Lampizator Versus Aesthetix Pandora?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
most interested to follow this thread and hear what Mike L has to say about the transport/dac combination in a couple weeks...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Ken.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Ahem-- PS Audio Drive?--sorry not on my watch:eek:

BruceD

Why so dismissive of PS Audio? Just because it is not crazy expensive does not make it unworthy of consideration if its design sounds great.

My question was about the efficacy of reading the data from the spinning disc and storing it in a memory device so the DAC can receive the data from the memory device rather than from the spinning disc. My question is whether this makes sense theorectically and does it improve the sound quality in practice?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

Happy New Year. We have come a very long way since the event in Munich last year with significant upgrades to the SGM hardware, operating system, and DSP settings in HQ Player. We have also learnt a lot about getting the best out of PCM DAC's, and on New Year's Eve, the SGM won a Blue Moon award.

What we are finding is that the current crop of discrete component R2R ladder DAC's are exhibiting a clear superiority over chipped R2R DAC's

Put a discrete R2R DAC on top of an active anti-vibration platform, and the digital playback is very significantly closing the gap with top class vinyl

The latest version of the Lampi GG is using high precision R2R boards, and has a significantly upgraded clocks for its USB receiver

Mike Lavigne has been getting jaw dropping results with his triple play of SGM > Aqua Formula sitting on Herzan

If you would like to demo a Aqua Formula we can arrange that, also if you wish to demo a Lampi GG we can arrange that too

Dear Ed,

How do you describe the sonic differences between the Formula and the La Scala II?

What type of listener might prefer one over the other?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Dear Ed,

How do you describe the sonic differences between the Formula and the La Scala II?

What type of listener might prefer one over the other?

Hi Ron,

I have not had the chance to hear the La Scala II yet. We have some neighbors in Holland who are getting a La Scala II Optologic so we will try to get together with them to compare the units. It will take some time for the units to have at least 200 hours on them

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi All,

The other belt drive transport that no one seems to know about but is made by the designer of the cec (Carlos Candeias) is his BMC transport - vastly cheaper and good for the dosh.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Why so dismissive of PS Audio? Just because it is not crazy expensive does not make it unworthy of consideration if its design sounds great.

My question was about the efficacy of reading the data from the spinning disc and storing it in a memory device so the DAC can receive the data from the memory device rather than from the spinning disc. My question is whether this makes sense theorectically and does it improve the sound quality in practice?
should be an in improvement. The Lauferteknic Memory Player does this, as did the discontinued Prasound Z1 CD player and now Auralic Aries does the same from firmware 4.0

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi All,

The other belt drive transport that no one seems to know about but is made by the designer of the cec (Carlos Candeias) is his BMC transport - vastly cheaper and good for the dosh.

Hi Bill, long time no hear from.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Last time I checked the Lampizator has more tubes in it than the Aesthetix. Why would anyone want a caramel coating to their sound. I think you are thinking of tube stuff from the 90's.

The Stock Atlantic has 2 tubes in it.
You say Lampi like there is just one model.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Yes --no disrespect to the Drive--could be OK--Its just every time I hear a PS Audio Demo or audition--I have friends with various items --they leave me cold-sorry

Purely personal-- try the Drive by all means --just not for me:(

BruceD

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill, long time no hear from.

Hi Norm,

Hope you are well - been really busy with a massive building project at home - life been crazy since October and without hifi. Will be set back up next week thank goodness!!

Cheers

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Norm,

Hope you are well - been really busy with a massive building project at home - life been crazy since October and without hifi. Will be set back up next week thank goodness!!

Cheers
LoL

I have been to London 5 times since then...not been fun...as I told you.

I did met Ked and PhilipAC on one of those trips though. BTW, Harrods has the Beolab 90 speakers!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
• Jitter free digital interface AQlink (I2S protocol), uncompromising digital connection to La Scala DAC, La Voce DAC

• etherCON RJ45 (AQlink) output connection to DAC, employs CAT6 cable can connect both RJ45 and professional etherCON RJ45Digital Output

2 S/PDIF 75 ? :
- 1 coaxial BNC
- 1 coaxial RCA
1 AES/EBU (XLR) 110 ?
1 AQlink - I2S serial bus (etherCON RJ45)
1 AT&T (ST Fiber .

The AQlink has the biggest potential of those mentioned, as it does not rely on SPDIF interface.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The AQlink has the biggest potential of those mentioned, as it does not rely on SPDIF interface.

I would have to agree given my experience with the Stahl Tek combo ,it sounded best with their proprietary i2S link similar to the AQ link .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would have to agree given my experience with the Stahl Tek combo ,it sounded best with their proprietary i2S link similar to the AQ link .

same with Zanden...i2s is best of the connections. BNC link was good but not close. RCA was last...i think there was one more but did not try.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Hi Ron!

That question is something I can answer... And it's a positive in both cases!

If a CD transport is involved these days, I prefer it to use the method you describe (read ahead and buffer/reclock in memory, then send to DAC) than the "brute force" approach carried by TEAC/Esoteric/dCS in their transports.

The performance benefits are clear, both in theory as well as in practice, and the fact that that the drive unit itself can be relatively cheap also helps matters, as all drive units will eventually need to be replaced (they wear outt).

The MSB transports also uses a dedicated, two-way interface between DAC and transport, that allows not only for the buffering, but for the complete "slaving" of the transport to the DAC's clock.

PS Audio has also adopted this approach for their transports (now in their second generation, IIRC).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much!

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The MSB transports also uses a dedicated, two-way interface between DAC and transport, that allows not only for the buffering, but for the complete "slaving" of the transport to the DAC's clock.)

MSB's system works well, and sounds markedly better than spdif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing