source? i somehow doubt that is your problem. cannot speak about your pre and how it interacts with your amps...again, check the speaker?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing