Tube preamp for low gain A class solid state - need recommendations

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Hi everbody,

I would kindly ask you to help me to find the best (tube) preamp for my msb m204 monoblocks, which have a rather low gain of 18db (low setting=best soundwise).

I have tried ayon spheris iii and thrax dionysis but had rather mixed results: the drive, the presence and the body of the music has been somehow missing. I had better results with Beyond frontiers audio preamp (cca 25db gain) but the noise was high and the control was missing with complex music.

Interesting, when I connect my cdp Meridian 808.5 directly to msbs, the drive is quite good, but I am missing the warmth and the body of the tubes.

Speakers are Tad ref one.

So, I kindly ask you to recommend me a preamp which:
- is able to drive low gain A class power ampa
- is preferably tube (or hybrid) based
- has low output impendance
- is musical, organic (not sterile)

Thanks in advance.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi everbody,

I would kindly ask you to help me to find the best (tube) preamp for my msb m204 monoblocks, which have a rather low gain of 18db (low setting=best soundwise).

I have tried ayon spheris iii and thrax dionysis but had rather mixed results: the drive, the presence and the body of the music has been somehow missing. I had better results with Beyond frontiers audio preamp (cca 25db gain) but the noise was high and the control was missing with complex music.

Interesting, when I connect my cdp Meridian 808.5 directly to msbs, the drive is quite good, but I am missing the warmth and the body of the tubes.

Thanks in advance.

My favorite 2 preamps (that I've heard in my system) are the Koda K10 and the Nagra Classic pre. The Koda is low gain (+6db) so might be a match issue on that point. The Nagra Classic is a EXCELLENT preamp (+12db) and you might consider the balancing input and output transformers...Nagra uses tubes and very low output impedance (6ohm). It has a few options, the balancing transformers, the VFS (Vibration Free System) and a external power supply (MPS). I heard it in my system will all the options. It's quite special.

You have a choices here, I am sure others will chime in with other considerations...

Congrats on your 2nd post here-welcome !

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Nagra has a zero gain and a +12 db switch?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Perhaps the CJ GAT (Series 2)?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The Nagra has a zero gain and a +12 db switch?

It's +12db, but with a option to cut that to 0db for matching purposes I presume. When I had it in my system, I preferred the +12db setting...

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
jfrech - thank you for recommendations and kind words

ll21 - thanks, cj gat is on my radar, but it misses xlr outputs. Msb monoblocks only have xlr input for lower gain.

My understanding is that the preamp I am seeking for needs at least 20db gain and xlr outputs

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
jfrech - thank you for recommendations and kind words

ll21 - thanks, cj gat is on my radar, but it misses xlr outputs. Msb monoblocks only have xlr input for lower gain.

My understanding is that the preamp I am seeking for needs at least 20db gain and xlr outputs

Hi Tbzc,

FWIW, i use the CJ GAT with my Gryphon Colosseum (which is also XLR only), and i cannot think of a preamp i prefer. 26db gain and less than 100ohm output impedance if that is something you are focusing on. I basically have neutrik adaptors RCA-XLR into the Gryphon.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Tbzc,

FWIW, i use the CJ GAT with my Gryphon Colosseum (which is also XLR only), and i cannot think of a preamp i prefer. 26db gain and less than 100ohm output impedance if that is something you are focusing on. I basically have neutrik adaptors RCA-XLR into the Gryphon.

Lloyd has a point here...I was always a 100% balanced guy. Fully balanced from cartridge to (din to xlr cables) to speakers. Ditto on digital. Then one day my dealer brought a single ended phono stage by. Ran it via RCA to XLR adapters into my BAT VK51SE (at the time) fully balanced pre (didn't even have a RCA connector). Obviously several factors are a play here...but balanced doesn't always mean better. Does not surprise me what Lloyd is saying about his CJ pre into his Gryphon amp...

That CJ is one of the worlds great preamps...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi everbody,

Thanks in advance.

Give NAT a try. My Plasma has a big sound with huge dynamics and nice tone and presence. They don't make this model anymore but try one of their newer models. The Kondo G70 would also be an interesting preamp to look into...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Give NAT a try. My Plasma has a big sound with huge dynamics and nice tone and presence. They don't make this model anymore but try one of their newer models. The Kondo G70 would also be an interesting preamp to look into...

Oh, I forgot, definitely give Aries Cerat a try! They might be the best out there.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
with 40kohms using the low balanced setting, you shouldn't have a problem with most tube preamps from an impedance matching perspective. I'm not sure many preamps have 20db+ gain though which is super high.

I have been looking into tube preamps for fun, but don't find many interesting ones. I concur with JFrech that I would hunt down a Nagra Classic as my first audition.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
The Aries Cerat Incito or Impera preamps are an excellent match for lower gain amps + they tick all the boxes you mention.

I am not sure about the Incito but certainly the Impera has got a Transformer-coupled Volume Control which typically has very little attenuation. In combination with its 17dB gain, it drives low gain amps very well.

The explanation being that Aries Cerat's own Concero amps are very low gain themselves so they can do with the extra drive.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I second this rec. Great preamp that as noted is made to work with SS Class A amps like yours.

Got turned on to it through your excellent review on PFO Bob. :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Try the CAT Renaissance Black path or the CAT Legend. Both can be now had with balanced outputs ( although I'm not sure that Ken thinks that highly of balanced?? LOL).

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing