AC Polarity and the reduction of noise and hum

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...very common with Japanese audio products. Luxman and Esoteric, as I recall. My Luxy gear has a three-prong plug and cable...but earth ground is not connected at the IEC inlet e.g. no ground connection at the wall.

Reactions: Amir

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If you can avoid safety earth you should. But not all designs have such luxury.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Yes , the circuits of TAD Reference D600/C600/M700 are floated and fully balanced.

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Yes , the circuits of TAD Reference D600/C600/M700 are floated and fully balanced.
Hello Amir. Have you ever experienced electric noise coming from the C600 power supply itself (not the preamp) ? Thanks for your answer

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Hello Amir. Have you ever experienced electric noise coming from the C600 power supply itself (not the preamp) ? Thanks for your answer
Hello Stef

There is no problem with my C600 but to answer to your question how can I check electric noise come from PSU?

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Hello Stef

There is no problem with my C600 but to answer to your question how can I check electric noise come from PSU?
Maybe my question was no so clear... With my C600 the external power supply is producing a noise. I was wondering if it's a common issue or is it linked to something else ?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This thread has many paths and the posting seems to mix them at times
as for psu noise all psu s have ripple the ripple is most times of AC power. Now if we could make them be in sync not additive this lowers the ripple
As we connect the gain Stages.In some cases one could try to swap the input power cords. if 2 phases are used this seems to be ok in thought. If it’s 120 Volts meaning Phase to ground it’s still possible but not recommend by me.
if the input does not use the ground as a poster above said then it’s ok I feel. But if they do use the ground this then gets complicated.

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
This thread has many paths and the posting seems to mix them at times
as for psu noise all psu s have ripple the ripple is most times of AC power. Now if we could make them be in sync not additive this lowers the ripple
As we connect the gain Stages.In some cases one could try to swap the input power cords. if 2 phases are used this seems to be ok in thought. If it’s 120 Volts meaning Phase to ground it’s still possible but not recommend by me.
if the input does not use the ground as a poster above said then it’s ok I feel. But if they do use the ground this then gets complicated.
Thanks Alrainbow. It's acoustic noise coming from the C600 PSU. There no ground on all the TAD power plugs. I tried several power cords but no real difference. I was wondering if it was possible to be the phase...
To be clear the C600 itself is dead quiet I'm just talking about the PSU producing a kind of mechanical / electrical noise

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If it’s acoustic how large is the pau meaning amps
Larger transformers can be effected by dc offset and makes them him or growel
if it’s smaller like a pre amp or phono pre im
Guessing it always hums.
comment on the size please
If small no power cord or phase will help. You can place it on rubber feet and tighten all screws
Lastly place a Heavy object with a pad in between
This will absorb the vibration but make sure it can vent and anything uses is non ferrous

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
If it’s acoustic how large is the pau meaning amps
Larger transformers can be effected by dc offset and makes them him or growel
if it’s smaller like a pre amp or phono pre im
Guessing it always hums.
comment on the size please
If small no power cord or phase will help. You can place it on rubber feet and tighten all screws
Lastly place a Heavy object with a pad in between
This will absorb the vibration but make sure it can vent and anything uses is non ferrous
PSU size is big. Is it your question?

Attachments

• C9EC9FEA-3D03-405B-8E55-ADC30F195E3F.jpeg
    C9EC9FEA-3D03-405B-8E55-ADC30F195E3F.jpeg
    665.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 752651F3-8998-462A-AD06-36E8393D6B9D.jpeg
    752651F3-8998-462A-AD06-36E8393D6B9D.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 7

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
We stick to our opinions for various reasons. On Audiophile matters, it is all good
It is snot so benign for matters of LIFE and DEATH. When it comes to electricity and in particular of safety ground and other lifesaving concepts, the audiophile life and that of people he/she cares or at the very least should care about, are the issues. Accepting the facts would have been the wise thing. Some prefer to debate just for the sake of being right right putting in that sense the lives of less knowledgeable people in harm's way. That is Very unfortunate.
If I may borrow from a sign I see when traveling through small towns" We have many[Audiophiles]. Bit none to spare."
Mother nature is a fickle bitch, When the conditions are right she acts. No exceptions. No second chances. Don't play with electricity. Even professional electricians have tools to assure the electricity has drained form a circuit after killing the power.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Stef

I think Alrainbow is right, the DC-offset of AC line could produce acoustic noise in big transformers.
The C600 transformer is 400VA.
If you have TAD power amplifier then you should hear the same noise from Power amplifier.

AC quality is different across time and you may hear less or more noise in different times.

do not worry about lifted earth wire , it does not matter.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Stef

I think Alrainbow is right, the DC-offset of AC line could produce acoustic noise in big transformers.
The C600 transformer is 400VA.
If you have TAD power amplifier then you should hear the same noise from Power amplifier.

AC quality is different across time and you may hear less or more noise in different times.

do not worry about lifted earth wire , it does not matter.
Thanks Amir. Yes this what I have noticed too. Noise level can be different from time to time. Power Amps are very quiet honestly (I'm using 2 class D TAD M1000).
Once I tried a power regeneration device only for the preamp but the result was horrible...
Thanks again for all your answers!

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Thanks Amir. Yes this what I have noticed too. Noise level can be different from time to time. Power Amps are very quiet honestly (I'm using 2 class D TAD M1000).
Once I tried a power regeneration device only for the preamp but the result was horrible...
Thanks again for all your answers!
only big transformers have acoustic noise and and class d does not use transformer in PSU.
Class D PSU has no acoustic noise .
if you use IGBT AC power generation then you have only two option:
1. connecting all equipments to AC regenerator
2. disconnecting all equipments from AC Regenerator and turning AC regenerator off

Class D IGBT AC regenerators will degrade the incoming AC power.

I think over 50w amplifiers need big AC regenerators and I have tested 100A 230V ABB UPS (18.000w) to supply my TAD system.
the sound was not good.
I think you should remove All UPS/Inverter/Filter and connect TAD systems to AC main. you can try a good AC cable from AC panel to your room for TAD.
I have paid thousands dollars for testing different AC Filters AC regenerators Ground Solutions and ... All were bad

Reactions: mtemur and Stef

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Leakage current standards :

The typical leakage current values for a Class I device are 300 µA in a patient-care area and 500 µA outside that area. For a Class II device, the values are 150 µA in a patient-care area and 250 µA outside that area.

There is only one significant national deviation for leakage current measurement in Japan. For leakage currents with a frequency component greater than 1 kHz, the leakage currents must not exceed 10 µA. The IEC 60601-1 measuring device is used, but with the 10-kž resistor bypassed by a switch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing